Dog attack practice?

This is a discussion on Dog attack practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I saw something on here a while back, but not in its own thread. Does anyone have a suggestion for simulating a dog ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog attack practice?

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Dog attack practice?

I think I saw something on here a while back, but not in its own thread. Does anyone have a suggestion for simulating a dog attack, specifically a simulation that one can train for on the range? I know there was mention of a milk jug being pulled...I'm just very fuzzy. Has anyone done this yet?

2. Remove Ads

I practice that in the driveway with a BB pistol. It is really simple. Use an empty milk jug for maximum bounce/difficulty. Have someone behind you pull the string to which said jug is attached. As soon as you see it move, draw and engage.
    Hope this helps!

About a year ago the Utah Polite Society did some practice using a rolling dog target.

You can read my writeup of the event here.

I don't remember who said it but get down on knee @ dogs level & you shoot alot better & it's the truth!!
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Hey hogdaddy, what about your signature? : )

Senior Moderator
    About a year ago the Utah Polite Society did some practice using a rolling dog target
    Thats a start I guess.

The only problem is that dogs are not that smooth. They run and they bound up and down, more like a pogo stick. The angle that you shoot at a running dog and the speed of the charge can make it very easy to shoot behind them.

If a dog charges you, you had better be very well versed on drawing your weapon and be able to do it without thought or you'll get bit.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Hey hogdaddy, what about your signature? : )
    WELL when I"M on one knee I'm not standing at all
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; April 26th, 2009 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

You have a point there, lol.

HotGuns, I agree. The dog will not be running as evenly as a rolling target.

In one course I took, they would bring up several targets at different spacings and different speeds...harder to hit.
    I'm not super fast, but I can hit the mark.

I figure that the dog is going to get close, but I have confidence in being able to hit the low moving target.

I may even have to take a 'bite', but the doggie is going down.
    I have yet to encounter a dog that was doing more than barking, growling, or a phoney charge...hope that never happens, I like dogs.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I figure that the dog is going to get close, but I have confidence in being able to hit the low moving target.
    Have you tried shooting a low moving target? It's surprisingly difficult, considerably harder than the human height rolling Tueller drill targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Have you tried shooting a low moving target? It's surprisingly difficult, considerably harder than the human height rolling Tueller drill targets.
    I have not shot IDPA, but this place accommodated this activity so the set-ups for various scenarios were there.
    The instructor had moving targets that could be pulled across the line of fire and next to the ground...YES, very difficult.

One never knows how well he/she will react in a split-second decision in an awkward angle of shooting while waist deep in 'alligators'...
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; April 25th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    I personally would not do that and possibly provide an attack dog with a potential shot at my face and throat.
    Especially since more than one dog may have been released.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I don't remember who said it but get down on knee @ dogs level & you shoot alot better & it's the truth!!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Bunny,
    I'd let you use Rufus if you practiced with a water gun.

Dogs bounce up and down but they're coming in a straight line, barring obstacles.Walter Payton they aint'
    Getting low is an excellent idea. Retsupt is right,you may take a bite anyway.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    You all go low if you want, but if you are willing to put yourself and your vital areas at their level, more power to you. As a professional in the animal field, going low with a charging dog is just not something I would advocate. I've seen 15/20 year cops who are marksman miss charging dogs as close as 10 feet and you want to go low. Good luck on that, you might get lucky once. For those who say the dog will go down no matter what, don't fool yourself, a 60lb dog and up that gets a hold and you think that your going to bring your gun into play, it's not that easy.

Best advice is put space and items between you and any stray and avoid them if possible, but a stick or pipe would be more effective then a gun (or baton, which I carry now) better chance for a strike.

Mind you now, some people have shot dogs and such, I've seen that happen also, it's more of a lucky on that side of it though.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I've already taken a bite, but it wasn't exactly an attack. However, the dog was shot and killed during the bite by an LEO standing by. Since I am working on tactical stuff now w/ my instructors, we were discussing a variety of scenarios and training. I definitely want to do some low-light work, and the usual...you know, one-handed (strong and support, each), while moving, w/ moving target, from different distances, etc. Have done some Tueller drills. Obviously not with real live ammo. But I was thinking about other scenarios we don't normally prepare for, and a dog attack may be one.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links