What would you have taken or done?

This is a discussion on What would you have taken or done? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be attending Gunsite in October, and was looking to get some feed back from folks that have attend multiple day training courses. Knowing ...

Thread: What would you have taken or done?

What would you have taken or done?

I will be attending Gunsite in October, and was looking to get some feed back from folks that have attend multiple day training courses.

Knowing what you know now, what would you have taken or done different?
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

2. Remove Ads

1952 - 2006
    While I didn't go to Gunsite.....yet, I did go to Thunder Ranch for 6 days. I took the 3 day defensive handgun and the 3 day team tactics with my best friend. (Best real world training I've seen since my old SF days). We each shot up 2000 rds of 45.

I don't think I'd be content with only a 2 or 3 day course. I think that a 4 or 5 day course should be the minimum time to really get it down well, and get the maximum in training and good old-fashioned fun.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

I took a 4 day defensive handgun class in November last year. These are things that helped me:

Are you taking ammo with you, or buying it onsite? You can only carry 11 lbs on an airline. If you are driving or are local, this is a non-issue.

I was unsure on the whether or not I could take cleaning solvent on the plane, so I bought some at a local Wal-Mart when I got there. A bore-snake is also a good idea.

Bring a camel-bak and a small cooler. Bring plenty of drinks and snacks each day.

Bring clothing for every conceivable environment. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Bring all the magazines you own for the weapon. You will spend less time reloading, and if you have a mag failure you will have back-ups.

Make sure you have a good gun belt that fits.

Bring a notebook and pencil to take notes.

Bring business cards if you have them, you will meet lots of new friends.

Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Links