Primary/Secondary Tactics

This is a discussion on Primary/Secondary Tactics within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I wasn't sure where to put this, so I "dropped it" here. If it needs to be moved I ask that the mods be so ...

Thread: Primary/Secondary Tactics

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I "dropped it" here. If it needs to be moved I ask that the mods be so kinds as to either move it or delete it as needed.

I was forced to switch hands a few years ago due to medical reasons.

I'm naturally right handed, but shoot/carry my "Primary" left handed. I select a "larger than normal" as my EDC for my left hand. Lately, past five years, it's been either a 3" GP100, Glock 19 or 1911 and the "Secondary" is a J-Frame or SP101.

I was wondering if anybody else has "switched hands" so to speak? I look forward to the replies and thanks in advance.

Biker

Administrator
    I havent switched hands, but I am currently trying to become just as good with my left as I am my right. Its tough, but doable.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've never HAD to switch shooting hands, but is something to practice doing. Being forced to switch shooting hands, as in your case, you know ahead of time and have been practicing. One could be in a situation of an injury shortly before or during...a crime attempted on one's person...then what?

Shooting with the off hand is something that many SD courses stress, but certainly something that I don't practice enough of...

After so many years, do you find that you have become proficient with the other hand?

Hopefully you'll get some interesting responses.

Stay armed...use both hands...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was born right handed but after a spinal cord injury that caused partial paralysis to my right hand I was required to shoot left handed,with practice I have become a pretty good shot,shotgun is still beginner level on wing shooting since i haven't done hardly any since i got hurt,Rifle isn,t as accurate due to some muscle tremor when squeezing trigger but I can put them COM out to 300 yards pretty easy
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JD
    Administrator
    I'm right handed, left eye dominant, I actually shoot more accurately with my left, but my right is definitely my "strong" hand.

I shoot lefty a bit when I go to the range, eventually, I'll set a side some money and some time, get a LH holster and work my left hand more than my right, once I get past the RH reflex actions, I think I'd actually like to be primarily lefty with my guns as that would leave my strong hand open for negotiating obstacles, I also think I'd get a smoother reload using my right hand.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am right handed and left eye dominate, also. I have been advised many times to switch hands. I just can't bring myself to do it. I should try and see if my accuracy improves.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

I found that once i shot only left hand that it has now become second nature,I would suggest doing a lot of dry firing with your off hand to develope motor skills and muscle memory,then maybe shoot equally with both hands so you can be good with either
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

+ 1

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I havent switched hands, but I am currently trying to become just as good with my left as I am my right. Its tough, but doable.
    I practice with both hands..

Senior Moderator
    I am ambidexterous so its never been much of an issue.

Although I tend to shoot right handed because I am right eye dominate, shooting with the left works just as well for me.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

jfl
    I recently came down with osteo-arthritis in my right hand so I have been retraining to use my left hand for about everything.
    Shooting was easy as most other chores; the most difficult ones were using TP (for its intended purpose) and writing decently; but it can be done.
    Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I shoot almost as well with either hand. I carry my 1911 on the right. When I eventually get a J-frame, I'm probably going to wear it on the left, whether I have my 1911 or not... (why wouldn't I have my 1911?). I'm naturally right handed in all things, but trained-ambidextrous.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Sponsored Links