So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

This is a discussion on So I found a local range, does this sound okay? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so I finally found a range to shoot at here locally It is at a Wildlife Management Area (only $3 if you don't have ...

Thread: So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

Question So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

Alright, so I finally found a range to shoot at here locally It is at a Wildlife Management Area (only $3 if you don't have a permit). It is actually pretty nice with several stations and a nice overhang. Anyway, my main concern is that it has string to hang targets at 25 yards and 100 yards. I don't really want to consistently practice at 25 yards, plus the string is a little low for handgun standing up

I was wondering if you guys think they would have a problem with me making my own PVC target stand and measuring out my own distances There is no one there to ask, and it doesn't say anything about it. There is a big mound for a backdrop, and even if I made my stand a little higher and closer, the backdrop is still plenty high. What is you guys' take on this?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

as long as there are no regulations against it I say go for it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If it's one of the ranges listed here, give them a call and ask to be sure but I couldn't imagine it being a problem as long as your bullets end up at a safe height on the berm.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If it's one of the ranges listed here, give them a call and ask to be sure but I couldn't imagine it being a problem as long as your bullets end up at a safe height on the berm.

Hoss
    Hoss, you are extremely helpful yet again. Found their number their and gave em a call. They had never been asked that but said they don't see a problem with it as long as I'm still shooting at the berm. Gonna make me a little PVC stand tomorrow. Probably just make two L shaped posts with crossbars in between for support. And then get some small sand bags to keep it from tipping over!!!! I can't wait. I thought I was always gonna have to drive 50 miles and pay $15-$20 range fee anytime I wanted to shoot.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

You'll have to check with the folks that manage the range. The Missouri Conservation Department runs the nearest public range to me... paper targets only, and they must be hung from the existing target backers.

Yeah, lots of folks ignore the rules, and shoot whatever they want. Since there isn't anyone actively monitoring, they normally get away with it. Unfortunately, there's a few folks who will bring out old appliances and such, shoot 'em to bits, and leave the trash. I'm positive idiots like these are the reason for the rule A few idiots ruin it for everyone.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    You'll have to check with the folks that manage the range. The Missouri Conservation Department runs the nearest public range to me... paper targets only, and they must be hung from the existing target backers.

Yeah, lots of folks ignore the rules, and shoot whatever they want. Since there isn't anyone actively monitoring, they normally get away with it. Unfortunately, there's a few folks who will bring out old appliances and such, shoot 'em to bits, and leave the trash. I'm positive idiots like these are the reason for the rule A few idiots ruin it for everyone.
    yeah, people like that suck. Nah, I'm just making a PVC target and wrapping it in duct tape in case I nick it (prevents it from shattering).
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Hoss, you are extremely helpful yet again. Found their number their and gave em a call. They had never been asked that but said they don't see a problem with it as long as I'm still shooting at the berm. Gonna make me a little PVC stand tomorrow. Probably just make two L shaped posts with crossbars in between for support. And then get some small sand bags to keep it from tipping over!!!! I can't wait. I thought I was always gonna have to drive 50 miles and pay $15-$20 range fee anytime I wanted to shoot.
    Glad I could help. Here's a couple of target stand ideas for you.

Stand

Stand (photo1) (photo2)

Stand

Stand

I like the idea of using the furring strips for the uprights shown in the last one. If you hit them, the bullet just passes through. If your uprights are PVC and you hit them, bye bye upright.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Glad I could help. Here's a couple of target stand ideas for you.

Stand

Stand (photo1) (photo2)

Stand

Stand

I like the idea of using the furring strips for the uprights shown in the last one. If you hit them, the bullet just passes through. If your uprights are PVC and you hit them, bye bye upright.

That should keep you busy for a while.

Hoss
    ahhh...I was looking at that first one earlier. but I think I like the simple design of the one with wooden up-rights better. It's smaller and like you said, bullets don't make go bye bye.
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Links