Draw practice

Draw practice

This is a discussion on Draw practice within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you all think that (20) rnd a week is good enough for draw practice, I draw & shoot twice CM with live fire & ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draw practice

Draw practice

Do you all think that (20) rnd a week is good enough for draw practice, I draw & shoot twice CM with live fire & draw at home /garage PS I even move side to side fireing Not bad 90% hits TIA H/D OH YEA Ammo reason on 20 rnd week I do a lot of point shooting with 22
    Last edited by hogdaddy; April 25th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You're doing more practice than probably 90% of the members here. The vast majority go to a square range and shoot paper and aren't even allowed to draw. Those guys get very good at hitting the X, but put them on the street when they need to deploy in a hurry and see what happens. I'd suggest doing most of your work with your cover garment on.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Don't need to shoot to practice a draw with your cover garments...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

[QUOTE=retsupt99;Don't need to shoot to practice a draw with your cover garments...:image035 / TRUE but have range (private) 5 miles down road nobodr there ever I also do so empty & I always were a cover shirt as mentioned by AZ Husker
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I do practice drawing about 15-20 minutes a week.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

GLOCK 23..........Beretta 96..........Mossberg 500A..........Winchester 30-30..........S&W M&P

I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Don't need to shoot to practice a draw with your cover garments...
    I agree. Dry firing works, and in front of a mirror is also good practice for the draw from concealment. I can do anything I want at the outdoor range usually since most of the time I'm the only one there.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Dry fire using snap caps. I do 25+ draws a night making certain I'm stepping right or left each time.

how can you simulate the adrenaline rush you'd get if a situation happened??? there is one thing with practicing your draw stroke but doing it under pressure is another... Thanks in advance...

The point is since you can't simulate the adrenaline rush, you practice so it's a matter of habit.
    Crime should be outlawed.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I practice my draw and fire once a week with snap caps, and a mag or two at the range. Sadly its squared off target shooting only, no moving. Then again my first responce to fire is seek cover, then draw.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by LOAF View Post
    how can you simulate the adrenaline rush you'd get if a situation happened??? there is one thing with practicing your draw stroke but doing it under pressure is another... Thanks in advance...
    Run up & down several flights of stairs as quickly as possible then...

What ya mean, you don't have anything like that? Well then; have a friend set up a staged robbery attempt with targets and props then, blindfold you and lead you to the stage. Crank up a radio with some loud noise and while you're there blindfolded maybe have him signal for you to remove the blindfold with a couple shotgun blast!
    Certified Glock Armorer

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    its all about muscle memory! if you do it enough you will be able to do it without even thinking about. i think muscle memory is the key! IMO
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by narcberry View Post
    The point is since you can't simulate the adrenaline rush, you practice so it's a matter of habit.
    That's exactly right. Performing a mechanical technique reflexively under stress begins with the ability to perform it reflexively without stress. That level of competence comes from repeated practice.

If you start by trying to do it under stress, you will not develop the technique in an efficient way. Your draw will be slower and more fumble prone than if you began with slow, methodical practice.

The #1 problem I see among defense-minded shooters at the range is a desire to do something fast that they cannot yet do properly slowly.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

how can you simulate the adrenaline rush you'd get if a situation happened???

Structured training under a competent, EXPERIENCED instructor is always Step One. There is more (much more) to a proper presentation than simply yanking the piece out and blasting away.

Locate, and participate in, some IDPA matches. Its the next best thing to being there; you are presented with a problem and must solve it, starting from the holster.

might be a dumb question - i use SmartCarry... can you use a SmartCarry with IDPA?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links