The best training site?

This is a discussion on The best training site? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was considering taking some training...well, more like a lot of training in shooting in the next couple of years. There are many places around ...

Thread: The best training site?

The best training site?

I was considering taking some training...well, more like a lot of training in shooting in the next couple of years. There are many places around the US that teach you how to shoot on a wide variety of circumstances and different scenerios, but which facility would be the best for real-world application? I was thinking Gunsite in Arizona, but I would like feedback from the community here.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not even close to the most well-trained on this forum, so I can't make recommendations from having been to many schools - but from the study I've done I think I can reasonably suggest that there probably isn't a "best" school.

Every instructor has his own approach, even when teaching the same techniques. Furthermore, there exist numerous techniques for whatever weapon you're interested in training with, and you'll gain some value by being exposed to any of them - whether you adopt that particular technique as your preferred tactic or not. It's like asking "which is the best martial art?" The truly skilled fighters have studied many forms, so that they're able to both apply and anticipate a wide variety of techniques.

Especially if your budget is large enough to train extensively, just pick a school that appeals to you for your first try. Make sure it's a place with competent instruction and good reviews from students, but then just go. The more you train with different instructors, the more you'll understand your own strengths and weaknesses. You'll then find it easier to set goals for future training and find instructors to help you meet them.

Good luck,
    faithmyeyes

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I personally have trained at TDI in northern Ohio and it is top quality. It is very serious given the topic but the instructors make jokes and all have fun while keeping the highest form of safety. I havent laughed as much in a while since i went there, it was so much fun.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I would like to go to Front sight and tactical responce

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bruce View Post
    I was considering taking some training...well, more like a lot of training in shooting in the next couple of years. There are many places around the US that teach you how to shoot on a wide variety of circumstances and different scenerios, but which facility would be the best for real-world application? I was thinking Gunsite in Arizona, but I would like feedback from the community here.
    I've taken several courses locally, but in the near future I am planning on one of the bigger, well-known training centers...Gunsite would be one of the 'tops' on that list. Sounds like you're fairly close to Gunsite...I'd go there.

Stay armed...get training...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics travels around the country giving different tactical training courses. He is very good and is probably known by many of the experienced members of this forum. I took his Tactical handgun 101 course, given over a three day period, and found it to be very valuable.

If you don't want to travel far from home, you might want to check his schedule, listed on his website, to see if he might be offering his courses near you.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    +1 on Randy Cain. If you ever have the chance, take his TH 101. And Also go to Gunsite, it is next door!

No one instructor has all the answers and all good gun instructors will tell you that. Avoid those who preach "My way is the only way."
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Study their criteria and choose one that fits your style. Some are heavy into classroom and theory, some are almost all shooting. One wants you to become "one of the family".
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Since you're in Az, you should definitely train with Gabe Suarez. I also highly recommend Tactical Response if you feel like travelling or can find (or host) a class near you.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    One wants you to become "one of the family".
    Do tell . . . do I have to learn a secret handshake and sell flowers in the airport?

Personally, I've penciled in Suarez for reasons of location, price and his iconoclastic nature--oh yeah, and `cuz he's a big fan of the AK platform.
    Don't forget to bow as the chariot passes.

Having seen most of the training site options in the US, I would recommend getting to Thunder Ranch in Oregon for the most consistent quality experience.

Links