Meet Jelly Bryce

This is a discussion on Meet Jelly Bryce within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The FBI'S Legendary Sharpshooter - Jelly Bryce...

Thread: Meet Jelly Bryce

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

2. Remove Ads

Great read. Thanks
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Yes, that was a good read. Two things stood out to me:

1) He practiced with his gun a lot.

2) He was aware of the evil in life. "Wherever he went, though, he was armed. His niece recalled that, taking a lesson from Bill Hickock, he never sat with his back to a room. He was always aware of the dark possibilities."

good read. thanks a lot

Administrator
    Great addition Matthew. All members should take some time out to read it.

Thumbs up

Awesome read!
    Thanks Matt!
    Glock 22, NS
    Glock 20, NS
    Ruger MkIII bull-barrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    You can't cure stupid, but you can give it a good whoopin to straighten it's thought pattern.

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar

How about good old Bill Jordan.
    Just a teaser about his abilities.

By Massad Ayoob

From The Complete Book of Handguns 2003.

One of my mentors was a man named Bill Jordan. The old Border Patrol gunslinger was the fastest man with a double-action revolver that I ever saw in person. He was the man who conceptualized the Smith & Wesson .357 Combat Magnum the gun he called a “peace officer’s dream.” There was one other revolver that he never get did to see, though.

A devoted and accomplished hunter, Bill had been impressed with the power of the .22 WMR (Winchester Rimfire Magnum) even out of a short pistol barrel. He wrote in his classic text No Second Place Winner ($19.85 including postage from its current publisher Police Bookshelf, P.O. Box 122 , Dept CH, Concord , NH 03302 ; 800-624-9049) about why he recommended always carrying a backup gun.

Bill did that religiously in his uniformed days. In act, I can honestly say that Bill Jordon once blew me away with his backup revolver.

The year was 1974. Bill had been retired from the Border Patrol for some time, and was working for the NRA as sort of an ambassador at large. His speaking performances always included his famous quick-draw act. Bill was putting on the show in New Hampshire . Apart of the program involved having a cop come up and hold a cocked single-action revolver on him, with finger on trigger, while Bill promised to outdraw the drawn gun and “beat the drop” with his old long-action Smith & Wesson .38 Special Military & Police revolver. Both gun, of course with loaded only with primer blanks.

I had just won the NH State Championship in Police Combatshooting, and as the resident state champ, was elected to be the guy holding the gun on (gulp!) Bill Jordan. I put my finger on the trigger of the cocked Colt Single Action Army .45 and watched his hand. I was young and cocky and thought I was pretty good, and I knew there was not way this old sixty-something guy could take me.

BANG! I was dead. I was aware of a flicker of movement of his right hand and before I could react and pull the trigger, he had drawn and fired the shot that would have killed me had his gun been loaded with real bullets. “We’ll try again,” Bill told the audience with his kind, crinkly smile.

This time I was ready. When I saw his hand move, I fired. Unfortunately, it was a dead man’s shot. Bill had drawn and fired before my Colt’s hammer could fall through its long arc. You see, this was a man who was on film reacting to a start signal, drawing and firing his S&W (and hitting the target) in 24/100 ths of one second.

“I think this boy deserves one more chance,” Bill drawled to the delighted audience. “He almost made it that time.”

Okay, ******, this time I’d really be ready. I had taken up the slack on the cocked Colt’s trigger. My eyes were on his right hand. When it moved I would…

BANG!

“What?!? His hand didn’t move! His revolver is still in the holster! And…”

Ah, yes. “And…” And, in Bill’s left hand, was a freshly-fired Smith & Wesson Airweight Chiefs Special that he had drawn from his left hip pocket and aimed at my head before he rolled back its smooth trigger on the primer blank that would have blown my brains out had it been a live round."

bosco

Thank you for the article on D.A. I have read it before, but it's been sometime.

D.A. was my grandfather's cousin, and I knew him in the 50's, even saw his shooting demonstraions a few times.

Thanks again.
    If you give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. If you teach a man to fish, he will sit in a boat and drink beer.

Great links Matt

Mr.Bryce was a gentleman, and I miss him and his teachings , and Mrs.Bryce's cookies

Fantastic read, thanks!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Links