Anybody play paintball?

This is a discussion on Anybody play paintball? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone use paintball for training in case you ever get caught in a real fight? I understand there are other things like airsoft but ...

Thread: Anybody play paintball?

Anybody play paintball?

Does anyone use paintball for training in case you ever get caught in a real fight? I understand there are other things like airsoft but paintball just seems more realistic.

I personally don't play a lot, but after thinking about it, paintball would be a great way to do live training.

Just a thought...

2. Remove Ads

I played for a while, for fun not training. I heard and later found out that former military can have a hard time with paintball since we by our training do certain things in a firefight where as Johnny 13 year old goes blazing through the woods with no method to his movement.

I would think airsoft would be a better way to train for an actual CCW deployment as the weight is very similar, as opposed to a gun with a CO2 canister and a hopper for the paint balls.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

+1 Paco.

I think airsoft is MUCH more realistic than paintball, if you are trying to simulate a real handgun fight. The guns are very similar to the real thing, and you can conceal an airsoft pistol IWB. Try THAT with a paintball gun and get back to me...

I have played both extensivly and even have helped different SWAT teams train using both and I believe that while both have their advantages paitball has been better preperation (been the contention for various SWAT members as well). While airsoft is better for scenario play/practice paintball seems to give better preperation for adrenalin and the effects of a "combative experiance" due to the higher pain level as well as the higher pace in which the games tend to be played.

Just my opinion...I have played semi-pro paintball and would call it a sport and for the most part airsoft is generally for those who want to play war/cop. Yes it is a bit opinionated but that has been my experiance.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Moderator
    I've done it and enjoyed it.

Do I consider it training? Not really. Can it improve your tactics? If used correctly.

The one thing that it will not teach is use of cover. Hiding behind a tree or a plywood wall works in paint ball but it would be almost worthless for the real thing.

Another thing, when capturing the flag, some will recklessly charge in groups knowing that they will get hit but taking that chance to win the game. Thats unrealistic in the real world where people don't get up and bullets don't stop.

As long as you understand that its NOT like the real thing.

Other than that, it can be a good way to spend a pretty day. It definitely beats laying on the couch.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I've always played paint ball, its nothing like the real thing. The weapons are far too inaccurate at range. I do agree with the above though. Paintball is better for the rush of the game and more realistic pain. You will learn not to stick that head up as those .55 caliber/350 FPS balls can leave quite a welt. I was always curious why no one has anything like our sim-rounds. For the uninformed they are standard low pressure cartridges but loaded with salt or paint in place of lead. The gun cycles just as it should and goes pop. I know its more expensive but the realism is worth it IMO. Also they hurt a bit more than paintball so most people don't rush objectives like in air soft.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

A whole different can of worms is MILES (Multiple Integrated Laser Engagement System) gear. I'll leave that for a different thread.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

One of the benifits to training with paintball, is that it can help get you out of the mindset that if your hit..your dead. And also if your running training scenarios, don't use the word dead..just casualty or something along those lines.

Links