Trigger pull..(how to)

This is a discussion on Trigger pull..(how to) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can anyone tell me a good way to develop a good trigger pull. I keep pulling to the left when i squeze the trigger. Yeah ...

Thread: Trigger pull..(how to)

Trigger pull..(how to)

Can anyone tell me a good way to develop a good trigger pull. I keep pulling to the left when i squeze the trigger. Yeah i know that i can keep practicing but didnt know if yall had any other ideas. Anyway thanks in advance...
    ""If you dont like America than get the hell out"".

2. Remove Ads

Put a dime on the slide of your unloaded gun and pull the trigger. If it falls you are jerking the trigger. Be sure you are isolating you trigger finger from the rest of your hand during trigger pull. Slow and steady pressure to the rear like you are trying to only let one drop out of a baster. Hope it helps- George

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Put a dime on the slide of your unloaded gun and pull the trigger. If it falls you are jerking the trigger. Be sure you are isolating you trigger finger from the rest of your hand during trigger pull. Slow and steady pressure to the rear like you are trying to only let one drop out of a baster. Hope it helps- George
    Have used the same method myself, best way I have heard of to develope good trigger control.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Never pull the trigger... press it!

Dry fire practice helps a lot. I've done the dime on the front sight and it does help you develop trigger finger muscle memory. You can also do the "wall drill". just stand close to a wall, muzzle almost touching, and when you dry fire practice "pressing" the trigger without moving the weapon.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

The dime suggestion works.

Out of curiosity, you say its pulling to the left, which hand are you shooting with? What kind of pistol are you using?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A laser mounted on the gun can be very useful for dry fire trigger practice. Doesn't have to be expensive. Can even be a laser pointer taped temporarily to the gun for dry fire practice. doesn't have to be precisely aligned with the bore, because you're not using it to aim, only to diagnose and correct your hand motion.

Point at a spot on the wall across the room. Watch the laser spot move as you pull the trigger.

Initially you might find that you're moving all over the place. After hundreds of dry-fire trigger pulls. You may find that you've got the gross-movement problem under control.

Then try pulling fast, and also very slowly. Try pulling just once, then try pulling many times in rapid succession. Try changing your grip, and how far the trigger finger extends into the trigger guard. You're likely to find differences in how the laser beam jerks with each of these changes. This lets you diagnose a number of problems, isolate them, and work on them separately (through lots of dry fire practice).

Then the challenge is to not throw all your dry-fire learning out the window when you get onto the range with live ammo. For the most part any difference between live fire and dry fire is in your head, but often when things go live, and things get noisy and jerky, we get scared or anxious and forget the control we learned in dry fire practice. so you have to do live fire practice periodically to get over these mental obstacles. ("Be cool man, the gun can't hurt you from behind.")

Make sure you are using just the pad of your finger and not putting the joint of your finger on the trigger.

Using the joint will cause you to pull to the left.
    "Don't be afraid to see what you see.
    -Ronald Reagan-

Some folks like this:

http://www.nimrodleague.org/images/wheel.gif

Sort of worked for me a little, but no substitute for practice. I like the dime idea.

p.s., linked target is for a right-handed shooter; mirror image for lefties.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Control your breathing as well, the dime trick is a great way to build muscle memory in your trigger finger
    Glock 22 .40 s&w
    Smith and wesson m&p 9mm
    Kimber Eclipse custom 2 .45acp
    Beretta px4 storm 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpetchuck View Post
    Make sure you are using just the pad of your finger and not putting the joint of your finger on the trigger.

Using the joint will cause you to pull to the left.
    Second that!
    Check your finger placement!

Links