So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

This is a discussion on So I found a local range, does this sound okay? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, so I finally found a range to shoot at here locally It is at a Wildlife Management Area (only $3 if you don't have ...

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669

    Question So I found a local range, does this sound okay?

    Alright, so I finally found a range to shoot at here locally It is at a Wildlife Management Area (only $3 if you don't have a permit). It is actually pretty nice with several stations and a nice overhang. Anyway, my main concern is that it has string to hang targets at 25 yards and 100 yards. I don't really want to consistently practice at 25 yards, plus the string is a little low for handgun standing up

    I was wondering if you guys think they would have a problem with me making my own PVC target stand and measuring out my own distances There is no one there to ask, and it doesn't say anything about it. There is a big mound for a backdrop, and even if I made my stand a little higher and closer, the backdrop is still plenty high. What is you guys' take on this?
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,179
    as long as there are no regulations against it I say go for it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array cvhoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,046
    If it's one of the ranges listed here, give them a call and ask to be sure but I couldn't imagine it being a problem as long as your bullets end up at a safe height on the berm.

    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

    NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

  4. #4
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    If it's one of the ranges listed here, give them a call and ask to be sure but I couldn't imagine it being a problem as long as your bullets end up at a safe height on the berm.

    Hoss
    Hoss, you are extremely helpful yet again. Found their number their and gave em a call. They had never been asked that but said they don't see a problem with it as long as I'm still shooting at the berm. Gonna make me a little PVC stand tomorrow. Probably just make two L shaped posts with crossbars in between for support. And then get some small sand bags to keep it from tipping over!!!! I can't wait. I thought I was always gonna have to drive 50 miles and pay $15-$20 range fee anytime I wanted to shoot.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

  5. #5
    Senior Member Array cmidkiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    835
    You'll have to check with the folks that manage the range. The Missouri Conservation Department runs the nearest public range to me... paper targets only, and they must be hung from the existing target backers.

    Yeah, lots of folks ignore the rules, and shoot whatever they want. Since there isn't anyone actively monitoring, they normally get away with it. Unfortunately, there's a few folks who will bring out old appliances and such, shoot 'em to bits, and leave the trash. I'm positive idiots like these are the reason for the rule A few idiots ruin it for everyone.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    You'll have to check with the folks that manage the range. The Missouri Conservation Department runs the nearest public range to me... paper targets only, and they must be hung from the existing target backers.

    Yeah, lots of folks ignore the rules, and shoot whatever they want. Since there isn't anyone actively monitoring, they normally get away with it. Unfortunately, there's a few folks who will bring out old appliances and such, shoot 'em to bits, and leave the trash. I'm positive idiots like these are the reason for the rule A few idiots ruin it for everyone.
    yeah, people like that suck. Nah, I'm just making a PVC target and wrapping it in duct tape in case I nick it (prevents it from shattering).
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

  7. #7
    VIP Member Array cvhoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,046
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaSteve View Post
    Hoss, you are extremely helpful yet again. Found their number their and gave em a call. They had never been asked that but said they don't see a problem with it as long as I'm still shooting at the berm. Gonna make me a little PVC stand tomorrow. Probably just make two L shaped posts with crossbars in between for support. And then get some small sand bags to keep it from tipping over!!!! I can't wait. I thought I was always gonna have to drive 50 miles and pay $15-$20 range fee anytime I wanted to shoot.
    Glad I could help. Here's a couple of target stand ideas for you.

    Stand

    Stand (photo1) (photo2)

    Stand

    Stand

    I like the idea of using the furring strips for the uprights shown in the last one. If you hit them, the bullet just passes through. If your uprights are PVC and you hit them, bye bye upright.

    That should keep you busy for a while.

    Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

    NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

  8. #8
    Senior Member Array BamaSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    669
    Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Glad I could help. Here's a couple of target stand ideas for you.

    Stand

    Stand (photo1) (photo2)

    Stand

    Stand

    I like the idea of using the furring strips for the uprights shown in the last one. If you hit them, the bullet just passes through. If your uprights are PVC and you hit them, bye bye upright.

    That should keep you busy for a while.

    Hoss
    ahhh...I was looking at that first one earlier. but I think I like the simple design of the one with wooden up-rights better. It's smaller and like you said, bullets don't make go bye bye.
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Back from the Range with my local PD
    By old grunt in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: August 19th, 2009, 05:26 AM
  2. Shop/Range to Shoot PPS in Puget Sound Area?
    By alienbogey in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: December 30th, 2008, 01:23 PM
  3. Ricochets at local range
    By asphaltbouncer in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM
  4. Grenade found at Local Sporting Goods Store
    By Cakewalk in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 29th, 2008, 01:49 AM
  5. My local range must do this...
    By Cthulhu in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 17th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Search tags for this page

how to make shooting target stand
,
kansas department of wildlife rule on making your own gun range
,
pvc shooting target stand
,
shooting target stands
,

target holder designs

,

target stand

,
target stands
Click on a term to search for related topics.