Dave Spaulding on WW2 Combat Methods

This is a discussion on Dave Spaulding on WW2 Combat Methods within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=16029 I personally trained my son-in-law for his Ohio CCW permit and we were in my garage cleaning our guns when my Dad stopped in. ...

Thread: Dave Spaulding on WW2 Combat Methods

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

http://www.stoppingpower.net/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=16029

I personally trained my son-in-law for his Ohio CCW permit and we were in my garage cleaning our guns when my Dad stopped in. He is a WWII veteran of Iwo Jima and I had no idea until recently what he went through. Naturally the discussion moved to weapons and tactics and my father started to show my son-in-law some of the WWII Combatives techniques that he was taught in boot camp. His recall of what he had learned was nothing short of amazing! He told my son-in-law "Remember Less Is More...don't do what you don't have to... its just a waste of time and effort." I stood there, once again, and looked at my 81 year old father with amazement and awe!

What he did was once again remind me that we need to keep things simple and that advanced tactics really are the basics mastered. It is really easy to get all wrapped up in all of the Ninja crap that is floating around, but I doubt that any of these new age SWAT/CQB/XYZ/Ninja masters will be able to remember what they currently profess to be cutting edge 60 years from now, let alone demonstrate same!

I for one will stand aside and let all of these new age wonders expound on this new gun, that new piece of gear or this new tactic/technique which was founded deep within the belly of some super secret unit that can't be talked about. This stuff is not for me! There are only so many ways to shoot a gun or throw a punch and they have all been invented. If you want to learn something new, read an old book. FWIW...

Lead Moderator
    Your link is bad, looks like it didn't copy completely.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Your link is bad, looks like it didn't copy completely.
    Link is fixed.

I recently attended an advanced combatives seminar in which Dave Spaulding was the main speaker. Dave explained how he believes in the SIG principle (simple is good). Everything he teaches meets this criteria and his methodology lines up very closely with my way of thinking. He explained how a friend of his fathers who was a WWII vet gave hime some of the best combat advice he ever got when he was still a police cadet. He is an excellent instructor and communicator who mixes humor with real world experience. If you ever have a chance to train with him do it, you will not be disappointed.

Interesting... I was taught similar no non-sense type of techniques by my father and grandfather. Because of the mind and skill sets they instilled in me, it save my bacon in Iraq. I just wonder what took him so long to talk to his father?

Sponsored Links