Becoming an Instructor?

This is a discussion on Becoming an Instructor? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, I'm looking for experienced advice on becoming a basic-skills firearms instructor. I'm not wanting to start a school or be a big name, ...

Thread: Becoming an Instructor?

Becoming an Instructor?

Hello all,

I'm looking for experienced advice on becoming a basic-skills firearms instructor. I'm not wanting to start a school or be a big name, but I would like at some point to be able to offer credentialed basic instruction on an occasional basis to those in my community who are considering taking up a firearm for the first time. I'd want to offer what a person would need to help them choose a firearm, maintain it, operate it, and be safe with it, with the idea that they would then have the skills and confidence level to move on to an entry-level tactical course with a more experienced instructor.

It appears that NRA certification to teach the First Steps and Basic courses might be the way to go, if I understand those courses correctly. I'm a little unclear on the prerequisites, though... the NRA site says only

Possess and demonstrate a solid background in firearm safety and shooting skills acquired through previous firearm training (such as completion of an NRA Basic Firearm Training Course) and/or previous shooting experience.
    I believe I meet those criteria, but I'd really like to hear from someone who is a certified instructor and has gone on to teach courses. What do you consider the "must have" skills and training in order to be effective? What is the certification like? Would you recommend any particular instructor-training program?

Thanks,
    faithmyeyes

2. Remove Ads

I cannot speak for the civilian side (even though I need to convert my LE certs to civilian) but of the four FI courses I have taken the NRA crammed the most amount of information in the smallest amount of time with the best results.

They are just about the only game in town for civilian to get an FI certification. They have a good program and are excepted most places.

jfl
    Call the NRA and find who teach the Instructor course in your area, then you can discuss with that person and have your questions answered.
    Mine was a 6 hours course (many years ago)
    The course is well structured and the documentation is very good.
    Worth checking.
    PM me if you want more info.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

NRA is the way to go. Good info, not difficult to do if you've been around firearms. Open book tests usually. You first have to take the BIT Course or Basic Instructor Training course then you can move on to the Basic Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PPIH, PPOH, Home firearm safety or RSO ...The Basic Pistol course allows you to also teach the First Steps Pistol Course. The NRA has the training guides you need to conduct your class as an Instructor and the Student materials to give your students. Once you get through all that you just have to wait on your certification which takes a few weeks then I highly recommend getting some liability Insurance. You can call the NRA training dept. or go on line at the NRA site and do a search for trainers in your area.

New Member Array old deaf coach's Avatar
    Consider this..........while the NRA is excellant & just what u want for the goals ur talking abt, KIDS r the future of our sport as well as tomorrow's voters. The 4H provides excellant courses geared towards teaching youth abt shooting.

If I get my RSO cert, can I be a range nazi and yell at people too? That always looked like so much fun to me!

Grouchy old farts are exactly why I hate most ranges. Don't get me wrong, I love the few 4-H and other youth programs out there, and would love to see EVERYONE carrying a firearm properly trained. But the overwhelming group of guys working ranges are egotistical asses that I don't want anyone to emulate!
    Last edited by AZ Husker; November 18th, 2008 at 01:32 AM.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by faithmyeyes View Post
    Hello all,

I believe I meet those criteria, but I'd really like to hear from someone who is a certified instructor and has gone on to teach courses. What do you consider the "must have" skills and training in order to be effective? What is the certification like? Would you recommend any particular instructor-training program?

Thanks,
    faithmyeyes
    Hello,

I am an NRA certified instructor and also an instructor trainer.

The instructor training course will teach you how to teach and the discipline specific lesson plans will provide the material to be taught.

In short, to become an instructor, you will need Basic Instructor Training followed by one or more discipline specific courses. There is a pre course assessment that is (usually) administered prior to the start of the course. This contains written, gun handling, and shooting segments.

I suggest locating a training counselor (instructor trainer) in your area. The NRA's web site can be helpful here, provided the course has been published by the person holding it. If you don't see anything listed for your area, call the NRA's training department and they will be able to assist you in finding something.

I think that one of the most beneficial "must have" skills is the ability to effectively communicate (verbally) with others.

Randy

Links