Which Martial Art?

Which Martial Art?

This is a discussion on Which Martial Art? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So a quick forum search didn't provide an answer. Which form or style of martial art lends itself best to gunfighting. I've seen Krav Maga ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Martial Art?

Which Martial Art?

So a quick forum search didn't provide an answer.

Which form or style of martial art lends itself best to gunfighting. I've seen Krav Maga has some pretty brutal disarming techniques, but I'm talking about a kind of fighting that treats the gun like Kendo treats the sword.

What do you guys and gals know, or think?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

I'm no expert, I'm just a lowly blue belt in Okinawan Kempo, but it was my understanding that the basis of most martial arts were formed before firearms were prevelant, which is one reason why Kendo is an art for the sword. In my humble opinion you're better off looking for an instructor who is firearm friendly and who can tailor an art to you.

For example I spent much of Saturday afternoon giving an impromptu lesson in basic firearms to the rest of my martial arts class. (When I was supposed to go to Iraq I had practiced disarms with me sensei, and I had recently mentioned that I wanted to include them into class. So he did.) Afterwards we practiced disarms.

Point is we were taking traditional tecniques and applying them to modern day situations. Like I said before, look for a sensei who will tailor a program for you, even if it means sending you into a different art.

P.S.- Being pistol whipped, even lightly with just a red gun really really hurts.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I guess that's what I'm asking. Which discipline best adapts itself to the use of guns? If a style has heavy emphasis on kicking, then that's probably not the one, but a style that focuses on straight punches might be adapted.

Didn't Steven Segal adapt Akido training to pistols. It seems I heard he was a pretty good shooter.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Segal is supposed to be a pretty good shoot not sure if he adapted Akido style or not to help him ..

Only Art i pratice is the Art of Big boom so im not much help on this topic ..

Assistant Administrator
    My martial art does not extend much beyond pictures of armor!!!

Seriously - I have probably only two moves that I learned way back and which would hopefully still come naturally - beyond that I'll hope my sit' awareness keeps me out of trouble.

I no longer train for this stuff - too much age impairment!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There was an article in Combat Handguns(?) a few years ago profiling Seagal-Sensei and his firearms training, techniques etc. IIRC, his shooting stance is basically the Ai-hanmi stance of Aikido/Ken-jutsu. Massad Ayoob has incorporated some martial arts techniques into his Stressfire system as well. His book "Stressfire" goes into detail about the specific techniques he uses and the arts he adapted them from. The article went into depth about his preference for 1911 pistols made by Terry Tussey using Caspian parts.

(edit) After typing all this, I found the article HERE on Terry's website!
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Good find on that Article

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Don't forget that training in the use of firearms is a Martial Art itself.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

On The Floor

One stat I heard a number of years ago was that 90% of all fights (skin on skin) end up on the ground. Now, like most politicians facts that 90% is more than off by a few points I'm sure. The fact remains that if you are confronted in a close quarters assult the range is usually within 3 feet. Most punks won't announce they are going to attack you, but would much rather sucker punch you.
    So it is that reason that I believe that grappling/judo to be an effective way to train. If you ever watch the UFC it is all about power and submission holds. Also a true understanding of where your opponent's hands are at all times.

Put yourself in a senario in which you are at a (insert location here) and someone jumps you from the back and has you on your stomach on the floor. What do you do? Can you access your weapon? Can HE access your weapon? Knowing how to manipulate someone's apendeges effectivly comes in handy. Picture of what I'm talking about enclosed.

UFC44Event029.jpg

For what it's worth,
    Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

ChefRski

That's MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). A mixture of striking skills and grappling/submission. An example would be mixing the punching, kicking, kneeing and elbow strikes of Muay Thai and the grappling and submission holds of BJJ (Brazilian Ju Jitsu). It's practical, adaptable and teaches standing and ground fighting skills. Find a place that teaches a both. Start with one, cross train in another and start blending them together. Just my .02
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

I studied ryu jujitsu as a teen, now I'm old, fat, and slow. My 10 year old daugher is an orange belt in taekwondo. I'd agree with ChefRski, jujitsu, judo, something for close-in work would benifit gunfighting more than the giant spinning tornado kicks my daugher does :)

If you're far enough away to launch a flying kick, you'd be better off shooting them. If they're close enough to grab you, some grappling technique might give you the space to employ the weapon.

Weapon retention techniques might be applied to firearms, as well.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

This is an interesting 'on topic' article that some may find interesting. It dovetails nicely into the debate of which MA and CCW carry.

http://www.swatdigest.com/keepitsimple.html
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Krav Maga was designed with the intergration of firearms in mind, and from what I've seen is a very effective defensive art.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I think some may have misunderstood my question, and that's understandable. What I was asking, was if anyone knew of a form of martial art that actually incorporates shooting. Not disarming, but aiming and shooting the gun.

Refering to my first post, Kendo is the martial art of sword fighting. It teaches how to strike and defend with a sword.

That's kind of what I'm looking for, except with a pistol.

I bet Tai Chi might be useful, from what little I know of it. Are there any Tai Chi pratitioners on here?
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    I think some may have misunderstood my question, and that's understandable. What I was asking, was if anyone knew of a form of martial art that actually incorporates shooting. Not disarming, but aiming and shooting the gun.

Refering to my first post, Kendo is the martial art of sword fighting. It teaches how to strike and defend with a sword.

That's kind of what I'm looking for, except with a pistol.

I bet Tai Chi might be useful, from what little I know of it. Are there any Tai Chi pratitioners on here?
    I understood your question but didn't post cause my response would have been NOPE!

I take Tenshen Aikido and in my dojo we also have Tai Chi and I have taken it several times but not like Aikido. Tai Chi would I think be as close to what you are talking about but not specific for sure and it is not meant to be either.

http://www.threeriversaikido.com/newsite/taichi.php Tai Chi
    http://www.threeriversaikido.com/newsite/index.php Aikido
    http://www.defensivetechnologies.com/ Defensive Tactic Technologies

I have taken all of these and while not specific to what you are talking about they have been instrumental in my ability to even do everyday things much better, much more controlled, much quieter, much clearer and just plain better in just about all area's of life I have noticed this.

I have also taken Kendo a few times but I couldn't get into it and going up against the guys in my dojo that take it and teach it is not very fun when you are the guy getting beat on all class at about a 10 to 1 ratio in hits landed.

Not sure how and if this helped you but I think anything that you take that relies on body control and movements will help you in what you are looking for. I know for a fact that it has helped me in just about every part of my life.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links