Integrated Threat focus Training

This is a discussion on Integrated Threat focus Training within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just completed Central Florida course on 3/15. Let me start by saying that I came inthe "gun thing" through the need to have to carry ...

Thread: Integrated Threat focus Training

Integrated Threat focus Training

Just completed Central Florida course on 3/15. Let me start by saying that I came inthe "gun thing" through the need to have to carry concealed over 30 years ago through a hobby/part time job as a dealer in rare U.S. historical documents. My first gunwas a J frame followed by a Colt officers .45. I have not shot from a holster in over 10 years.
    IN those thirty years it became apparent to me that traditional two hand sight picture draw would never be the "instance" I would face. If I faced a threat, it would be much more up close and personal. Thus, I spent a lot of time trying to find the right skill base but I never could find any material outside of a book entitled Quick or Dead. I signed up for this class because a close friend who carries for a living said that whatever I do, I need to find someone to teach me to shoot instinctively.
    Our class consisted of a range of experience - some had never fired the gun they were using; others were experienced hobbyists who enjoy cowboy shooting as well as defensive modern techniques.
    In short - for once in my life, I feel like I am learning something absolutely correct, right now , right from the start.
    This was more than just technique. Lots of time with my fellow students discussing weaponary and their individual frustration with other techniques/schools/training. I will tell you that as far as weaponary goes, round count has its' place here. Those Glocks performed superbly. Let's talk about mind set.
    How would like to hit targets you never moved your head to look at? Completely relying on your peripheral vision to execute a shot when multiple targets are encounteerd? How about shooting at your target and suddenly being grabbed by the shoulders and twisted yet you still focused totally on the threat infront of you and still hit COM? Imagine shooting extremely close quarters fromthe hip and realizing that your threat is not going down fom COM hits (wearing a BF vest) and you immediately "rocK" to a head shot in a nano second.
    Members, this is real world, on the street, in the parking lot, inside the elelvator, skill sets. When you go through exercises using peripheral vision you start to realze that your mind needs to be re-programmed. It wants "verification" - guess what - you want to live and being quick has a lot to do with that.
    1600 rounds, two days, without my sights. Think reference points. Imagine real world situations with multiple targets and just enough time to basicaly draw ( do you really believe you will be the first one to clear leather against a BG?). Superbly solid technique based on efficiency of motion - doing what comes naturally and what instinctively happens in the real world. I've watched hundreds of hours of You Tube videos of LEO's and civilians in gunfights - guess what? When the Sh** happens, it mostly one handed, crouched and magazines get emptied. Imagine our training; mostly one handed, lots of firepower. You should have witnessed inexperienced shooters, comletely shredding COM shots at the end of the class simply using their instincitive skills coupled with trainable technique. Awesome - I know - I was one of them.

2. Remove Ads

I was at this class also. expect for the back around being different from Dwyermw's I mirror his comments . I'll add that I would not hesitate to recommend this course to ANYONE!

Just got back home / unpacked from the same training. I can only second this review. Brownie is an absolutely fabulous instructor dealing very well with the wide range of experiences presented. Coming to the training, I was a bit worried that I wasn't ready for it and would meet a bunch of "gun nuts" who can already hit a dime at 100 yards and attend the training more to polish their technique. Well, I couldn't be more wrong.

before the training I had maybe 1,000 rounds shot, and the only class I took was a safety class. I read about different techniques, and played a bit at the range with various forms of "point shooting", but it didn't work too well for me.

Brownie gets you started quickly, with short distance shots from the hip. These shots are easy (well, at least in hind sight), and the initial quick success builds the confidence needed to move along. "The mind is the limit".

Here is what his training will do for you: It will teach you how to become a fast shooter in "street fight" situations out to 15 ft. The techniques will probably work for further distances, but we didn't go any further in class, and if you consider what people keep saying about gunfights, this is about what you should prepare for.

You will not learn how to hit a dime at 100 yards. But you will learn how to hit a torso (and/or head in some exercises) reliably and fast at out to 15/20 feet.

The #1 reason I own and carry guns is self defense. For me, I got exactly what I hoped for from this class. I hope to repeat a lot of what I learned on my range and expect my range trips to become a lot more focused and effective as a result. We almost exclusively started with the gun in the holster. Brownie also spent time to correct individual shooters and I can say for myself, his advice was dead on.

The class may not be right for you if you are trying to become a better competition shooter. But I never shot IDPA / IPSC myself, so it is hard to tell.

I would like to thank Brownie in particular for his exceptional skill and patient to deal with new shooters. I don't think he slowed down the class. We got to everything he promised including a lot of other things that didn't show up on the initial list.

I shot about 1,000 rounds, but only had 2 magazines with me (Sig 229, 12 rounds each). I spent a lot of time reloading. I had a 22 conversion kit with me, since I was afraid my wrist would give up after that many rounds. But the class was well paced with breaks to make this a non issue (and the kit only has a single 10 round magazine). My gun performed very well, but my ammo didn't (will start a new thread about that. Stay away from Georgia Armed "canned heat" IMHO).

Brownie: It was a great pleasure, thanks a lot, and I hope to do this again some time in the future.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

I'm still grinnin' about the class I took in Flagstaff last fall. I hope to get my daughter into one when Brownie's back instate.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I'm glad to see you all think so highly of Brownie and his class.

I wanted to take the class with you but the class was full by the time I noticed it was available. It sure filled up fast!

However I have secured a spot for the next class in Florida. I can't wait!
    Last edited by GreyGhost; March 16th, 2009 at 06:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    I'm glad to see you all think so highly of Brownie and his class.

I wanted to take the class with you but the class was full by the time I noticed it was available. It sure filled up fast!

However I have secured a spot for the next class in Florida. I can't wait!
    When and where is the next class in Florida being held?
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Is there some place where schedules for classes across the country are posted?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The best spot to find out about his classes is his forum:
    Threat Focused Forums - Powered by vBulletin
    (there is also tons of other information about his techniques).

I found out about the class right here on DC.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Not much more I can add about how great of an experience it was to take Brownie's class this past weekend. +1 on all that was stated. I got much more than expected and gained a lot of confidence. I've been shooting for many years and do a lot of competitive shooting involving pistols, but had no skills at all in the realm of what Brownie taught us. Sure, I could handle a gun before, but now, I can "run a gun ". This is the stuff that will help you survive a close quarters street gun fight, giving you the speed to get off the x and land the first shots where they need to go, without the need to wait for gaining a sight picture. Pull it and bang, you are going to work landing shots on the bad guy. I was very impressed. Next on my list is Brownie's unarmed & edged weapons defense class, as those are skills I need to add to my survival tool kit. Had a great time with all my class mates. Hope to see them again.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Is there some place where schedules for classes across the country are posted?
    Next class will be in September..we hope to be back at the same location. Brownie should have a confirmed date and location up by the end of this week..stay tuned..

Sponsor
    dwyermw,

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this last weekend's course. A real pleasure meeting and training with you sir.

You drilled the threats all weekend, and I know you were pleased with your draw speed, speed, and more speed and your hits, that big grin you had on your face gave you away all weekend.

magna750,

Same goes for you sir. Looking forward to your thoughts when you get the chance. Great shooting all weekend by you as well. Really enjoyed the time out for dinner and company Saturday night with you and dwyermw as well.

PaulJ,

By the end of the weekend, you were right there with the speed and hits on threat. Every skill was clicking for you by the end of the weekend. Really appreciate you and your wife attending the training.

AZ Husker,

We have got to get together in the desert, lets plan on it. Looking forward to meeting and training with your daughter.

sass20485,

Great shooting all weekend. You stepped up to the plate with every skill we were working on and decimated the threats with great speed and precision.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to put their thoughts to words on this one. Looking forward to returning to Fla, we'll definately be doing this one again in the fall. I'll be posting the announcement for a Sept date as soon as I can firm things up with the range owners.

BTW--The range owners were as generous and gratious as one could ever want in the use of the property. A special thank you to Tom and Robin from both Terry and I.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

I would go as far to offer a money back guarantee for Brownies class. If you are no happy with the class contact me and I will put you in touch with a mental health advisor. You will learn more in the 2 days than you could believe possible. Out of the holster and as many shots COM and then onto the center of the head in seconds. If I have to use one word it would be "Unbelievable." No smoke and mirror parlor tricks just some great and simple ideas that nobody ever showed you how to shoot. I too shot over 1,150 rounds in the two days and I can speak collectively for the group never once used our sites. Before taking the class I thought you needed sites in order to shoot correctly. They are NOT needed. Great real life stuff that will keep you above ground. Can you image looking a one attacker and without taking your eyes off of him shoot COM on the second attacker? or third? No problem. This is real life shooting the type that you need when the SHTF. I know of no other class like this. I was the only one not from Florida and traveled from NY to attend this class. Well worth the money.

We as a group were blessed with great weather and a great place to shoot. Many thanks to go around.
    To Brownie and Terry that you for passing along the knowledge that you posses.
    Sass thank you for bringing me my ammo and the location and please thank Tom and Robin once again from the group.

Brownie please skip this section..

For anybody think about signing up for the next class. IMHO it is was to cheap for what was taught. Please do not tell him that.

Sponsor
    HITCH KING,

Really appreciate the thoughts about last weekends class.

I'm very happy to hear you think the class is worth the tuition and you got your monies worth. It's not about what I can do with a gun, it's about what I can get students like yourself to do with a gun in a few short days.

Stay safe in NY,

Brownie

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Looks like it was a great class in a WARM part of the country!!!

Sponsor
    Another class put to bed Matt. Weather was just perfect and the students were very attentive and picked up the skills covered quickly.

Brownie

Links