DBNO Down but not out live fire drill video

This is a discussion on DBNO Down but not out live fire drill video within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is footage from our class in Miami. The student is pulled backwards to the deck, breaks the fall, rolls to the reaction side, draws ...

Thread: DBNO Down but not out live fire drill video

DBNO Down but not out live fire drill video

This is footage from our class in Miami. The student is pulled backwards to the deck, breaks the fall, rolls to the reaction side, draws the weapon and engages the threat while recovering to a standing position.

YouTube - Modern Combative Systems Pistol Miami

2. Remove Ads

Which one are you?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I like it! Good training! Recently went through supine shooting practice and recovery to standing as well....Couple questions in dealing with a scenario like that. I understand the need to draw and confront BG from the front, BUT what about the BG in the rear that pulled you down? I realize you can't fire in that direction when training, but how would you teach/practice reaction to the rear threat? Also, wouldn't a 360 scan be beneficial? Again..I like the practical application in this training and am only trying to learn and prepare.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

jfl
    The more you train in unusual positions the better chance you have to prevail. Very interesting.
    We practice shooting with a partner behind you shaking you ... not easy at first
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Nice drill. One question - any reason why the student advanced upon the target as he got up, or was it unintentional?

Let me try to answer the questions.

First I am not pictured in the drill.

The reason that he advanced on the target is because it was a live drill and he had a crowd behind him.

As far as reacting to the threat that is where open hand skills come in as well as break falls. Unless you know how to fall properly there is a very good chance that you would be severely injured from this fall. You would likely bust your butt which is both painful and sends a nice shock through your central nervous system. In addition to this is is the natural human reaction that when falling to the rear you put your arms out to try to regain your balance. Of course this would take your hands away from the weapons band. You need to deal with the fall first.

One of the things we teach is this particular throw to be used once you have moved to your attackers outside and then his rear. You grab him over the traps and yank him down in place...not backward. This is very hard to defend against. I will try to shoot some video of it. - George

George,

As always Top Notch!

You are teaching "Real World" Gun FIGHTING skills. I taught a basic class yesterday and we did the same things! (Great Instructors think alike)

We need to teach a class together. It is great to see how people react to this drill. I had 4 cops (1 SWAT) (1 Secret Service Agent) (2 Patrol) and (3 High Threat Contractors) and (6) CCW students in this class. I think they each learned something from this drill. They cops indicated that they had not done this drill since the academy.

I also love to have the students place their handgun on the ground at their feet pointing down range. Then have them tuck their strong hand behind their back, and then pick the gun up off the ground with the weak hand and fight and MOVE.

Tom

Tom, sent a PM, can't wait to hook up to help change some perspectives.- George

Good training? Next time put a Serta Matress down instead of a tarp.
    You do not think the 9mm is effective? Then let me shoot at you.

Sorry the load of broken glass showed up late and we just could not wait any longer. Guess the drill was too Micky Mouse for ya.- George

Links