Carry Weapon Stance? - Page 2

Carry Weapon Stance?

This is a discussion on Carry Weapon Stance? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Exclusively Weaver.......

View Poll Results: What stance do you use for your main carry weapon?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weaver Stance

63 34.24%
  • Isosceles Stance

45 24.46%
  • Combination of the two

47 25.54%
  • Neither of the two/Self-created Stance

18 9.78%
  • I'm not sure

11 5.98%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carry Weapon Stance?

DC Founder
    Exclusively Weaver....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Voted Weaver stance.
    God bless our troops!

I would have to say the Chapman which is the weaver with the gun arm straight
    and the support hand slightly bent

Lead Moderator
    Weaver stance.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I learned what was called the modified weaver, what was just described above as the chapman stance. When I got out of being a LEO in '97 they were just starting to teach us to use the iso since that gives better coverage with a vest.

Personally I prefer the chapman because it is a more stable shooting platform and it gives you (or at least me) the ability to "shoot and scoot" and retain balance.
    To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless.
    Lysander Spooner (1808 1887)

Aggressive Isosceles.

Like this guy:

Personal Defense Solutions - Photo Gallery
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I voted Neither of the Two. However, for target shooting, I use the modified isosceles. In a tactical situation the chances of being in a particular stance is slim to none. JMHO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

9mm is the only one I can get away with iso. Everything else (10mm, 45 Auto, 50AE) is weaver.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    learned weaver from my dad, shot that way for 20 years

in LE training we were taught and aggressive iso stance and a new grip (took me a couple of days to get used to it during firearms training), but once I got used to it I could see it was more stable than the weaver I had been using, had more control of the weapon and I shot a lot better
    we also use iso due to the fact that most of our body armor is toward the subject, and don't have the shoulder/armpits exposed for rounds to enter and cross the vital zone
    here is what our instructors were trained on and what we were taught:
    YouTube - Blackwater Pistol Training Course
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I'd describe my stance as hidari-hanmi. Left foot forward, center toward Uke. So I guess it's a combination of the traditional stances.

I haven't had much training in pistol stances, it just seemed to work for me.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    Chapman
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

None of the above.

I like a few others noted prior use when two handed shooting is appropriate and situation available the 'Modern Isosceles' method of handgun shooting, which is not a "stance" at all.

It is though a mode of handling a handgun toward application be [the individual] static or on the move forward, reverse, or lateral.
    Similar to the images shown above by Matiki which is Modern Isosceles and he termed "Aggressive Isosceles", only grossly exaggerated by the person as depicted, I have several more normal and common imagery at different angles of view toward the same method of handgun handling be the person standing or on the move...

Source - CQB Services: 'The Iron Hand of War'

Julie Goloski and Doug Koenig

Source - Smith & Wesson

Source - Officer.com: 'The Combat Draw Stroke. A life-saving skill you must master.'

Along with video...

Jim Zubiena in SLOW MOTION

Rob Leatham

Concealed Carry Tactical "Shooting on the Move"

Blackhawk Tips with Todd Jarrett: Shooting on the Move

United States Shooting Academy

And as described in detail as contrast against the Weaver and Chapman methods below;

The Ever So Modern Isosceles - Brief Article
    American Handgunner , Jan, 2000 by Dave Anderson
    "...the modern isosceles takes the hands and arms out of the equation. The arms and hands don't pull or push, they simply hold the gun. Because the arm muscles are not rigidly locked the trigger finger can operate with greater speed and precision."
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_57886945

The MODERN ISOCELES
    American Handgunner , Nov, 2000 by Ron Avery
    "The Weaver stance is -- don't be shocked -- obsolete. none of the top competitive shooters use it and police departments no longer train with Cooper's outmoded technique..."
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...24/ai_65910635

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Wow Janq. You don't mess around.

I have to keep really low due to flatter than flat feet. I bounce as I walk if my knees aren't deeply bent and shooting on the move is near impossible, hence my "aggressive isosceles", which is really just another way of saying knees deeply bent and leaning forward into the target.

Thanks for assembling all the links.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Additionally Matiki that pic being yourself (I didn't realize this prior) shows _additional benefit_ for a person in your individual physical condition situation toward getting 'small' whilst using the Modern Isosceles method.
    It's generally tough to hit a target at all muchless a small (not tall nor wide) target, even if it might be static. Especially if said smaller than tall and static target is firing/returning fire at you with purpose and accuracy (!).

Exceptions of course are children and school shooters in specific who have an uncanny and remarkable knack for pulling off head shots even out to 10 yard distances (!). Able to do multiples of times in shot to shot succession against static and even moving victims all the while using most any caliber handgun with little to no prior training. :|

Anyway I wanted to not just report but show and educate as well so that others in this thread posting or reading might see or learn something new to them outside their own individual amount of training degree.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I voted Weaver, but I shoot more of a Modified form or more that of the "Tactical" stance mentioned earlier. I lower my stance quite a bit more than the normal Weaver. Almost like a boxer type stance bladed off but with a handgun. It's more comfortable for me, allows me to move easier, and makes my shooting more accurate.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links