Becoming an NRA instructor

This is a discussion on Becoming an NRA instructor within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been thinking about working towards becoming an NRA pistol and personal defense instructor. I'd like some info from those of you who've done this. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming an NRA instructor

I've been thinking about working towards becoming an NRA pistol and personal defense instructor. I'd like some info from those of you who've done this. This isn't a monetary decision, but do you make money at this? Or, is it on a volunteer basis?

Administrator
    Yes, I take money. I've found that if you offer service for free, people treat it the same as you value it. Now, I do offer free stuff from time to time to certain community groups and the like, thats a bit different.
    "Just blame Sixto"

i'm taking the class now. i hope to make a little money on the side with it and free range time :)

You can offer the classes either way.

As an example, I work with a couple of local gun clubs, providing the training for them at no cost while they charge for people to attend. It is a way to help out the club.

I also have a training company that offers a number of courses, including those from NRA. I charge for these.

Randy

if you offer service for free, people treat it the same as you value it

Truer words are seldom spoken.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I've been certified since the early 1980's. I have focused my classes on the adolescent age group but have taught many adults in the safety and use of all firearms. I have always volunteered my time to local clubs and many classes through Boy Scouts. I find it peaceful contributing back to the community.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Klaatu View Post
    if you offer service for free, people treat it the same as you value it

Truer words are seldom spoken.
    I tried to give away a trailer for free and no one answered the ad, So I put a $500 price on it and they were fighting for it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

what costs are involved to become certified? Are there yearly dues to keep your certification, etc?

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure you just have to keep your membership current and teach at least one class a year, but I'm not positive about that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You don't have to be an NRA member to be an instructor, although it is strongly encouraged. The prices listed below are for NRA members. Non-members are charged a little more.

The certification fees are $6 per year per discipline group for the first year. After your first year, you can renew for 1, 2, or 3 years at a time and, if you renew for more than 1 year, there's a bit of a discount on the $6 per year per group. Renewals are also prorated so you aren't paying "double" for the overlapped time.

There's also a one time processing fee for each discipline group. The processing fee for the initial instructor certification is $7.50 and subsequent discipline groups are $5.

You should teach at least one class per year for every discipline in which you are certified.

If there's something I can help you with or maybe just answer questions you may have, feel free to give me a call.

Randy Smith - NRA appointed master training counselor
    540-414-5449

Randy,
    Thanks. I will definately call you.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    You don't have to be an NRA member to be an instructor, although it is strongly encouraged. The prices listed below are for NRA members. Non-members are charged a little more.

The certification fees are $6 per year per discipline group for the first year. After your first year, you can renew for 1, 2, or 3 years at a time and, if you renew for more than 1 year, there's a bit of a discount on the $6 per year per group. Renewals are also prorated so you aren't paying "double" for the overlapped time.

There's also a one time processing fee for each discipline group. The processing fee for the initial instructor certification is $7.50 and subsequent discipline groups are $5.

You should teach at least one class per year for every discipline in which you are certified.

If there's something I can help you with or maybe just answer questions you may have, feel free to give me a call.

Randy Smith - NRA appointed master training counselor
    540-414-5449
    Randy,
    Thanks for the offer. I'll likely call you sometime this spring to discuss further.

I make about 200.00 a class (Basic Pistol) We get a good amount of interest because the NRA Basic Pistol class more than meets the requirements of the TN HCP certification.

Now...as for the range time...I've never spent so much time on a range NOT shooting.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    Now...as for the range time...I've never spent so much time on a range NOT shooting.
    This sums it up nicely. I'm the range several times a week and rarely fire a shot.

I try to attend at least two courses a year myself and these are about the only times I have for any quality shooting.

Randy

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I'd just like to say that I put in a call to Randy a little while ago because of this thread, because I am also looking into getting my instructor certification. Randy was very helpful to me and generous with his time.

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links