Concealed Handgun License Online - Texas

This is a discussion on Concealed Handgun License Online - Texas within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello Friends, I'm curious, is there CHL Course that can take online to get permit ? Have a good day....

Thread: Concealed Handgun License Online - Texas

Concealed Handgun License Online - Texas

Hello Friends,

I'm curious, is there CHL Course that can take online to get permit ?

Have a good day.

2. Remove Ads

Not that I know of.

I have not seen one, I have a feeling the state wants butts in chairs for this one. But if you think about it and the percentage of bad drivers that cause more damage than guns, and yet you can take defensive driving online...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I'm not from Texas, but don't your requirements include a live fire test? If so, hard to do online.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    No. There should be one, but that isn't the way it is.

Also, you have to do a range test and fire a prescribed course of 50 rounds. Can't do that on line.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I had occasion to check on this issue recently for a client. The law in Virginia requires that the course either cover handgun safety or handgun proficiency, but not both. Being familiar with handguns already, I signed up for the "Hunter Education Course", a twenty hour freebee from the Va. Dept. Game and Inland Fisheries, which covers safety really well, but has no hands-on instruction component.

So some genius has come up with an online course that appears to be acceptable in Virginia, and they advertise it at about forty bucks. They say it takes about an hour.

I, myself, think that's scary. And being somewhat cynical about legislative processes, can't help wondering whether some legislator snuck that in as a "time bomb" intending that the whole program be racked with scandal when some idiot with a handgun permit shoots the neighbor's baby because he doesn't know how to work the gun properly.

(My current best recommendation in Northern Va. is a small-class program taught by NRA certified instructors at Hatfield's Gunsmiffin' in Manassas.)
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No. There should be one, but that isn't the way it is.

Also, you have to do a range test and fire a prescribed course of 50 rounds. Can't do that on line.
    True, but you could always set up a time to go to a specified range and have that portion of the test done, then send in your Web test scores with your live fire test score.

But it does make it easier to just get it out of the way in a single 10 hour period.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

I believe the live fire has to be done by a Tx licensed instructor,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe the live fire has to be done by a Tx licensed instructor,
    This is correct. Most of the information you need on the Texas CHL can be found here:

Texas Department of Public Safety - Regulatory Licensing Service Concealed Handgun Licensing

There is no online test, but you can complete an online application. Everything else (course, shooting proficiency, fingerprints, etc.) needs to be done in person. Don't worry about the proficiency test too much; if you can't pass it, you shouldn't be carrying a gun anyway, since you can't hit anything.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

The CCW test in Texas has to be hosted by a licensed, state approved instructor

Links