.22 or Airsoft for Training?

This is a discussion on .22 or Airsoft for Training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So far, my EDC is a Glock 27. I am using a .22 LR conversion kit with it to cut down some of the cost ...

Thread: .22 or Airsoft for Training?

.22 or Airsoft for Training?

So far, my EDC is a Glock 27. I am using a .22 LR conversion kit with it to cut down some of the cost of ammunition, and I am very happy with it. Recently I acquired a Sig 229 and I am planning on making it my EDC. I do see that SIG sells a .22 conversion kit as well as an Airsoft model of the same gun. I am somewhat intrigued by the airsoft option. Has anybody tried it? How well does it simulate "the real thing" when it comes to feel and most importantly weight? The nice part would be that I could use it at home and wouldn't have to go to the range.

I am not looking for super accuracy, mostly to train quick drawing / quick follow on shots and such. The Sig airsoft is a bit pricey ($260), but according to the spec sheet, the weight is at least close. The .22 conversion kit is $370 but seem sto be out of stock for a while now.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    when did they come out with the .22 conversion kit for the 229? I want one!

I've toyed around with airsoft. Recently I've been practicing point shooting with it. A quality airsoft will weigh about the same, but the walmart ones are nowhere close. Mines a walmart gun. It's nice to be able to practice at home though.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Sponsor
    I'd go airsoft, you can practice at home, and practice draw and fire with a pretty safe "live' gun

Also, if you can get one or two buddies involved, you can practice force on force.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

Is airsoft person-to-person safe if good eye protection is used? (safe: less "hurt" then a BB gun?)

Here are direct links to the two products:

airsoft:
    Pro Shop
    (only 226 and 229)

.22 conversion kits:
    Pro Shop
    (226, 229 and 220)
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Training

Airsoft or .22 training is fine for practicing the draw and first shot, but for practicing follow up shots, it's not realistic. The recovery from recoil is too different. Airsoft is great for force on force or just training around your house, figuring out the corners or other problem areas, etc.

Per OP:

Airsoft for person to person has advantages to say paint ball.

.22 LR for confidence and shooting technique, live draw and fire, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    ...but for practicing follow up shots, it's not realistic. The recovery from recoil is too different...
    I own an Advantage Arms Glock .22 LR conversion. Agree recoil is very different. However, I had difficulty advancing other components because of recoil. The reduced recoil allows you to focus on those other skills (not related to recoil recovery).

For example double tap. When I put the conversion on, I figured out what I was doing wrong and was able to practice the correct method. Then when I started back up with the .357 Sig, I was able to take what I learned.

My .$02
    Last edited by Thanis; January 4th, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: spelling

Recoil

I stand corrected with regards to practicing the fundamentals. Let me restate:

Don't think you will be able to fire your double taps as fast with your regular CCW as you do with your .22.

I have a pretty big collection of .22 "training guns". I have a couple of Colt Aces, J frame, and K frame S&Ws. I also made a Beretta 21 in .22 into a Tomcat clone with fat grips, an acrylic front sight, and a trigger shoe. The wife uses that for practice for her Tomcat and the feel is very close, and the sight is close to the factory night sight, even if it won't glow. Even the P22 Walthers are good for practicing the DA 1st shot to SA 2nd shot drills.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    For example double tap. When I put the conversion on, I figured out what I was doing wrong and was able to practice the correct method. Then when I started back up with the .357 Sig, I was able to take what I learned.
    That's kind of what I am looking for. I understand that it will feel different. But I hope that the additional practice will help to refine some techniques.

Go Airsoft

I would suggest getting a quality airsoft replica of what you carry and practice with it daily. Too many people don't practice the "mechanics" of firearm self defense enough. Dry firing with snap caps is good to practice but it won't give you the target feed back and a sense of recoil that a good gas blow back airsoft gun will. I developed a training aid that allows me to shoot human form targets and capture my bb's. I practice all the time and against multiple assailants. Airsoft will allow you more flexibility as to where you train more than a .22 would.

Mike
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

UMAREX air pistols are the way to go, they are 1:1 scale and made under license, no cheap plastic guns here, these are pretty much the real deal.

I believe some are blow back design, so you get some slide action and wee bit of recoil for realism.

Co2 cartidges are cheap and pellets cost very little.

You can shoot indoors provided you have some old telephone books for a back stop and you are shooting in a safe direction.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

IMHO and airsoft and a Blue Gun are required training gear for the person who is serious about the defensive use of a pistol.

I use a C02 BB pistol to piont shoot no sights 15-20 ft. It helps

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    IMHO and airsoft and a Blue Gun are required training gear for the person who is serious about the defensive use of a pistol.
    Yep. There are plenty of airsoft replicas for the G26/27. Most are useless beyond point shooting distance, but all work for presentation practice. And a decent airsoft might obviate the need for the Blue Gun.

-Paul
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

I am not looking for super accuracy, mostly to train quick drawing / quick follow on shots and such.
    On the latter topic, "follow on shots", you aren't going to get good training with a sub-caliber or airsoft. The main problem with strings of fire is the management of recoil which is minimal-to-non-existent with both options.

There is a lot of good training that can be done with .22s and airsoft, but training the Volume of Fire concepts and follow-up shots are not included.

-RJP

Links