Airsoft Training

This is a discussion on Airsoft Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read a post here at the beginning of November asking how often you train. Some of you said that you used airsoft replicas to ...

Thread: Airsoft Training

Airsoft Training

I read a post here at the beginning of November asking how often you train. Some of you said that you used airsoft replicas to train with. Check out this video as it may be something that you could use.

YouTube - Airsoft Gun Training

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor
    I like the idea of that target stand a lot. I might have to buy a few for the backyard training.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Vested,

Thank you for the heads up and posting this item.
    Very interesting...

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

jfl
    I have a G-26 airsoft that I use for training. The first shot is pretty realistic, the double-tap or the 2 COM 1 head are not. The almost total lack of recoil makes it "too easy".
    However, better than nothing ...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I've used air soft for training in the past when at home. Its an excellent idea, but you don't want to get use to using an air soft....the lack of recoil makes it too unreal
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Airsoft Training

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I've used air soft for training in the past when at home. Its an excellent idea, but you don't want to get use to using an air soft....the lack of recoil makes it too unreal
    I agree that the recoil is not as intense as a real firearm, but the ability to train more often while saving money is attractive. This still allows you to practice all of the other movements that are apart of the drills and get shot accuraccy feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Vested View Post
    I agree that the recoil is not as intense as a real firearm, but the ability to train more often while saving money is attractive. This still allows you to practice all of the other movements that are apart of the drills and get shot accuraccy feedback.
    Thats why I have used air soft. The range isn't too fond of tactical drills. I've actually been asked not to "rapid fire" at one range...The guy told me I was shooting too fast.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

VIP Member
    Interesting. I probably don't do enough air soft stuff to rate getting something like this, but I'll keep it in mind.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Get a large cardboard box that a TV,Refridge,etc. came in.
    Open up the top and cut v-notches on the ends.
    Lay a piece of PVC pipe, dowel rod, etc. in the notches and hang piece of carpet,rug,sheet or towel across it and let it hang down on the inside.
    Pin targets on the outside and shoot away. It will last 1,000's of rds. and captures the BB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Grant View Post
    Get a large cardboard box that a TV,Refridge,etc. came in.
    Open up the top and cut v-notches on the ends.
    Lay a piece of PVC pipe, dowel rod, etc. in the notches and hang piece of carpet,rug,sheet or towel across it and let it hang down on the inside.
    Pin targets on the outside and shoot away. It will last 1,000's of rds. and captures the BB's.

Thanks Ken. The solution that you describe may work but doesn't seem to offer the portability that this product does. I have seen a lot of make shift target videos on You Tube similar to the one you described.

This is merely PVC tubing and fittings with some sort of custom sewn blanke/tarp made to fit the frame. A good idea and something most can do on their own. It really isn't even required to sew the cloth catcher. It could be held in place with clamps or clips of some sort. It is a great idea for practice, especially practice deploying your firearm.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Airsoft does allow you to do things that are difficult to practice on many ranges like drawing from concealment, shooting while moving, from different positions, from behind different cover etc. It also allows you to practice realistic scenarios with others to see how you will react when not standing in a shooting booth. The lack of recoil and noise does take away from realism but I think they are an excellent training tool to add to your regular practice.

I built a frame sort of like that out of PVC for training. Doesn't have a BB catcher though. I put a blanket under it to catch BBs.

Links