Dry firing with red trainer bullets

This is a discussion on Dry firing with red trainer bullets within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently bought some red training rounds for my M&P 340PD, the type with the soft plastic spring loaded "primer". any experience with these causing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry firing with red trainer bullets

I recently bought some red training rounds for my M&P 340PD, the type with the soft plastic spring loaded "primer". any experience with these causing damage to the gun by doing extensive dry firing? I try to keep my trigger fingers as used to pulling the trigger as possible. Also helps for extended days at the range. appx 1,000 dry fires a week.

Thanks and Semper Fi

The snap caps are designed to prevent damage from dry firing weapons that specifically recommend you don't,most firearms today can be dry fired without causing any harm to them but the snap caps give the firing pin some resistance to stop.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I was under the (mistaken?) impression that dry firing was bad for any gun. Learn something new every day.

FWIW, I tell students that for the best use of this training time, you should also respond to each "click" with a Tap-Rack to build in the appropriate response to a failure to fire.....

-RJP

Mine is a revolver. But that is a great suggestion for the automatic.

Thanks! Semper Fi
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Administrator
    Dry firing wont hurt most modern guns, unless you do it excessively. Since you already have the snap caps, you might as well use them and dry fire all you want with out worry.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Think of the thousands of times you dry fired an M-16, during boot, grass week, ect... How many of em did you ever see break from it?

I use snap caps for dry firing practice a lot, but most modern firearms would be fine without em.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Like Rob Pincus, I like them as a training aid to devolop proper reactions for FTF's, misfires, etc. Dry firing shouldn't hurt your sidearm.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dry firing wont hurt most modern guns, unless you do it excessively. Since you already have the snap caps, you might as well use them and dry fire all you want with out worry.
    Will you explain what you mean by "excessively" ?

Thanks .......

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Think of the thousands of times you dry fired an M-16, during boot, grass week, ect... How many of em did you ever see break from it?

I use snap caps for dry firing practice a lot, but most modern firearms would be fine without em.
    Recruit Rifles did go down fairly often, those training weapons were in a sad state of repair, even though the M-16A2 is a well built gun and made of relatively large parts compared to a handgun. I have seen broken firing pins on recruit rifles in particular. The M2's that I worked with on a day to day basis also showed wear on the firing pins even though they were partially buffered by the firing pin extension. In either scenario I was not dry firing either gun 500-1000 times a week on an extended basis.

Semper Fi.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Any firearm that is so fragile that I am not able to dry fire it......

I would not carry it.

Snap caps no snap caps it makes no difference.

In today’s economy with the price and availability of ammo I will be dry firing my firearms quiet a bit.

I hope they don't brake

Tom

I dry fire everything. Its fine.

Just don't do it to your rimfires. Use a spare piece of brass in the chamber and rotate it every once and a while.

I agree with that dry firing doesn't hurt most modern handguns. I would recommend using snap caps or dummy rounds however while at the range mixed in with your live rounds to practice failure drills.

I agree with AVIVIII. I've always heard that dry firing is of for any modern centerfire firearm, but not so for rimfire. As a matter of fact, my Taurus 94 (.22) revolver specifically says not to dry fire.

In any event, snap caps certainly won't hurt. I keep some empty brass around of the correct caliber. It works just as well.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

You can dry-fire a Ruger 10/22 without hurting anything. In fact, Ruger tells you to dry-fire the Target model to get used to the trigger pull.

As for centerfires, I make up dummies in every caliber I use.
    I size,deprime and then seat a bullet. I use Silicone to fill the empty primer pocket and let it dry.

You get perfect snap-caps and dummies for practice use at the range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links