Failure to fire. What to do?

This is a discussion on Failure to fire. What to do? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range last Sunday, and for the first time my Glock FTF. My first instinct was to tap, and rack. Just what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failure to fire. What to do?

I was at the range last Sunday, and for the first time my Glock FTF. My first instinct was to tap, and rack. Just what you would do in a real world gun fight. But as I learned in my basic pistol courses you keep the weapon pointed down range, and wait. My mind was flashing on the worst case scenario. After a tap, and rack the round exploding out side of the chamber, not good for me or the guy next to me. So I waited, and no bang. As a side note, I examined the round the primer had a light strike on it. I put it in the next mag, and it did go bang.

You fight as you train, and a FTF in the middle of a gun fight could cause you to loose, depending on lots of factors. One of them could be, your fallowing the wait rule or tap, and rack.

If you are well trained I suppose you would find cover, and by that time a tap, and rack would be safe.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

You Raise a Good question Training as you would Fight is almost impossible at a public range..

I try as best as i can i just tap rack and bang never had a round go off outside the chamber.

Usually dont have Hangfires at least ive never truely had one, ive had the pop and Fizzzz of a misfire but no hangfire.

By the time i think you could grab the slide more than likely the round would have went off is my Guess.

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Unhappy First...Second

Always carry a backup gun a good 1911s a good choice. ...Second that Glock they don't like oil in the firing pin channel.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Waiting is for range safety. If you're ducking incoming smallarms fire, tap & rack without the wait is worth the risk.

You have to keep track of which behaviors you pick up are every-day safety and need to be dropped in combat, and which you need to follow even under stress.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Out of the approx 2K+ rounds this is the only malfunction that was not user induced.
    Aaron

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Detail strip the slide and clean it. The firing pin channel is probably all gunked up.

Assistant Administrator
    We had almost this question just recently.

IMO you do NOT concern yourself at all about a delayed ignition of a round - unlikely with centerfire in all but the most ancient ammo (viz .303 mil surp from WWII - it will give hang fires nicely!). By the time the round is manually ejected in a fraction of a second - it will be away from you and not harm anyone - it ain't worth worrying about - except on pure range shooting.

It's a sound habit but don't let it become part of combat drills.

.22 - or any rimfires are more likely to need some safety time but then that won't affect many folks in CQB situations!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Tap-rack -bang is very effective, just be sure to know what a squib load feels like.

That's one reason that the only time I shoot on an actual static shooting range is when I'm wearing my Instructor's cap or testing a new gun or fresh ammo. In IDPA you can and should tap rack bang as long as muzzle is in a safe direction.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Well, no one else mentioned this, and I'm kind of surprised. It's a Glock, most likely a light strike. PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN.

If it doesn't work the second time, then I'd eject the round.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Lightbulb Can't re-pull trigger on a Glock.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    Well, no one else mentioned this, and I'm kind of surprised. It's a Glock, most likely a light strike. PULL THE TRIGGER AGAIN.

If it's a glock then it's not a simple DA or DAO, and you'd have to (what?) rack the slide to reset the trigger and the round would be ejected anyway.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

No second Strike cabilty on a glock .. pull trigger if slide doesnt Cock trigger doesnt reset.

When you take a glock down for cleaning youll see this pull trigger it stays back till you cycle slide

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I was going to say something like "I carry a revolver, so I'd just pull the trigger again" but I though I'd come across as a wise@ss and revolver eliteist.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    I was going to say something like "I carry a revolver, so I'd just pull the trigger again" but I though I'd come across as a wise@ss and revolver eliteist.

Basiclly a revolver would be only way around this problem unless bullet creeped out enough to tie up the gun which auto or wheelie your screwed either way

Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    You have to keep track of which behaviors you pick up are every-day safety and need to be dropped in combat, and which you need to follow even under stress.
    This was what I was thinking about. Thus my fight as you train.

When at the range I try to use all the things I learned as it relates to a combat situation. With in the limit of the range rules.

To bad I don't have some land to practice as I see fit. May be when I retire?
    Aaron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links