Personal defense

This is a discussion on Personal defense within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all. New guy here. I've recently applied for my GFL in Georgia and have been reading the forums. I've found some great stuff here. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personal defense

Personal defense

Hi all. New guy here.
    I've recently applied for my GFL in Georgia and have been reading the forums. I've found some great stuff here. So looking forward to doing the Wally World Walk!
    Anyway, I was wondering what other things do you practice from a personal defense stand point?
    Some thing I've just always done are as follows.
    I'm right handed, but have always carried my wallet in my left rear pocket. If I need it or am asked to "hand it over" in a stressful situation, I feel it would be best to have my dominate hand free.
    And on the subject of wallets I keep my money in a money clip in my left front pocket. Again to have my dominate hand free if someone figures out I don't have any money in my wallet and asks for some of mine.
    I keep a assisted opening knife clipped in my right front pocket just in case.
    I plan to carry my weapon in a fobus paddle on my right hand hip about 4 o'clock concealed under my shirt.

Like I said, just curious about what ya'll do to stay alert and safe.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nytestalker View Post
    I keep a assisted opening knife clipped in my right front pocket just in case.
    I plan to carry my weapon in a fobus paddle on my right hand hip about 4 o'clock concealed under my shirt.

Like I said, just curious about what ya'll do to stay alert and safe.
    Merely carrying a gun and a knife aren't enough...get some professional training from someone who will teach you to fight with a gun and some training in knife use/defense and in empty-hand combatives.

also, you might want to rethink your choice of holsters...Fobus holsters suck.

Other than that, stay in "condition yellow"...don't let your awareness lapse.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Uncle Sam "trained me" for 8 years on every thing from 9mm to 20mm. Unit marksmanship instructor, and unit armorer. And, from Honduras with SF, to Japan, and Korea about 2 foot from a N. Korean boarder guard. I'm in a constant condition yellow (unless I'm at cond. red).
    We'll see about the fobus. But I have been eying the Bianchi 100 PRO.
    Not trying to sound smug. But thanks for your concern. I think I got it covered.

Good enough
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    How are your hand to hand skills? You'll probably need those more often than a deadly weapon!

Then of course there's weapon retention. Personally I never seem to get enough practice on those levels.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Perhaps it's just me, but if you are engaged in a conversation with someone who asking for your wallet, you need to brush up on your awareness skills...can't say it doesn't happen, but many of these situations can be avoided by not trusting anyone and being very suspicious of those approaching you.

Take a SD pistol course and it will help open your eyes to the cruel world we all move around in...lots of predators out there.

Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't plan on having that conversation any time soon, and haven't had one to date. But as they say Stuff happens. And I want my dominant hand free if it does.

So.. back to original question.
    What do you use on a daily basis to stay safe.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 5th, 2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Language workaround.

Sounds like a plan, but as Kenpo said "Fobus holsters SUCK!"
    Find a good quality leather holster with some cant and your retention chances improve 10 fold.
    There are quite a few great leather craftsmen listed on this board.
    Welcome to the forum
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by nytestalker View Post
    I don't plan on having that conversation any time soon, and haven't had one to date. But as they say Sh..t happens. And I want my dominant hand free if it does.

So.. back to original question.
    What do you use on a daily basis to stay safe?
    Huh?
    What do I do to stay safe on a daily basis?

I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP with an extra mag, DPS pepper spray, a Kershaw Leek, a cell phone, a SureFire L4 Luma Max (100 lumens), a cell phone, and an attorney's phone number...
    I avoid obvious places of trouble (no guarantee of a trouble-free life, just limits the possibilities)...
    Stay in condition 'yellow' at all times...
    Don't trust anyone, and have a plan to kill anyone you meet...
    Make sure your sidearm is trustworthy...
    Practice as much as you can...
    Take a SD pistol course, or two, as soon as you can...
    Develop muscle memory through practice...
    Read everything you can about SD scenarios and learn from the mistakes of others...
    Interact on this forum...
    Finally, get a shinny new CCW badge...NOT! I threw that one in for a laugh...it's joke...don't get a badge...

Stay armed...get training and practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Carry 9mm IWB in Don Hume holster, can of Sabre Red pepper+mace+UV dye Spray, CRKT M16 folder, and a small MagLight. As far as the Fobus holster here's a video you should watch before considering it for your CCW holster.
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster
    "I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything!" Bart Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by BradyM77 View Post
    Carry 9mm IWB in Don Hume holster, can of Sabre Red pepper+mace+UV dye Spray, CRKT M16 folder, and a small MagLight. As far as the Fobus holster here's a video you should watch before considering it for your CCW holster.
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster
    Very educational video.. Thanks!

You raise a very valid point! I've never considered carrying my wallet in my back left pocket. Like you, I'm also a right hand draw person. Not to mention that telling a LEO that my firearm was on the same side as the location of my wallet might get the LEO somewhat nervous.

It might be worth my effort to try carrying my wallet in my back left hand pocket. Thanks for the idea!
    "Gun control is being able to hit your target."
    Glock 26

I would check into some extreme close quarters training (mixing martial arts and guns). Kelly McCann (Jim Grover) has some great information on this. My biggest concern was 0-5 feet and fighting to produce a weapon before I started defensive pistol courses. The ability to get your weapon out in tight places, under great stress is priceless. Just my $.02
    There's a reason why LEO's and professionals don't carry Fobus, leather is your friend. Just my $.02
    Join the NRA and Gun Owners of America.

Tools I carry on an every day basis probably 80% or more of the time.

While a lot of people do not carry two guns (I do). Regardless, I also carry a good Benchmade Griptilian folding knife, a small can of Fox Labs OC spray and a 120 lumen LED Flashlight that is long enough to do double duty as a Kubotan impact weapon. (I don't carry the Insight M3 tac-light very often, but I sometimes have it with me) I also carry spare magazines but I forgot them when took the picture of my EDC gear. Since obtaining a Ruger LCP I will sometimes carry that as a back-up gun or even add it as a 3rd.

One of the best things I do to keep safe is practice my draw from concealment and getting off that first shot with an unloaded gun. Dry Fire Practice!

I also have lots of H2H combat skills gleaned from USMC and also as a former certified law enforcement defense and control tactics and groundfighting instructor.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I constantly practice weapon retention (And I enjoy learning new methods), and quick draw methods.

When it comes to target practice with the pistol, I almost exclusively train with point shooting being the focus.
    Beretta 92FS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links