Any CHL Instructors?

Any CHL Instructors?

This is a discussion on Any CHL Instructors? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After hearing about the massive increase in classes for concealed licenses I was wondering whether I might become an instructor. Has anybody done this and ...

Any CHL Instructors?

After hearing about the massive increase in classes for concealed licenses I was wondering whether I might become an instructor. Has anybody done this and is it worth it? Looks like $100 every 2 years to maintain license. I am in Texas but am not restricting the responses.

Administrator
    Its worth it if you have access to a range, classroom, are knowledgable and are very paitent. I think the market is over saturated with "instructors" who havent a clue beyond the basics. I'm not saying thats you, but from a business perspective, you're up against a bunch of bologna posing as a steak. Most people don't know the difference until they have already paid their money and sent down the road.

I rode the wave for a while and stopped because of these things. It got annoying, and its hard to compete when most people are served "bolonga" are are happy with that. I've found its much more fun to teach advanced stuff, and I make more money at it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well you will need a range. Most places will charge you to use their range which really cuts into your profits. Plus there is the insurance in case someone you are teaching gets shot. You can get them to sigh a waiver but they will still sue you and you will need an attorney. If you don't mind all of that than go for it. The state offers the class once a year, usually in June. You will be there for 4 days. 95% of it is in the classroom. You will have to qualify with both revolver and sem-auto and shoot a 95% of a 250 score. I have been doing this for almost 14 years. If you aren't in the business pretty much full time there is very little money to make. This panic will dry up shortly. PM me if you have questions and I will give you my cell number and help you any way I can.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Administrator
    I dont know about Texas, but a friend of mine does a class once a month. It takes two days to do it, and he made an extra 10g last year from the classes. Its not bad walking around money, he enjoys it. I found it to be to much of a PIA and not worth it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

For me its a full time job. Here in Florida there are quite a few fly-by-nites and some of the stuff they teach is unbelievable much less trying to compete against the Gun shows who can put thru 600 people in 2 a day classes over a weekend. The marketing, internet site, advertising, setting up a merchants account, the 1 mill in liability Insurance, then finding a range, classroom etc that isnt already taken by another instructor who happens to be a member of a certain club, works in the gun shop or is the RSO at the range etc..and they do play politics. They dont like new guys cutting in on their territory..Anyways, besides all that and once you get past it..it really is quite enjoyable and can be very rewarding when you see the lights come on in someones eyes. You can make a living at it but you arent going to get rich doing it. Having a love affair with firearms as a hobby and to enjoy teaching makes it something to look forward to everyday.

Thanks. I hadn't thought about liability. But I was thinking about joining an existing group of instructors to help out. I already have too many things on my plate between 2 kids in college, church and working on another degree while working a full time job.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Thanks. I hadn't thought about liability. But I was thinking about joining an existing group of instructors to help out. I already have too many things on my plate between 2 kids in college, church and working on another degree while working a full time job.
    If you can join another group, that would be the way to go allowing you to get your feet wet without much risk.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    After hearing about the massive increase in classes for concealed licenses I was wondering whether I might become an instructor. Has anybody done this and is it worth it?
    I have taught some type of firearm safety since the early 80's and have enjoyed knowing that I have most likely made a difference in some of my students. Very few of my students over these past years have failed a class. I have experienced many times of self satisfaction knowing that I have tried my best to educate persons with similar interests about gun safety and they have left my class with a lasting impression. Hopefully, they retain the information they learned.

If you are interested in teaching or helping teach a CCW class and feel you can contribute and help make a difference, I think you should do it. I'm sure you will find that you would enjoy helping people help themselves and represent the 2A with pride and integrity. Any time a person can get involved at any level of firearm education is a good thing. I think you'll have fun too. Go for it!

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Links