Private instruction questions - and, do you tip?

This is a discussion on Private instruction questions - and, do you tip? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just signed up for private lessons at a large range. It is the range I took my carry class at. Probably do 1 hour ...

Thread: Private instruction questions - and, do you tip?

Private instruction questions - and, do you tip?

I just signed up for private lessons at a large range. It is the range I took my carry class at. Probably do 1 hour lesson every 3 or 4 weeks.

I am partially disabled and during my CCW class they said they could help me with different stance, ways to hold, grip etc, to compensate for my lack of strength etc. They actually helped me a lot during the CCW class. I've been waiting for my custom holster to come in before I could start my lessons. The holster should be here next week, so I have my first lessson set for 3 weeks from now.

background - I used to do a lot of backyard target shooting with various revolvers, 22 rifle, 12g. shotgun.. but after my nerve injury in 2001, I didn't shoot again until recently. And, I have not done much defensive stuff at all. Have done a lot of reading. Been doing a bit of dry fire lately. The vibration from actual firing 38's and higher is quite painful though, so I will never be one to go and shoot 100 rounds at time. I do have a small range at my house (live in the country) and will be able to shoot a small amount often, instead of a lot - less frequently.

I know I need to learn how to draw, best place for me to use my new holster, to try to use speed strip or speed loader (probably won't be able to do either, but will try), and work on grip and stance.

Is there anything I should be sure to ask for training on? The instructor said I should bring a list of things I would like to learn.

The other major question I have is, in addition to the fee they charge for the class, do you "tip" the instructor? Any instructors that can tell me if this is customary?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PrimalScream; February 1st, 2009 at 02:46 AM. Reason: DUH! forgot one of my questions!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalScream View Post
    I just signed up for private lessons at a large range. It is the range I took my carry class at. Probably do 1 hour lesson every 3 or 4 weeks.

I am partially disabled and during my CCW class they said they could help me with different stance, ways to hold, grip etc, to compensate for my lack of strength etc. They actually helped me a lot during the CCW class. I've been waiting for my custom holster to come in before I could start my lessons. The holster should be here next week, so I have my first lessson set for 3 weeks from now.

background - I used to do a lot of backyard target shooting with various revolvers, 22 rifle, 12g. shotgun.. but after my nerve injury in 2001, I didn't shoot again until recently. And, I have not done much defensive stuff at all. Have done a lot of reading. Been doing a bit of dry fire lately. The vibration from actual firing 38's and higher is quite painful though, so I will never be one to go and shoot 100 rounds at time. I do have a small range at my house (live in the country) and will be able to shoot a small amount often, instead of a lot - less frequently.

I know I need to learn how to draw, best place for me to use my new holster, to try to use speed strip or speed loader (probably won't be able to do either, but will try), and work on grip and stance.

The other major question I have is, in addition to the fee they charge for the class, do you "tip" the instructor? Any instructors that can tell me if this is customary?

Thanks!

No need to tip! If he is good at what he does and he helps you a lot....just show your appreciation with a heart felt "thank you" and a hand shake.

Many of us teach in order to help people. The money is nice, but it is often about doing something that can help people.

After several lessons from an instructor, advice for free, great training and the works, I bought him a very large nice bottle of his favorite Kentucky Medicinal. Rebel Yell.

Thanks for the answer about tipping! I figured it was a "service" and so might be customary to give 25% tip?

Duh! I forgot to ask --- edited my post --- is there anything I should ask about in particular to learn? She said she can train anything from very basic pistol to competition level to running and shooting. She was so cool when I went in to this store to get CT grips on my regular gun, that I was encouraged to take the CCW class even with my disabilites. I had no idea that they could work around it and help me get qualified. It ended up being not that much of a big deal.

I think one of the best tips would be to recommed the instructor to any freinds or family. You could also post the instructors name here in case anybody in you area is think about getting a ccw.

Never took private firearms instruction but tipping should be based on the level of service. I've hired three fishing guides in my life. One, we paid for 6 hours and that's exactly what we got plus didn't get a bite. No tip for him. Another was for exact time allotted but we caught a lot of fish. He got a nice tip. Third one we hired for 6 hours. We ended up staying out for almost 12. He got us into a lot of fish and showed us several "secret" spots on a lake that I fish all the time. He got a really good tip. If they give exactly what you pay for, well that's what the fee was for. If they go beyond what you expected, at least offer something extra. They may not accept it but I would offer.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Sponsor
    I've never heard of an instructor getting tipped in a professional training venue.

I wouldn't take a tip if offered. I've already been paid for the training. If the student felt he'd offer a tip, he thinks he got what he paid for and more and that's exactly what I want the students to feel when they leave my classes.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Probably a gift would be more appropriate than a tip. A nice bottle of wine or homemade cookies perhaps.

never seen this question. will be reading with interest on subsequent posts.

jfl
    Having had problems with my strong hand (arthritis) I understand !!!

I use an airsoft gun that is the perfect image of my Glock-26; it is perfect for training the draw and the first shot and trigger reset; follow-up shots are too easy for the very reduced recoil.

Tips: it depend ...
    But if you are really satisfied, consider at least a nice gift.
    Showing your appreciation, even only with words, go a long way...
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Links