IDPA..your thoughts/help

This is a discussion on IDPA..your thoughts/help within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (moderators if this is not the correct location feel free to repost in its applicable location) I have started the ball rolling with learning more ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA..your thoughts/help

Question IDPA..your thoughts/help

(moderators if this is not the correct location feel free to repost in its applicable location)

I have started the ball rolling with learning more about IDPA shooting.
    simple, but made a contact to the local facility.
    it seems like a great way to hone my shooting skills.

i've never done it but seems like i'd enjoy it.
    i have the guns...the time (potentially), the $$$, and the desire so whats stopping me
    i've never really shot in any 'organized' type of thing so this'd be a first for me at 40 yrs old.

i value all the knowledge and experience here so what are ya'alls thoughts on this sport? and the training i oughta realistically expect?
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Eric - I enjoy IDPA a lot but as we sometimes discuss I think we need to create a slight separation between it and total real world.

For me it helps hone speed shooting while trying for accuracy - it helps the draw - and keeps me fluent with my carry piece.

Hoever I do think one has to be careful not to become too inculcated with double taps only - and certain reload drills - ''tactical'' and retention etc - because we just might risk fighting a la IDPA and that would not always be ideal.

Take it as a good relaxation/recreational shoot - use it to become better overall but try not to let it make you too inflexible in other ways.

Try it out - enjoy I am sure you will.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I would like to shoot IDPA from a training standpoint. As Chris mentioned, as long as you don't get into a competition mindset too much it should be useful.

I agree. a mindset set in stone is not god.
    i think my weak points at this point would be reloading fast.
    i'm pretty accurate when shooting and moving and shooting "fast" but a quick reload slows me way down.
    practice i guess.

was real impressed at the vid that went around a while ago where the guy had a camera mounted on him and watching him shoot.
    gonna go watch the local place sunday and talk to some people..watch and learn.
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Unless you've got the bucks to blow on training, ammo and accomodations for GUNSITE or THUNDER RANCH, I think that IDPA is a good solution with certain caveats mentioned here. I think the most important aspect of idpa is not your score overall as an indicator of skill, but rather number of procedural violations in each course of fire. PLUS overall accuracy. I don't worry about speed because IMHO IDPA is slightly biased in favor of speed over accuracy in scoring. So you can shoot mediocre scores..... even scores that might cause problems in a street confrontation regarding innocent bystanders..... but if you're fast you tend to "win" in a match.

THAT'S my main complaint with idpa.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'll agree with the rest. Remember, with IDPA you will be given a course of fire and know where the "BGs" are. That very seldom (read NEVER) happens in the real world.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Cool Fast Reloads

Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY
    I agree. a mindset set in stone is not god.
    i think my weak points at this point would be reloading fast.
    i'm pretty accurate when shooting and moving and shooting "fast" but a quick reload slows me way down.
    practice i guess..
    Fast reloads are a matter of technique and practice. Try indexing your forefinger to the "front" of the top lip of your mag, then "feel" for the opening of the mag well without actually looking at the process. Practice with empty mags and you might be surprised at the improvement!

I learned something important in that when you do reload in a street confrontation, to retain control of the mag so you can top it off later on. Lot's of folks tend to drop their mags in matches, especially if they're at "slide lock," but what happens if the problem goes longer or covers a greater distance than you figured? I guess this attitude assumes that you'll have some way to top off your mags from a box. That does apply to me as I always have a spare box or more of ammo in my car...especially on out of town excursions. That's the wife's main job is to reload my mags while I tend to business....

I wouldn't want to leave my mags littering my path as they will tend to lead a BG right to me by following the breadcrumbs...so to speak.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    The same way that learning your ABC's does not make you a novelist, shooting IDPA will not make you a SWAT-black-nylon-ninja-swing-from-the-ropes-Operator but it will teach you the basic of Defensive pistol. I am still amazed at how many people will engage what is supposed to be armed targets without looking for available cover. If the first rule in a gunfight is to have a gun, the second is "Don't get shot!" IDPA stresses the use of cover when you shoot, threat assesment & engagement (Tactical Priority & Tactical Sequence), drawing from concealment, reloading while engage, Slicing the pie, etc.
    Again, it is nothing more than your shooting Dick and Jane but it is a very good starting point. And I have seen many LEO's, Military and others that have come with attitudes thinking "I have all the training that I need back at the Academy and I can whip anybody here" and leave very humbled when somebody with 6 month's shooting at the club cleans their clock. A lot never return but we have our share that stay and have used what they learned in real life.
    Also, it more likely give you the bug to, once you feel confortable, to go on to "advanced" schools and training and that is beacuse you will be amazed at how little you know and will want to improve your skills.

BTW Ex, did you mess with my trees last Saturday? Anybody shooting a branch was supposed to get a procedural!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Idpa

Any time you leave your comfort zone for practice, you will benefit. Consider IDPA as practice and a place to hone your skills, as well as a place to evaluate new and other techniques. The competeiters will not use their street gear, use what you carry and work from cover garmets until every act is automatic. Strive for the good hits, speed will follow as you participate longer. Try some runs with one hand, both weak and strong, mix up your efforts to simulate what you think YOU need to work on. I usually make two to six runs at matches where possible and after first, do things different, like sequence instead of priorority, heads only, one up and one com, strong and weak. Scores will suffer, but at least you have experienced drills not always available. Mainly enjoy and learn safely.

thanks all for the supportive ideas. good advice i believe for me.
    gonna start practicing the above info... after i reread all the posts...prolly a couple of times.
    practice and enjoyment...order may differ but thats the idea.
    i dont expect to become a mall ninja overniteand thanks for the encouragement to at least try it
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Sololucky,
    I don't have IDPA around here-I shoot USPSA. Both will help your shooting. Always keep in mind-if it has a scorecard, it's a game!
    Dave

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Definitely go ahead and try it! The S.O.'s in my group (that included Miggy) where very helpful and explained why shooting the course without procedural violations was tactically sound and had a couple of other good points. I expect it will speed up my reaction times and reloading skills as time goes by. Just like pinshooting has improved my accuracy.

It's also fun!

Wink Branching out....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy
    BTW Ex, did you mess with my trees last Saturday? Anybody shooting a branch was supposed to get a procedural!
    Hey,I have to admit, the tree problem had me.....stumped.

VIP Member
    Ex: Consider yourself luck we couldn't do the CoF as originally intended.

Solucky, like Airedale said, you gotta play and don't forget it is a game... then again Lion cubs play games that teach them to kill their prey later in life.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Two things that helped me A LOT when starting in IPSC were:
    1. Reading Brian Enos's book "Beyond Fundamentals"
    2. Matt Burkett's Videos

Once you get fast, go back and make all your hits A-zones. It's not tactics, but you can shoot most without developing bad habits. You will never be first this way, but you will be getting more out of it than the winner did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links