Advantages or Disadvantages of Light or Laser ?

This is a discussion on Advantages or Disadvantages of Light or Laser ? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just like the title says. I would like peoples opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of having a laser on their pistol/rifle or a light ...

Thread: Advantages or Disadvantages of Light or Laser ?

Advantages or Disadvantages of Light or Laser ?

Just like the title says. I would like peoples opinions on the advantages and disadvantages of having a laser on their pistol/rifle or a light ? My opinion on this, the laser is a no no unless you have no choice but to use one because of your eye sight. To me it gives away your position especially in a home environment. I have heard and spoken to some law enforcement peeps and they use the laser to intimidate offenders. On the flip side of the laser deal, helps you get on target faster, could be used effectively in an area where you KNOW that the area is clear of friendlies. A light on your weapon or hand held light, I use a hand held surefire G2 on my night stand. If ever I needed to use it I know not to turn it on until the last second to blind a home invader and give me a chance to defend myself. I always teach myself to hold that light kinda away from my body, I don't want to be a target. If I hear a lot of noise than I know their are more than one of them, good idea not to use the light at all. And also if you have loved ones in seperate rooms you have to have make sure they were secure. I am debating whether to get a laser on my AR, my friend got one of those green lasers on his, it cost a lot .... is it worth it ? I have a SuperTac Streamlight on my AR, use mostly for varmit hunting, very nice light. But I have never been a big fan of lasers, opinions anyone ?
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Lots of threads on this subject available on this forum. Check out a few. If you have additional questions, lots of knowledgeable people available here to fill in the gaps.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Here's something I posted on Lasers after having them on my gun for a bit. If you can't tell, I like lasers in certain circumstances. First off, it helps with learning to Point Shoot, and while not appropriate for all situations, just as Night Sights aren't either, they are pretty darn good for the situations that they are designed for.

OK, I've had the laser on my Hi Power for a bit, and I'm sold.

It's not for every situation, but then neither are Iron Sights, or Night Sights. I think it's a good tool to have in the box, so to speak.

I spent some time tonight practicing light control, and not telegraphing myself as I walked through my house. If you're doing it correctly the laser won't give you away anymore than your white light will, actually it will give you away less.

In dim light situations I like the fact that I can see the laser without my glasses better than trying to use my Night Sights. Using my sights without my glasses, in the dark, really isn't an option for me. Also, when confronted with a threat, I find myself trying to watch the threat, and not the Front Sight, which is what we need to see if we are going to hit our target.

Granted, in bright light lasers don't work well, but then neither do Night Sights. If it's bright enough that the Night Sights don't work, and I'm without my glasses, I do OK with just Iron Sights, as the light really helps.

Like I said, lasers are just another tool to have in the box. They aren't for every situation, but they seem to work well for the one's they are designed for. Honestly, if I could only have Night Sights, or a Laser, and not both, I'd take the laser.

I don't mean for this to sound like an advertisement for a laser company, but I am sold on them. It took me years to come around to Night Sights, and now I'm accepting lasers. I guess those talks with combat vets from Iraq, at work, really got me thinking.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker
    If you can't tell, I like the lasers, but I also believe that you have to know how to shoot with Iron Sights. In fact, I've spent the last 300/350 Rounds with the laser turned off.

I hope that helps. You will find some people really like them, and others just haven't come around yet. I admit to being very slow to coming around to Night Sights. I guess once I jumped on the "tech" Bandwagon I was quick to come around.

I do most of my practice with standard sights, or night sights as the laser is for when I'm without my glasses and it's dark. That by the way, the dim light, is when most self defense shootings occur if I remember most of my stats. I also practice dry fire "pointing" at home and like the laser for that as well.

At the risk of repeating myself, they aren't the cure-all for everything, but they are another tool to have and use. I don't use a screw driver when I need al allen wrench, hint, hint.

I'm so sold on them that I believe they should be on every defensive firearm one owns, and I'm working towards putting them on all my carry guns, but that takes time. Next I will put them on a BUG and then on a 1911. After that, I'll work on putting them on my other guns. I would caution you about qualifying them as only for people with "eye problems" as they serve a purpose even for thos with perfect vision. They are also a great training tool, IMHO.

Biker

Advantages to both. Can't really think of any disadvantages unless you consider giving away your position.

re:

I practice A LOT on point shooting close range and to about 7 yds. Those are the distances inside my house. To me I just don't want to be dependent on the laser. For me a good set of night sights will work. In my house it isn't ' totally ' dark. I prefer a front sight that glows a bit, rear sights ... standard. For duty where I work they will not let you alter your sights. I just saw on Midway the green Laser Max laser .... $329 !!! I think I would rather have extra ammo that than a green laser for my AR, LOL.
    Springfield Armory 1911-A1 TRP SS
    Glock 17
    Glock 32 ( w/ 23 barrel )
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9

I don't think this belongs in tactical training.

but, I don't care for lasers but have lights (surefires) mounted on my two home defense pieces (a glock 22 and a rem 870)

Here is a video I made as a response to someone that said lasers and lights are a disadvantage because it leads a beam back to your pistol and a person can hide until you walk by and then shoot you. So I made this to show a more realistic scenario. I agree that lasers and lights are failproof and they have their place...but thats the beauty of the viridian..I can quckly turn it on and off or switch modes from just light, to just green laser, to both or to both on with one strobing.

YouTube - 1st Person Tactical View vs Intruder View - Viridian Green Laser

Here is me shooting my Beretta Px4 Storm with a Viridian X5L Tactical Light and Green Laser
    YouTube - Shooting Beretta Px4 Storm / Viridian XL5 Gen 2 Green Laser

Quote Originally Posted by Tx1911 View Post
    I practice A LOT on point shooting close range and to about 7 yds. Those are the distances inside my house. To me I just don't want to be dependent on the laser. For me a good set of night sights will work. In my house it isn't ' totally ' dark. I prefer a front sight that glows a bit, rear sights ... standard. For duty where I work they will not let you alter your sights. I just saw on Midway the green Laser Max laser .... $329 !!! I think I would rather have extra ammo that than a green laser for my AR, LOL.
    I also do a lot of practice on point shooting, or as is now more politically correct, threat focused shooting. As for lasers, the draw back for me is that they are too slow to get on target as opposed to good point shooting. That said, I also agree with some and think that they may have some advantages in certain tactical situations.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I also do a lot of practice on point shooting, or as is now more politically correct, threat focused shooting. As for lasers, the draw back for me is that they are too slow to get on target as opposed to good point shooting. That said, I also agree with some and think that they may have some advantages in certain tactical situations.
    Like a dark movie theater?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    PodCast #186 may be of interest to some on fighting at night

Handgun World Podcast
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Links