Preferred training method - Page 2

Preferred training method

This is a discussion on Preferred training method within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Add another for multiples....

View Poll Results: How I practice for real world situations

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • perticipate in compitition style shooting

11 12.64%
  • make my own shooting scenario's

11 12.64%
  • Range / target practice only

24 27.59%
  • Multiples

41 47.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferred training method

Add another for multiples.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I'd like to be able to vary my practice situations with something other than only range time, but I'm unaware of any other options that may exist in my area.
    "Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice; ammo is cheap, life is expensive."

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I do enjoy my IDPA but regard it mostly as entertainment shooting, plus, good handling training re firearm use fluency - in other respects it lacks some real world elements - plus not wanting to get too hung up on various reload methods. Does help keep me more slick tho I think.
    IDPA, from what I've heard, does seem more like entertainment than combat. For one, the discussion I've heard about reloading. I feel that if you are in a situation in the civilian world that you need to reload... you either haven't spent enough time on the range, the person you are shooting is more determined than you, or something has gone terribly wrong in your part of the world. That said, I do carry an extra magazine, and I'm 100% confident that if I ever need it, I'll be reloading it into an empty chamber and just dropping the empty mag. I can go pick it up later if I make it.

I very humbly think the thing about IDPA is you can shoot it like it was REAL WORLD if you are willing to "lose the match" and instead "train to win in a real gun fight". Go thru the stage and shoot it FOR YOURSELF and not to win a game and do so SAFELY and CORRECT from PROPER TRAINING and YOU will know if you are the real winner INSIDE YOURSELF, but if you need to win "the game" more, well then flip that safety off before you have identified your target and blast away. Just hope you don't repeat this in the real world. IMHO.

God Bless

p.s. I have a match on Sat. I will lose the match, but I will shoot it so I win in the end.

p.s.s. People do not train enough at target identification before safety off, press...IMHO
    Lions, Tigers, Bears and MTGun! Oh My!

Multiples for myself as well. I try to shoot with afew people from work atleast once a week. I would like to get into IDPA, but my shedual isnt flexable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGun
    I very humbly think the thing about IDPA is you can shoot it like it was REAL WORLD if you are willing to "lose the match" and instead "train to win in a real gun fight". Go thru the stage and shoot it FOR YOURSELF and not to win a game and do so SAFELY and CORRECT from PROPER TRAINING and YOU will know if you are the real winner INSIDE YOURSELF, but if you need to win "the game" more, well then flip that safety off before you have identified your target and blast away. Just hope you don't repeat this in the real world. IMHO.
    Yeah, I hope that no one who enjoys the sport took my comments to be disparaging. It's a common factor of any sort of measured rehearsal to become game like and lose some fidelity. I've never shot IDPA, so I really shouldn't be commenting on it, but it seems like a good time and there are certain skills I'm sure it helps train. We had the same discussions about training in the Army, you game the game, and take advantage of learning anything you can from it. There are probably some people out here who have more experience in designing training events that would better explain the usefullness of game-like training, despite the lack of fidelity on some counts.

Competition can help you familiarize yourself with your gear but it is in no way like real life.
    I'm convinced that force on force training is the best way to go.
    Oklahoma Shooters,
    Visit us at: http://www.okshooters.com

I juggle between setting up my own scenarios and target shooting. I've never done any competition shooting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links