Fighting Pistol - After Action Report

This is a discussion on Fighting Pistol - After Action Report within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just completed the Fighting Pistol course offered by Tactical Response out of Camden, TN. Their forum is Groupee Login I completed my course with ...

Thread: Fighting Pistol - After Action Report

I just completed the Fighting Pistol course offered by Tactical Response out of Camden, TN. Their forum is Groupee Login

I completed my course with a G26 and G19. 7 students. In two days I ran 1000+ rounds thru my "Baby". Here's the report:

Fighting Pistol/ Shelby, NC/ March 23/24, 2009. Taught by James Yeager and Jay Gibson.

I first heard about Tactical Response on another gun site. I checked it out, joined Get Off the X and started reading. I weighed the feedback that was given through course reviews by Alumni and my thinking wheels started turning. I researched info on other schools/courses/instructors, weighing the pros and cons of “the Others” vs Tactical Response. Bottom line was, I decided that Tactical Response offered exactly what I needed, a course to mold me from the ground up in how to protect myself and my family and potentially others. Yup, even a 60 year old can do it. I made a commitment to Tactical Response and myself and took the plunge.

I arrived the night before and was met by Jimmy Ellis, an Alumni of Fighting Pistol, and the host of the course in Shelby. I thank him for his hospitality, both before my arrival and after my arrival. Things only got better! On the first day, it started with meeting and having breakfast with James Yeager, Jay Gibson, and Scott (another student). Then off to the range. I was extremely nervous as this was my first training course. The instructors introduced themselves and then each student did a brief intro/background on themselves. Surprisingly, the experience level ranged from me the “first timer rookie” , to students that had trained with other instructors, military, etc. In other words, experienced folks. Safety Safety SAFETY was emphasized from the get go. Then before I realized it, the course was off and running.

I was/am a true novice with a pistol. This course was for me AND for the experienced shooters. The basics were covered. Proper holstering, grip, draw, reholstering, sight alignment, sight picture, trigger control, loading, unloading, ready positions, general shooting guidelines, and more. In other words THE BASICS that I needed to build upon. Then, the shooting began. Stationary shooting, moving and shooting, shooting from kneeling position, supine position (on your back), getting up and continuing the fight, and much more. Learning acronyms like F.A.S.T., M.O.V.E. and their IMPORTANCE to your survival. The three types of malfunctions were demonstrated and proper clearing techniques were taught. DAMN those orange dummie rounds! I must practice practice practice. But, it forced myself and everyone else to learn to do things the right way. MOVE MOVE MOVE. Don’t get caught up in standing there and clearing your malfunction while the BG shoots your butt, MOVE MOVE MOVE!! And then, if you have to reload, either due to dropping your magazine in clearing a malfunction, or being out of ammo, then reload the right way. "Pat….get your replacement mag out FIRST, drop your empty mag, get that elbow in, gun up, TAP, RACK, FIGHT. MOVE MOVE MOVE." I think I shall hear Yeager in my sleep.."MOVE PAT….DON’T F..KING STAND THERE!!! MOVE"…There was soooo much covered on day one, that my mind was reeling at the end. Back to the hotel, grab some supper, and get that homework done.

Day two, this old man took two Aleve, rolled out of bed and crawled to my clothes and got ready for the range. James Yeager talked about Mindset, Tactics, Skills, the legal aspects of deadly force, and being mentally prepared for the choices that you MAY have to make at a moments notice and the consequences of your choices.…I will not go into the lecture other than to say, it was riveting, educational, attention getting, and is guaranteed to make you reevaluate YOUR commitment to training, protecting yourself, your family, your life, and being forever alert. Then more shooting. Utilizing cover and concealment. Shooting from “up close and personal” distance. Oh..let me NOT forget those damn Allen Dots…SIGH!! "Take a breath, relax, squeeze, SLOWLY SLOWLY SEE THE FRONT SITE SLOWLY SLOWLY…." Practice Practice Practice. I promise Jay, I’ll learn to hit those damn dots or hurt myself trying.

So much was covered in two days, but in the end, I have the self satisfaction in knowing that I am much better prepared. I am proud of my accomplishments and have other things that I need to continue to work on so that eventually I can have that same feeling on them. I have developed confidence in knowing I can learn and master these skills. I will I will I will. None of this would have been possible without the patience, knowledge, and skills demonstrated by James Yeager and Jay Gibson. These guys are true professionals and committed to teaching their skills to others. If you are not doing something correctly, they will correct you, show you how it’s done, and will continue to insure you perform correctly. All of this is done without presenting any kind of condescending attitude, but with an attitude of “I want to give you the skills you need to survive!” I thank them for their patience. AND, every now and then Yeager told a joke that was funny! Thanks James and Jay. I firmly believe that whether you are a rookie, or at higher level(s) in your training and skills, Fighting Pistol is a course that ANYONE can learn something to improve their abilities. If you haven’t made a commitment to yourself, then DO IT NOW and take Fighting Pistol.
    Pat Northern, USAF Retired

A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.

Ramsey Clark
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Good post! Sounds like you're getting your training the right way. Good job. Also sounds like a quality course to take.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I guess I will break down and take their course, as they are just 30 miles from my house.
    Bob
    Its always a great day, if you don't believe me try missing one.
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

My $0.02

First Sgt,

Very nice AAR. Tactical Response puts on a great course. James in particular is a great instructor. I had the privilege of taking some 1on1 personal training with James.

I own and operate a full time training academy. However I still send my students to TR. So they have more tools for their tactical tool box.

Tom

great post, everyone can use more training, my wife and I are looking for a good place to train in the d/fw area as we speak
    EDC's Colt Defender 45 acp and S&W 442 .38
    Springfield XD 45 acp
    Ruger SR9
    Ruger Super RedHawk .44 mag
    mossberg 590 12 gauge tactical
    bushmaster AR15-M4

Man, that just sounds amazing. I would love to take a class like that. I may look into something like that in the Houston area.

Good review...I've taken several classes from Tactical Response and have been very satisfied. Great bunch of instructors and excellent training. And don'tcha just LOVE the "Allen Dots"

Make plans to attend Alumni Weekend...it's an event that's not to be missed
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I drove over to TR yesterday and they are having a Fighting Pistol class at their Camden, TN range May 9 and 10, so looks like I will sign up for this one.
    Bob
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Bob...I think you are making an excellent decision. Tell the folks at Tactical Response you saw Pat's, from Florence, After Action Report on DC. I don't think you will regret your decision.

Pat from Florence
    Last edited by First Sgt; March 27th, 2009 at 05:50 PM.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Quote Originally Posted by tnroadrunner View Post
    I drove over to TR yesterday and they are having a Fighting Pistol class at their Camden, TN range May 9 and 10, so looks like I will sign up for this one.
    do it...you won't regret it.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

How much did it run? Blackwater in Moyock has a 3 day class for $750 + expenses that sounds a lot like what you are describing. They are about 45 minutes away so I may go there for the training.

MeatPuppet...you have a private message.

Pat I did mention your AAR to Allen when I was there.
    Bob
    NRA, TFA, IDPA, 3 Gun

Sponsored Links