Defensive Carry banner

A trainers website...

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  QKShooter 
#1 ·
I was asked by a gal what it would take for her to get a gun and I recommended getting some training and seeing what she liked and then choosing from there.

She took my advice and signed up for a class with a trainer. When I asked her who she gave me the link to his website.

Upon going there the first thing that struck me was the stance and grip of his students in the pictures on the front page. Neither looked very good.

I want to tell her to look for another instructor but I'm not sure if I've being "fair."

Is it safe to judge an instructor by the pictures he puts on his website?

#2 ·
Howdy Mis Lima. :urla9ub:

You and the little button are looking good.

Now, with the formalities out of the way, I do not feel that any one or two pictures can do any training program, or trainer justice. I also think it's important for Trainers to pay attention to what they put on their website.

Take a look at some of the various "big name" trainers, and their sites. Some look like a 3 y/o with a Crayola designed it, while others are professionally done. I would reserve judgement if it were me and attempt to find out what this trainer's reputation is locally first. Maybe even take a class with them.

If nothing else, this newbie you are helping will get started with this trainer, and then take some more training from somebody else. If they have an open mind and are willing to adapt, they can combine some from each trainer and develop what works for them.

Another thing to think about, or consider, perhaps this trainer uses that photo to show one particular thing, but in reality it's showing something else.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker

#3 ·
If it were me, I wouldn't rush to judgment based on some pictures. If, on the other hand, the pictures were subtitled "Demonstrating Proper Stance", etc., then that's another thing.

#5 ·
Very true... like I said, if it were me, personally, I'd pass, but then again I'm not looking for a basic, beginner class. The pictures I would be looking for would be perfectly centered head shots of a BG holding a hostage at fifteen yards in flashing lights while the shooter is holding a child. ..lol

Then I'd be impressed (especially with the photographer for capturing such a shot).

#4 ·
BikerRN,
You just voiced my entire thought process!!

Like I said, it's hard to judge the book by the cover but if I had a website I'd try to depict some of my most successful students, their stances, grips, etc. After all, the newbies won't know the difference and the experienced people will look and say, "Hey, at least they got XYZ right."

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to check the guy out personally as this gal is in CT and I'm states and states away.

I have already encouraged her to take at least one other class as no matter how good (or bad) of an instructor you have you will always learn something new from another class and person and take the good and leave the bad.

Hmmmm... It's just that if I were looking to further my training and I saw improper grip and stance on an instructor's website I would pass.

#6 ·
Lima,

PM me with the name of the Instructor. There is one in that area that I'm somewhat familiar with, but I too am states and states away.

Biker

#7 ·
Lima,

Could you post the pics as rehosted (Imageshack) so that we can see what you saw?

Myself I would look at these pics and as within context per what text information if any is provided t the site I too would have at the minimum an impression if not be able to make judgement.
Anyone be it firearm instructors or what ever their business might be should view their website same as they do their face. It's the first thing people see and if you don't clean it up then well regardless of who you are folks view and impression may not be what you are all about or intend to portray.

To my mind a classic example of this to the negative is the website for Novak Sights, which long has been terrible in design and content on the whole...even as they are a leader in their industry.
Compare them to their competition such as Dawson Precision and the excellent examples of Meprolight and Trijicon.
If a customer had no further knowledge of any of these four companies within their specific industry, which do you think would see the least results in site click throughs and more importantly real sales leads per their website.

- Janq is in specialized product and services marketing

P.S. - Add me to your PM list as I'm in MA and train throughout MA and CT.

#8 ·
It may not be fair to judge the instructor by the photos. He may have been doing a before and after kind of thing. Sometimes I'll tell a student "show me your grip and stance" and then let's fire X amount of rounds". Then I'll change what's wrong and fire X amount again to show them the difference.

As far as websites go, its hit or miss. We have a website that I am not thrilled with. Its functional, but its not anywhere near where I want it to be. With that said, I have a web designer working on it but these things take time and the actual running of the business is my first priority.

#9 ·
As an instructor who post lots of videos and pictures I have to say that I get to pick and choose what goes on my site. I usually get others input. Right now I have a private student who is a professional photographer and during one class he took about 500 pictures. If you are only putting up a few pictures you need to be more critical than if you are posting a lot of them. Does not help the fact that I have a face for radio.-George

#10 ·
If the pictures posted on the training site are questionable as to grip, stance, etc., AND if I were advising the prospective student and was aware of this, I think it would potentially raise a "red flag". With that being said, perhaps there are testimonials on the site to check "after action" opinions of previous students.. How about asking for references of previous students, telephone numbers, and call them to ask about the instruction/training they received? What are the "training qualifications" posted by this trainer on his or her site? I just think you can take it up a couple of more levels to try and determine if this is the "best qualified" for the training one desires. I think with just a little "Sherlock Holmes" investigation, you can find out more than enough information to determine whether or not your choice is wise. JMHO

#11 ·
Your friend is on the right track:

1. She's interested in learning about guns.
2. She took the initiative and signed up for a class.

However, I would encourage her to take a private class with an NRA certified instructor. She would get more one-on-one attention, which she wouldn't get in a large class setting.

Not only would she learn proper grip, stance, safety, etc., but the instructor could show her how to field strip and clean the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.