Close Quarters Survival Seminar- June in Denver

This is a discussion on Close Quarters Survival Seminar- June in Denver within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Course description: This course will teach student how to survive a close quarter gunfight through the integration of hand-to-hand, movement, point and sighted fire techniques. ...

Thread: Close Quarters Survival Seminar- June in Denver

Close Quarters Survival Seminar- June in Denver

Course description:
    This course will teach student how to survive a close quarter gunfight through the integration of hand-to-hand, movement, point and sighted fire techniques. By course end, the student will be able to hit any point he looks at out to 7 yards or so, from any position, without using his sights.
    When: Sat/Sun June 13-14, 2009

Where: Private range in the Denver area.

Instructors: 7677 and Steve Camp (aka 'steve2267')

Cost: $350.00 ($300.00 if deposit made by 5-1-09)

Deposits of $100.00 will secure your slot for this event; deposit by 5-1-09 and your cost is only $300.00. Send me an email at steve@camptechnologies.com for physical address to which you can send the deposit or for online payment.
    Start and End Time: 8:30am – 5:30pm
    • Be on the range by 8:30am to load your ammo, gear up and make ready, we start shooting right at 9am both mornings.
    • 30 minutes for lunch
    • Due to location, we recommend you pack a lunch.
    • Directions will be provided upon receipt of deposit or payment in full

Equipment to bring:
    • Eye and Ear protection mandatory
    • Pistol with minimum of 3 magazines, 5 magazines are recommended
    • Holster & magazine pouch
    • 1000rds of ammo (minimum)
    • Airsoft pistol if you have one (Airsofts will be supplied on a limited basis.)

Equipment Notes
    • As we all know, ammunition is becoming scarce and more expensive. If you have a reliable .22 pistol (with a corresponding suitable holster) OR a .22 conversion kit (e.g. an Advantage Arms 19-23LE kit), feel free to bring and shoot it. We strongly recommend that you shoot at least approximately 300 rounds from your carry gun.
    • A limited number of Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits for Glock 19/23/32 are available. Please contact Steve Camp for details
    • If you’re unable to bring your pistol, contact Steve.
    • If you’re not able to find ammo, contact Steve.

Description of skills covered:
    • The draw stroke
    • Shooting throughout or at any point in the draw stroke.
    • One handed garment clearance
    • FSA Pointshooting
      • Point shoulder
      • hip
      • hip (aka Elbow Up/Elbow Down: [EU/ED] )
    • Quick Kill Handgun
      • Two handed
      • One handed
      • Quick Kill hip – multiple threats from the hip
    • Two handed Sight and Threat Focused shooting Techniques (Quick Fire)
    • Sight/Fight Continuum:
      • When to go hand-to-hand or gun.
      • When to use the sights or threat focused technique.
      • The necessary amount of extension for a given distance.
      • Subconscious Competence, Programming and the OODA Loop
      • Action vs. Reaction and the role “Taking The Initiative” plays in winning a gunfight.
    • The Zipper, Focal Transition, and Failure to Stop Drills
    • Ready positions:
      • One handed hip
      • Two handed compressed
      • Modified SUL
      • Covert
    • Movement techniques:
      • Getting off the ‘X’
      • Hiding behind a wall of bullets
      • Lateral movement
      • Parallel Tracking
      • Movement vs. Stand and Deliver
      • In Quartata
      • Pivots
      • Movement Drills
        • Multiple Threat Drill
        • Threat Identification Drill
        • The ‘S’ Drill
    • The Final test will be Force on Force with Airsofts utilizing the previously covered training from "in your face" out to 21 feet.
    Last edited by steve2267; April 9th, 2009 at 11:30 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Let's go guys. I tried to set this up, but my range location fell through. Fortunately Steve was able to get a location for this.

This is Brownies (Quick Kill) team!

All you Colorado and Wyoming members, we finally have this in our area!
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsor
    We're very pleased to be having Steve and 7677 offering this course in the Denver area Sticks.

I've co-instructed with 7677 in three courses [ Tucson, Philly and Mesa, Az at Rio Salado ] since Oct. 05 and with Steve at the Rio Salado Close Quarters Survival Seminar event just recently where Matt Temkin and 7677 were also on board. Couple of reviews of that course can be found here:

Sightless at Rio Salado Feb 2009 - Threat Focused Forums

Close Quarters Survival Seminar at Rio Salado (Salty River) - Threat Focused Forums

Good luck with this class you two, I'm sure the students will be very pleased with the amount of information and types of skills passed in the two days of training.

I won't be able to make this one in Denver as I have another course running in Florida concurrent with this course in Unarmed Self Defense Skills covering unarmed defensive edged weapons; open hand combatives; gun/knife disarms; and learning to access and use a folder for personal self defense here:

Two Day Unarmed Self Defense Skills Course - Threat Focused Forums and here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ls-course.html

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Can we get a location (nearest town) for those that may need to secure lodging?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsor
    I'd PM or email Steve,

He has that information and will probably post that up based on your question.

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Can we get a location (nearest town) for those that may need to secure lodging?
    You bet. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was busy shoveling on Saturday and have also been waiting to hear back from the range owner. While I'm still waiting for his opinion... any of the three following areas should work:
    1. Motels at E. 120th Ave at I-25 in Thornton, CO
    2. Denver International Airport lodging on Tower Rd (I'd tend to avoid the motels adjacent to I-70 and Pena Blvd.)
    3. There's a Super 8, and Comfort Inn in Brighton, CO that are closer to the range.

Personally, if I were coming a long ways, I'd choose to stay near the first link -- 120th Ave & I-25 -- there is a good selection of lodging choices, and ample restaurants nearby. The 2nd choice, near DIA, is not really near anything other than jet aircraft noise, and, while I don't have anything against Brighton, the 3rd choice is kind of out in the sticks.

I've had one inquiry about child care. While child care is NOT provided , if you need care for some wee little ones to be able to shoot, I'll bend over backwards to help locate childcare for you. Please post or PM me if this means you!

Sponsor
    Update:

Talked with 7677 this afternoon and it looks like 5 on board and another three ready to pull the trigger with deposits in the next few days.

This class is going to offer the students a lot of bang for the buck, if you are remotely interested I'd contact Steve or 7677 about this one in the next week or so.

Brownie

Lodging Update
    1. The range owner highly recommends the Super 8, Comfort Inn, or Brighton Inn in Brighton, CO that are closest to the range. He says both are very new, offering clean, spacious rooms.
    2. If you were to fly into Denver Int'l Airport, here is a map showing lodging near DIA (I'd tend to avoid the motels adjacent to I-70 and Pena Blvd.)
    3. Motels at E. 120th Ave at I-25 in Thornton, CO would be closer to downtown Denver, and also have a wider selection of restaurants and things to do Saturday night.

JUST ADDED !!! EMERGENCY TRAUMA CARE / BLOWOUT KIT HOWTO

The March 27th shootout between an armed robber and an armed citizen in Miami shows WHY we need to be able to handle the after effects -- the armed citizen took four rounds in the fight, but he survived. While there are many lessons that can be learned in this incident, one of them has to be: if we engage in a gunfight, we may very well get shot, in fact, we should be prepared to get shot. It stands to reason then, that we should know how to administer emergency trauma first aid to ourselves, our loved ones, or others nearby.

This 90 minute module will teach you practical (i.e. hands-on) HOWTO use a trauma / blow out kit. In a short time you will learn the skills you can use to stop life threatening bleeding as well as what to do in the intervening minutes prior to arrival of Law Enforcement and EMS to save you're own life, if you are involved in a shooting incident. Taught by a paramedic with 14 yrs experience, and one of the responders to the Columbine High School Incident, we will cover:
    • Introduction
    • Why is immediate care important
    • Combat wounding
    • How we die from wounds in combat and the order that we want to address wounds
    • Tourniquet and use of them (we will be using the C-A-T tourniquet)
    • Improvising a tourniquet (e.g. with a triangular bandage)
    • Direct pressure and wound management
    • Breathing
    Last edited by steve2267; May 3rd, 2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: formatting

Our loss is your gain...

Through a miscue... we forgot to post a class announcement on The Firing Line. It didn't make sense to post on TFL without offering folks there a shot at the discounted class price. But by the same token, it didn't make sense to offer them a discounted price that extended beyond what was offered on other forums... so... here is the updated course announcement/offer, consistent across all forums on which we have posted announcements:

Cost: $350.00 ($300.00 if deposit made by 5-17-09)

Deposits of $100.00 will secure your slot for this event. In addition, if your deposit is made (or postmarked and e-mail notification sent) by 5-17-09:
    • Your total cost is ONLY $300
    • AND you will receive a firstline blowout kit including
      • Combat Application Tourniquet (C-A-T)
      • Emergency Trauma Dressing (ETD)
      • S-rolled Gauze
      • Petrolatum Gauze

If deposit or enrollment is made after 5-17-09, the blowout kit, which is the same kit we will be using in the class, will be available at cost (well, maybe I'll round up to the nearest dollar).

Bottom line: enroll and make a deposit by 5-17-09 and save $50 and get a FREE blowout kit!

Links