Preferred training method

This is a discussion on Preferred training method within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw a thread about the up and down sides of (competition) type shooting as far as how it relates to real world success. So, ...

View Poll Results: How I practice for real world situations

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • perticipate in compitition style shooting

11 12.64%
  • make my own shooting scenario's

11 12.64%
  • Range / target practice only

24 27.59%
  • Multiples

41 47.13%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred training method

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I saw a thread about the up and down sides of (competition) type shooting as far as how it relates to real world success.

So, I am asking, as I am about to mail off my application to join IDPA.

How many out there participate regularly in a competition type activity and consider it to be a part of their training for if they ever encounter a SHTF moment.

If not, Do you set up your own scenario’s to practice, or do you simple shoot little holes in paper with little dots on it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Need to be able to choose multiples...
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff
    Need to be able to choose multiples...

THat's not a bad idea,

Can anyone help me with adding

All of the above

as a voting option.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - added that for you - in fact had I not voted might have gone that route myself!

I do enjoy my IDPA but regard it mostly as entertainment shooting, plus, good handling training re firearm use fluency - in other respects it lacks some real world elements - plus not wanting to get too hung up on various reload methods. Does help keep me more slick tho I think.

Otherwise, range time and self-imposed practice disciplines - which this year must concentrate more on moving and shooting, and shooting from retention etc.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i went for Multiples

VIP Member
    Multiples here too. I shoot IDPA regulary plus practice drills once a month plus I took and will take classes again with Randy Cain.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Multiples, need all the help I can get!!!

Lead Moderator
    range practice, set up my own senario shoots, force on force training. I try to do it all. Would like to get into IDPA, but no local shoots as of yet.

Multiples-I shoot USPSA every week from March-November. I also shoot 3 gun and shoot in the pasture.

Any good trigger time helps. The competition sports are entertainment-great fun.

Dave

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I've taken formal training with Jim Crews, Randy Cain and Gabe Suarez. And I'll be taking more with Gabe again and Louis Awerbuck. All of these were/are being offered in my geographic area and they all involve shooting while moving, shooting from holster, etc. Things we can't typically do on the "square range" at most gun clubs.

Problem with practice is that if I were to practice what I learned at any club that I was/am a member of, I'd be thrown out. I'm looking at where I can do this sort of practice (no sand pits in this are). Occasionally I join some friends at a Northeastern MA club where a few BOD members have special permission to allow us to practice these techniques in a small group and under their supervision.

I used to have access to a State ran firing range, and the range Lt. would allow for some "creative training." Since then ,I usually go out to my father's farm to play. Plenty of room to get creative.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    Generally went shooting on my own I like to shoot speed drills on steel plates and do some pure target work. Sometimes I mix in some defensive type shooting.

I do most of my true prep shooting during training time on the job.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

[QUOTE=P95Carry]Mike - added that for you - in fact had I not voted might have gone that route myself!

Thanks for the help Chris.

Up till a couple months ago, I primarily trained on targets alone,no real scenario. Now I'm starting to use the tree's and other objects to practice use of cover, and am going to add in some IDPA to help build some skills, and add a measure of ability to track my improvements through my COF times. I'm sure I'll also be able to pick up a lot by watching the others and how they handle themselves. I'd now be in the multiples column too.

Thanks everyone for your input.

My IDPA match was this past Saturday. I usually shoot a minimum of twice a month in idpa matches, not counting trips to the static range with CCW students, whom I thereafter encourage to join the club.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Here in NW WV and SW OH I can shoot in some kind of combat pistol match just about every weekend. Really enjoy and concentrate on IDPA. Also belong to two clubs where I can practice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links