Tactical Pistol Marksmanship - Gabe Suarez

This is a discussion on Tactical Pistol Marksmanship - Gabe Suarez within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just recentlybought and read Tactical Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez. It was a good read. I have read alot on this forum about the ...

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar

I just recentlybought and read Tactical Pistol Marksmanship by Gabe Suarez. It was a good read. I have read alot on this forum about the importance of dry fire practice. In the book, there is a extensive dry fire practice routine. My question is, has anyone used this routine? Is this a good routine for a novice shooter?

Also, how often do you all practice dry firing??

Thanks for your help.

Curry

I have been looking at that book for a while now. I have "The Tactical Advantage" by Mr. Suarez. If you are looking at learning or improving your tactical moves, this is a good book. Very well written.

I try to do dry fire practice one or more times a week. Along with draw, and house clearing.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...e=3&order=desc

Couple other of gabes books reviewed here..

I do some dry fire practice but not a whole lot and never really followed a routine on it

Assistant Administrator
    Have not read that book but do recommend dry fire drills - in particular re the draw and presentation - trying to increase fluidity etc. Particularly for aquisition of a good and consistent grip each time.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i want nothing to do with Suarez and wont support him by buying his books . If they do you some good well more power to you . I belive each of us must choose whom we listen to , and for me suarez isnt one of them .

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs
    Personaly i want nothing to do with Suarez and wont support him by buying his books . If they do you some good well more power to you . I belive each of us must choose whom we listen to , and for me suarez isnt one of them .
    Well don't leave us hangin'..... why??
    Have you attended one of his classes?
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    No I wont turn this into a suarez bashing thread , I voiced my opinion that the man has no credibality with me , and that is enough . Any justification for MY opinions that i would put foreward is allready freely avalable online and i will leave it at that.

VIP Member
    BCurry, this was posted by one of my instructors (although he keeps saying he is not one, just somebody who spent lots of money on classes ) This is the regime I follow and I hope it helps you.

Dry firing is the perfect practice because you will know if you do anything wrong as the sights will move. Life fire may just ingrain bad habits unless every shot you fire is perfect.

I really don't think anyone can really concentrate on dry firing for more than 10 minutes. I mean that you concentrate on the front sight, feel the trigger, take up the slack, press straight back feeling the pressure on your finger until the hammer falls, still concentrate on the front sight, come to low ready and reset the slide or hammer and do it again. This is done slowly and all your concious thinking is directed to doing this perfectly. If done correctly you will be mentally tired.

What you can do is while watching TV is do magazine exchanges over and over with out looking at the gun. You can also press the trigger while watching the TV to feel the trigger move through its arc without looking at the sights. You are trying to feel exactly what the trigger feels like as it is moving acrss the sear or disconnector.

Since most actions start with the draw I would suggest you draw, align the sights on a very small object on the wall and press the trigger without moving the sights. Make sure your first shot is perfect and you have the proper grip and stance.

To ingrain an action you should operate at 75% speed and make sure EVERYTHING is done correctly. Remember practice just makes permament but PERFECT practice make perfect!

I can suggest that every morning after you strap on your gun you say to yorself that today may be the day you will need this tool to save your life then do 5 slow perfect draws and let the hammer fall. One thing to try to do is make your draw so good that when your pistol stops the sights are perfectly aligned with the targert so that you don't waste time to make an adjustment.

Then once your practice is over make sure you say this to yourself, "I'm finished, not one more time". Most every ND I have know about was from someone, after loading their pistol, said "one more time".

Do I need to remind anyone to unload their weapons and move the ammo to another place.

If you did this for a month or two your shooting would improve greatly.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links