Make the target move at a standard range.

This is a discussion on Make the target move at a standard range. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone ever try and do something a little different at a standard gun range? Last week at the range I did something a little different. ...

Thread: Make the target move at a standard range.

Anyone ever try and do something a little different at a standard gun range?

Last week at the range I did something a little different.

I go to a range that has a target holder that sends the target down range based on how far you want to place it up to 74 feet. You don't just move it back and forth. On a key pad you have to enter the distance.

I was using target stickers and placed 4 stickers a target (I know, they come this way, but I was just about done with my range time).

I sent the target down 74 feet. Then hit the button to return the target. As the target returned (at a good rate of speed) I emptied a clip of 15 from a Glock 31 (standard / full size .357 Sig). I took turns targeting each target.

I did good, and enjoyed the the change. Wish I could figure out how to make is move side to side.

I've never been, but I really need to get out to a combat training range.

The indoor range where I go occasionally has the target retrieve system. Most of them do, but mine is way too fast on returns. Run off garage door openers with fast gear ratio. The targets will actually fly backwards maybe leaving about 20% of the target visible, but I guess I could tie some sort of weights on the bottom? That is cool idea though. Movement......let's see now.... Whenever I go to the range, I'm usually the only one there for the duration. If you want movement, and the target stands don't move, do a little movement of your own if you're alone. Take a couple of plastic 55 gallon barrels and use them for cover while engaging your target(s). Just an idea.

Next time try sending it out 25 yards then with gun on armrest,hit return with 10 rounds fire then reload and fire 10 more,try to do it before it hits the 10 yard mark.We use cardboard targets for backers to keep the paper target straight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Some of the indoor ranges I've been too would not like shooters taking shots at targets as the holder returns or moves out.

You are also hampered/prevented from moving offline yourself as the target moves towards or away from you.

I feel fortunate to be a member of a club with an "action range" where I can set up targets and move around.

Still, a good idea if you're limited to an indoor range.

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    Some of the indoor ranges I've been too would not like shooters taking shots at targets as the holder returns or moves out...
    I feel a little in the wrong, as I tend to spout off on how you need to respect the rules of a range.

Ya, at the range I did this, I think I was breaking rules. Sure they don't like moving target. Positive they don't allow shots as quick as I was shooting them. I was the only one in the range, they have told me if I arrive early I could DT (they have rules against DT, but that is just because they are not sure of the ability of everyone who enters the range and sometimes they get packed). I don't think they had a problem with what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    ...club with an "action range" where I can set up targets and move around...
    Thanks for the term, now I can search around for a "action range." I have also heard them called combat pistol courses.

I really wish I could do the walk down the street and shoot at targets that pop up.

Money is an issue. I'm thinking about setting up something on the family property for a RC car and a target. I have not considered all the safety issues yet. Just rough thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post

Thanks for the term, now I can search around for a "action range." I have also heard them called combat pistol courses.

I really wish I could do the walk down the street and shoot at targets that pop up.

Money is an issue. I'm thinking about setting up something on the family property for a RC car and a target. I have not considered all the safety issues yet. Just rough thoughts.

If possible, find a nearby gun club that hosts IDPA/IPSC/SASS matches. My club has an "action range/area" that consists of 7 bays that can be used to set up the match stages, and can be used by qualified club members when matches aren't taking place.

Good luck,

-JT

Sponsored Links