Behind the walls

This is a discussion on Behind the walls within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Last night I did my edged weapons inoculation 4hr course at the Maryland Department of Corrections for members of their Special Operations Group and Intelligence ...

Thread: Behind the walls

Behind the walls

Last night I did my edged weapons inoculation 4hr course at the Maryland Department of Corrections for members of their Special Operations Group and Intelligence Unit. The class was held at the old MD State Penitentiary in Baltimore. We did lecture and some hands on. They seemed to like the training and said it was applicable to what they do and their experiences as to how edged weapon assaults occur. The old state penn the oldest continually operating prison in US, opening it's doors before 1900. The place is a dungeon. I am a prison buff, especially old prisons.

After the class I emptied my pockets and was given a tour of the prison, they took me right in with general population. There I was surrounded by hundreds of convicted felons. For the COs this is old hat. For me it was a whole new feeling, the intensity of which I cannot fully explain. This particular prison is considered one of the worst in the state and knowing that if anything kicks off it is just you and a few COs is an eye opener. I wish I could package the feeling I had when I was in there and pass it onto students. They knew I was LEO and were saying so, they just figured I was a new SOG member since they ofter wear plain clothes. I have been involved in several critical incidents but the feeling I had was like nothing I every felt before. You have to pay attention to everything but not focus on anything.

They took me to the locations of several assaults and murders of inmates and COs that have occurred over the years and gave me the particulars of the incidents.

If there are any COs here thanks for the job you do.

Here are some pictures-

Members of MD DOC Special Operations Group and Intelligence Unit

Some shanks and a homemade flail made out of a rolled up magazine, tape, clothesline and a combination lock

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Interesting collection. I know it was a creepy , closed in feeling when I toured the Flint , MI county lock up. Probably not nearly as big as what you toured, but it was a multi tiered set of cell blocks.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Interesting

Sounds like a very interesting experience. I like to watch Lock-up on MSNBC on Saturday nights. I think the show allows people to see the results of bad decisions. Thanks of sharing.
    "In a moment of crisis you will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training". http://www.FreedomTrainerTarget.com

Lockup is one of my favorite shows. I have visited some some pretty infamous prisons. Eastern States in Philly, Moundsville in WV, and now the MD Penn. I have visited others but those three in particular have a reputation and are castle like.

Links