Defensive Carry banner

Personal defense

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  mercop 
#1 ·
Hi all. New guy here.
I've recently applied for my GFL in Georgia and have been reading the forums. I've found some great stuff here. So looking forward to doing the Wally World Walk!
Anyway, I was wondering what other things do you practice from a personal defense stand point?
Some thing I've just always done are as follows.
I'm right handed, but have always carried my wallet in my left rear pocket. If I need it or am asked to "hand it over" in a stressful situation, I feel it would be best to have my dominate hand free.
And on the subject of wallets I keep my money in a money clip in my left front pocket. Again to have my dominate hand free if someone figures out I don't have any money in my wallet and asks for some of mine.
I keep a assisted opening knife clipped in my right front pocket just in case.
I plan to carry my weapon in a fobus paddle on my right hand hip about 4 o'clock concealed under my shirt.

Like I said, just curious about what ya'll do to stay alert and safe.

#2 ·
I keep a assisted opening knife clipped in my right front pocket just in case.
I plan to carry my weapon in a fobus paddle on my right hand hip about 4 o'clock concealed under my shirt.

Like I said, just curious about what ya'll do to stay alert and safe.
Merely carrying a gun and a knife aren't enough...get some professional training from someone who will teach you to fight with a gun and some training in knife use/defense and in empty-hand combatives.

also, you might want to rethink your choice of holsters...Fobus holsters suck.

Other than that, stay in "condition yellow"...don't let your awareness lapse.

#3 ·
Uncle Sam "trained me" for 8 years on every thing from 9mm to 20mm. Unit marksmanship instructor, and unit armorer. And, from Honduras with SF, to Japan, and Korea about 2 foot from a N. Korean boarder guard. I'm in a constant condition yellow (unless I'm at cond. red).
We'll see about the fobus. But I have been eying the Bianchi 100 PRO.
Not trying to sound smug. But thanks for your concern. I think I got it covered.

#4 ·
Good enough :hand10:

#5 ·
How are your hand to hand skills? You'll probably need those more often than a deadly weapon! :wink:

Then of course there's weapon retention. Personally I never seem to get enough practice on those levels. :gah:

#6 ·
Perhaps it's just me, but if you are engaged in a conversation with someone who asking for your wallet, you need to brush up on your awareness skills...can't say it doesn't happen, but many of these situations can be avoided by not trusting anyone and being very suspicious of those approaching you.

Take a SD pistol course and it will help open your eyes to the cruel world we all move around in...lots of predators out there.

Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!

#9 ·
I don't plan on having that conversation any time soon, and haven't had one to date. But as they say Sh..t happens. And I want my dominant hand free if it does.

So.. back to original question.
What do you use on a daily basis to stay safe?
Huh?
What do I do to stay safe on a daily basis?

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP with an extra mag, DPS pepper spray, a Kershaw Leek, a cell phone, a SureFire L4 Luma Max (100 lumens), a cell phone, and an attorney's phone number...:ziplip:
I avoid obvious places of trouble (no guarantee of a trouble-free life, just limits the possibilities)...:gah:
Stay in condition 'yellow' at all times...:yup:
Don't trust anyone, and have a plan to kill anyone you meet...:blink:
Make sure your sidearm is trustworthy...:yup:
Practice as much as you can...:yup:
Take a SD pistol course, or two, as soon as you can...:yup:
Develop muscle memory through practice...:king:
Read everything you can about SD scenarios and learn from the mistakes of others...:image035:
Interact on this forum...:image035:
Finally, get a shinny new CCW badge...NOT! I threw that one in for a laugh...it's joke:joke:...don't get a badge...:nono:

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!

#8 ·
Sounds like a plan, but as Kenpo said "Fobus holsters SUCK!"
Find a good quality leather holster with some cant and your retention chances improve 10 fold.
There are quite a few great leather craftsmen listed on this board.
Welcome to the forum:wave:

#12 ·
You raise a very valid point! I've never considered carrying my wallet in my back left pocket. Like you, I'm also a right hand draw person. Not to mention that telling a LEO that my firearm was on the same side as the location of my wallet might get the LEO somewhat nervous.

It might be worth my effort to try carrying my wallet in my back left hand pocket. Thanks for the idea!

#13 ·
I would check into some extreme close quarters training (mixing martial arts and guns). Kelly McCann (Jim Grover) has some great information on this. My biggest concern was 0-5 feet and fighting to produce a weapon before I started defensive pistol courses. The ability to get your weapon out in tight places, under great stress is priceless. Just my $.02
There's a reason why LEO's and professionals don't carry Fobus, leather is your friend. Just my $.02

#14 ·
Tools I carry on an every day basis probably 80% or more of the time.

While a lot of people do not carry two guns (I do). Regardless, I also carry a good Benchmade Griptilian folding knife, a small can of Fox Labs OC spray and a 120 lumen LED Flashlight that is long enough to do double duty as a Kubotan impact weapon. (I don't carry the Insight M3 tac-light very often, but I sometimes have it with me) I also carry spare magazines but I forgot them when took the picture of my EDC gear. Since obtaining a Ruger LCP I will sometimes carry that as a back-up gun or even add it as a 3rd.

One of the best things I do to keep safe is practice my draw from concealment and getting off that first shot with an unloaded gun. Dry Fire Practice!

I also have lots of H2H combat skills gleaned from USMC and also as a former certified law enforcement defense and control tactics and groundfighting instructor.

#17 ·
Yes, I try to as often as possible. However, that is not as often as I would hope. My "only" training buddy is a local deputy, so between both of our work schedules we don't have a lot of time to train. It's unfortunate because I feel that all people should train weapon retention as much as possible.

I'm always open to learning better weapon retention techniques though; Any suggestions, mercop?

#18 ·
Are you using a blue gun? Also a good idea to cut the front sight off for safety. Are you doing it from standing and the ground, front and back?

The main mistake I see with lots of in the holster retention drills is they fail to take into consideration that both of the BG's hands are likely on the gun and you only have one. Much of the time I see guys keeping their gun in the holster by putting their hands on top of it. This takes lot of energy. It is easier to grab the bottom of the holster and pull it up forcing your pistol into your side preventing deployment. This also increases the bad guys fixation and is a good time to deploy a blade from the reaction side. My choice is an Emerson Karambit worn in the reverse grip.

For gun out of the holster the trick is keeping the gun close to your body and using your elbows to fight, also don't be afraid to strike with the pistol. Kicks to the attackers shins will hollow him out, bring his head down and give better access to the top of his head and spine.- George

#19 ·
Are you using a blue gun? Also a good idea to cut the front sight off for safety. Are you doing it from standing and the ground, front and back?
Blue gun, yes. Good idea on the front sight though. That bugger has snagged the both of us plenty. As far as the practice, we primarily focus on standing drills (both front and back, more focus on back). Ground work, not so much.

Great advice, as always, mercop.

#21 ·
During a fall the arms go out to the side to break your fall....even if you are holding a gun. This can lead to injury and dropping the gun. Get a mat and have some fun. Have your partner wear boxing gloves and try to stop you from getting your gun out of the holster. Fighting to keep it in is often easier that fighting to get it out. It is easier to lock the gun in than move it.- George

BTW I just got back from Dallas. Great town in a great state.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.