Close Quarters Survival Seminar--October in Virginia

This is a discussion on Close Quarters Survival Seminar--October in Virginia within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When: October 17-18, 2009 Where: Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy 1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401 (540) 322-3000 Trainers: 7677, Matt Temkin and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor

When: October 17-18, 2009

Where:
    Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy
    1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208
    Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
    (540) 322-3000

Trainers: 7677, Matt Temkin and Brownie

Equipment to bring: Eye and Ear protection mandatory----Pistol with minimum of 4 magazines; 1000 rds of ammo; Airsoft pistol if you have one;

Training knives provided-----Airsofts will be supplied on a limited basis.

Cost:Two days $400.00. When we reach 13 students it drops to $375.00, when we reach 15 students it drops to 350.00 per student. This class is limited to 16 students.

A deposit of 100.00 will secure a slot for this one. Email me at arizonaqkr "at" yahoo dot com for contact information

Course Curriculum:

Core pistol training utilizing sighted and point shooting techniques with Matt Temkin and 7677.

Threat Focused Pistol Quick Kill with Brownie

Introduction to drawing and shooting while moving out of the kill zone from 0-10 feet by 7677. Several important core concepts/components will be extensively covered under the guidance of all three instructors which will allow the student the best chance to successfully negotiate the time/distance problems faced on the streets.

Extreme Close Quarters hand to hand [ H2H ] skills which lead to integrating the pistol into the fight by all three instructors. This portion will also cover training in various physical skills for the gun disarm and gun traps by all three instructors.

Close Quarters H2H Defensive skills against a knife. This will be a round-table hands on segment where the students will have an opportunity to move among all of the instructors who will cover the best unarmed defensive edged weapons skills from different systems.

Force on Force with Airsofts utilizing the previously covered training from "in your face" out to 21 feet.

Since Matt, 7677 and I held the "Sightless in Tucson" event in October of 2005, we have all received constant requests to come together again for a H2H combatives class that would integrate the pistol skills and defensive edged weapons training into the mix. Here the chance to get hard core established real world skills from three instructors who are individually recognized for their various talents.

This course allows the student to learn effective close quarters street skills integrating the handgun and knife into the mix to survive an encounter in a two day package that's not only affordable but brings the talents of three instructors into one location.

Reviews of this course held 2 months ago here:

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2420

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2413

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2414

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Sponsor

update on announcement

Three slots filled this afternoon.

Brownie

Folks,

This is a unique opportunity to train with 7677, Matt Temkin and Brownie at my facility!

I look forward to learning from the masters! and putting some more tools in my tactical tool box!

If you need a hotel, Handgun, gear or ammo for this course shoot me a PM and my staff or I will assist in any we can.

I predict this will be a training event to remember.

Tom

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Thanks for the kind words, Tom.
    Here is a review of a police class that I co taught with 7677 at the Akron, OH PD range two years ago:
    AAR - Training with Matt and 7677 - Warrior Talk Forums
    And adding Brownie's skills to the mix will really liven things up.

Gents,

I had the chance earlier this month to train with Matthew Temkin and 7677 at their yearly summer training event.

First off, I (and my training partner) want to thank them and 7677's training partner JM for inviting me and my training partner to the event. I've been reading stuff from Matt and 7677 for years, and it's been great getting to know them a little bit and learn from them.

I've had nothing but sighted fire training until this year, when after alot of research, I decided it was time to get some point shooting training. One prominent instructor I've trained extensively with has you use your sights for 100% of the firing in class, and says if you have to shoot close in, just use the built in retention position of the draw. Problem is, you never actually do it in training.

I have to call BS on that, how can you be expected to do something in real life that you haven't trained to do? Answer: you can't!

Also, Steve Barron showed me a classic photo of this same instructor during an intense FoF event, and this same instructor is in a classic Fairbairn 3/4 hip position, under extreme stress in the scenario, firing. Hmmm. Barron said to me, with a grin on his face, already knowing the answer, "did you learn that position in your classes with him?" My answer, "Uh, no".

To quote Matt from one of his posts, we covered:

"point shooting both from a tactical officers point of view ( two hands in a hunter/active shooter mode) to extreme close range techniques. ( EU/ED, Zipper,retention, getting off the X, etc.)....some combatives and weapon retention....FOF a la airsoft" We also did some carbine pointshooting training.

We shot about 600rds each during the training day and covered a lot of material. There were some hardened, experienced Gunmen in this class, and not one of them came away unimpressed with this training.

Matt has a trememdous amount of knowledge and is a dynamic instructor, never failing to keep the attention of the class. He is the kind of guy that could easily misinterpreted on the street, just an average looking guy, but God help the crook that attacks this guy! My training partner and I were laughing on the way home at the sheer viciousness of Matt's demos. He is a real character and ball buster, and had us laughing our asses off at some points of the class. It was so damn hot that note taking was totally impractical, we had to focus on stuffing mags and drinking water when we weren't shooting, but I wish I'd had the chance to write down some of his one-liners. Matt is also a wheelgunner, which I like, as I carry two wheelguns everyday. The revolver is far from obsolete as a personal defense weapon!

7677 is a skilled operator and instructor, with tremendous knowledge, but much more low key than Matt. He did alot of the demos for the class, and let me tell you he is another guy you wouldn't want to tangle with at any range. He makes his duty G19 sound like a sub gun in some of the close range drills, with deadly accuracy.

Matt's buddy (who didn't want to be identified) and 7677's buddy JM were also assistant instructors for the class and did a great job of personal instruction. Thanks Guys! JM hosted this event and really worked hard and deserves a lot of credit for having the balls to teach these lifesaving skills to his men.

FoF saw some interesting things happen, I just wish that it had been videotaped, as I believe you can learn a great deal watching yourself on video.

These guys make a great training team. I would recommend anyone interested in no BS training contact these guys and bring them in for some training, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I've now trained with three of the instructors who were personally trained by Col Rex Applegate: Steve Barron, Clyde Beasley, and now Matthew Temkin. I've been nothing but impressed by the training offered by these men.

Pointshooting is alive and well in Ohio.

Thanks again,

Dave Williams

Sponsor
    Appreciate your considerations in allowing Matt, 7677 and myself the use of your facility and your thoughts Tom.

Looking forward to meeting and training with you as well.

Stay sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Appreciate your considerations in allowing Matt, 7677 and myself the use of your facility and your thoughts Tom.

Looking forward to meeting and training with you as well.

Stay sharp

Brownie
    I agree and look forward to meeting you in October.
    "TOUJOURS PRET"

I sent a Pm to DCJS and Matt awaiting some details but I am 90% percent that I can make the dates. Just waiting to see if is cheaper to fly or drive? Where to stay? If I can take away 1/4 of what I learned in Brownies class in florida it too will be worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    I sent a Pm to DCJS and Matt awaiting some details but I am 90% percent that I can make the dates. Just waiting to see if is cheaper to fly or drive? Where to stay? If I can take away 1/4 of what I learned in Brownies class in florida it too will be worth the money.
    PM sent.
    If we can go together then I would consider going via car, but I want to check out airfare.
    PS--airfare to Richmond is $169.
    Looks as if it pays to fly/rent car.
    Tom--which is the nearest airport to your facility?
    Last edited by Matthew Temkin; April 4th, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

Sponsor
    HITCH KING,

Hope to see you in Oct again. PM me if you are going so I can supply the address to send the deposit..

We've now got 4 slots filled and 5 if you are going.

Brownie

Sponsor
    Update:

6 on board at this time with deposits taken.

If you are interested in what others have to say about this course, here's a few reviews:

Sightless at Rio Salado Feb 2009 - Threat Focused Forums

Close Quarters Survival Seminar at Rio Salado (Salty River) - Threat Focused Forums

Sightless at Rio Salado After Action Review - Threat Focused Forums

Brownie

Sponsor

Where to stay-close to the range

Here's where 7677, Matt and I will be staying. It's minutes from the meeting location.

Meeting at 8am the morning of training here:

Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy
    1380 Central Park Blvd Suite 208
    Fredericksburg, Va. 22401
    (540) 322-3000

Staying here:

Fredericksburg Hospitality House
    Fredericksburg Hotels, Inns, & Lodging: Fredericksburg Hospitality House Hotel, Fredericksburg, VA
    2801 Plank Rd
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    (540) 786-8321
    CCJA Training Rate: $70.00 per night single occupant.

Brownie

Sponsor

BTTT

Looking for two more students on this one.

If you think you might be interested, contact me here with pm or via my email.

Brownie

Sponsor

BTTT-update

This class was filled but Matt, 7677 and I decided to open up two more slots if anyone is still interested.

8 with deposits at this time. We'll accept 10 total,

Thanks to those who've signed on, we're looking forward to meeting and training with all of you.

Brownie

Sponsor

BTTT-update This class is now filled

We've got 12 on board with deposits for this event presently.

This class is now filled and closed. If you are still interested, shoot me a pm or email and we'll get you on the alternate list should we have a cancellation.

thanks to everyone for their support, looking forward to meeting and training with everyone who signed on from the forum.

See you in Oct folks.

Brownie

Thanks for all who signed up.
    We will be offering this class in Az. in February and probably in Ohio later on in the year.
    Looking forward to this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links