Lines in the sand

Lines in the sand

This is a discussion on Lines in the sand within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was having a conversation with someone in reference to the difference between drawing down on someone and pulling the trigger. Years before I ever ...

Thread: Lines in the sand

Lines in the sand

I was having a conversation with someone in reference to the difference between drawing down on someone and pulling the trigger. Years before I ever had to pull the trigger a friend of mine who has been in several shootings told me that if I had time to think about shooting I did not need to. I found that to be true and so has anyone I shared it with who has been in a shooting.

The more and more I talk to people who have pulled the trigger the more and more I believe that we all have our own snap shots in our mind, or lines in the sand. The more you have trained physically or mentally the more you have. Almost like someone telling you that when you see a specific picture you should respond by pressing a button. Trained people have more buttons and push them faster.

For example, anyone who carries a gun will recognize a gun pointed at them as a threat and likely pull the trigger. But not everyone would pull the trigger on someone within seven yards armed with a baseball bat.

To the person every person I have ever spoken with that has pulled the trigger has a picture in their minds eye the exact second that the action of the person they shot resulted in them shooting. It should also be noted that it comes down to perception and the physical evidence may not correspond. This does not mean that they are lying, only that perception is reality.

I have also found that for many people including myself when they think of a critical situation they were involved it it is seldom runs like a video and instead the aforementioned slide show with some slides really standing out against others.

I hope this makes sense and I encourage folks to discuss this whether or not they have been involved in a shooting or not.

The more you train with different people in different conditions you will be surprised at how your perception changes and when you will shoot or choose not to.

Found this on USCCA it's been helpful, don't think anyone really knows until the SHTF.

Tactical advantages:

KEEP YOUR FIREARM CONCEALED

PROXIMITY NEGATES SKILL, GET AWAY

YOU CAN'T OUT-DRAW A DRAWN GUN

LOCKED DOORS ARE UNINVITING

LISTEN TO YOURSELF

UNDERSTAND COMBAT STRESS

CLEAR YOUR SPACE

YOU WILL FIGHT LIKE YOU PRACTICE
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

This seems to mirror the training mindset from my time in the Marine Corps - if you haven't thought about how to handle something, when the time comes to do so, you're are WAAY behind the curve already. The time for reasoning and thoughtful evaluation are BEFORE an event. Once something happens, you will need to react, and you cannot react if you are still thinking about what to do.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    We have a saying in Kenpo (martial arts I study...): most people lose fights because they do not decide to win until they are in the middle of the fight. You MUST decide within yourself that you are willing and able to win the conflict before it ever occurs. We call that "spiritual fitness" in the art I study, but you can call it whatever you prefer.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Links