OMG! Is this for real?

OMG! Is this for real?

This is a discussion on OMG! Is this for real? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; WOW........ Has anyone else seen this? I really cant believe that the state is allowing a person to complete a online course without showing anytype ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG! Is this for real?

Thumbs down OMG! Is this for real?

WOW........ Has anyone else seen this? I really cant believe that the state is allowing a person to complete a online course without showing anytype of proficiency and get their CHP. I wrote this on another site as well but I cant wait to read about one of these graduates when they show up in court for a firearm related incident......

Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class - The Concealed Carry Institute

Concealed Handgun Permit Firearms Safety Class
    The Concealed Carry Institute
    FINALLY! A fact-filled Firearms Safety Class that meets the requirements of Virginia law to qualify you for obtaining a Resident or Non-Resident Concealed Handgun Permit. Unlike other classes, this one is taught in one session over the Internet. It is now possible to learn firearms safety from the comfort of your home or office, in just over an hour.
    This class consists of watching a one hour presentation of our time-tested instruction through streaming video. Following that, you are tested on what you have learned with a 20 question True/False, Multiple Choice and Fill-In-The-Blank test. All that is necessary to take this fast-paced class is your willingness to devote an hour to learn, a computer with Internet connection, and a printer. It’s that simple! After the successful completion of the test, you will be prompted to print your Certificate of Completion.
    With a copy of your certificate and an application (available on this website) in hand, you are ready to head to your local circuit court clerk’s office to formally apply for your Resident Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit! Click here to obtain a Non-Resident permit application packet from the Virginia State Police website.
    Important Notice: We are pleased to announce that on April 8, 2009, the General Asembly of Virginia formally recognized online safety training as the law of the Commonwealth. Overriding the Governor's veto by 28-10 in the Senate and by 73-23 in the House of Delegates, Senate Bill 1528 becomes law effective July 1, 2009. We will be contacting the circuit courts of Albemarle and Pittsylvania Counties and the Cities of Danville, Newport News and Suffolk to encourage them to accept our certificates prior to July 1st. For residents of those communities, please check back here for updates; and thank you for your patience and understanding.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Jay Leno did some jokes last night by showing an ad for college classes that were available online. Jogging, Weightlifting, Yoga... ect..

whew that made me tired just typing it "online".

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    Why should I have to submit to class or test to exercise my 2nd Amendment right?

What is the big deal?

As Elk Hunter said, why should there be ANY testing or licencing requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Elk Hunter View Post
    Why should I have to submit to class or test to exercise my 2nd Amendment right?
    +1 There is no testing in Mississippi and we don't have a problem.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yikes, I don't know, I just think if you're going to get a CC permit, at the very least you ought to be able to demonstrate 1) basic knowledge of the laws and 2) some proficiency when actually shooting a gun.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I guess the can is open, but I wasnt refering to any kind of "testing". But a proficiency demonstration would be great.... and if your not proficient then a bit of training would be in order. I'm 2A +++ but definately dont believe that a "online" course should fufill an existing requirement. If your going to do anything then just eliminate the requirement altogether and it would create less of an issue.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    a good shoot is a good shoot and a bad shoot is a bad one whether you've had a class and a test or not. I was around guns all my life and could carry safely without going to 8hrs of a CCW class. Anyone serious about carrying every day is going to have the profeciancy anyway, no CCW class is going to give it to them.

You don't need a profeciancy class to go target shoot and most states don't require any testing for Open Carry. The class and test were just a feel good method to make the nervious 'law makers' look better in front of their constituents when voting for Shall Issue.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Tinkerin' -- no, not a class, I was just saying somehow you should be able to demo that you have basic knowledge of the laws you would be bound by to CCW, and that you should have basic proficiency in being able to shoot. I think it would help avoid any accidental/negligent discharge and other awful possibilities. But as to HOW you would do that or WHO makes the standards, I have no idea.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

I'm not so sure this is a great idea. I don't see how this can replace hands-on training from a qualified instructor.

In NY State, all CCW applicants are encouraged to take a 3 hour "introductory" course. I believe in some NY State counties it's mandatory.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Elk Hunter's Avatar
    The Constitution of the United States sets the standard.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There is nothing about if they can pass a test.

Please do not fall into the test or proficiency trap, I will set the standard high enough so I can pass and you cannot. Give me your guns now! I trust me but not you who gets to choose?

Semper Fi

Then it no longer is a "Right"....

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Yikes, I don't know, I just think if you're going to get a CC permit, at the very least you ought to be able to demonstrate 1) basic knowledge of the laws and 2) some proficiency when actually shooting a gun.

But that's just my opinion. YMMV.
    Then it no longer is a “Right” is it? What the state giveth the state can taketh away. While I highly recommend taking a class and learning as much as you can I don’t think it should be mandatory. I had a 70+ year old woman for a student once. She carries a little Beretta .22. Not much of a gun for self-defense but it is all she can handle. She passed our shooting requirement but if she hadn’t does that mean she doesn’t have a right to protect herself? I don’t think so.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Does it say...

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms?

or...

The Right to Keep and Bear Arms, if your proficient?

Stay armed...it's a right, proficiency has nothing to do with it...stay armed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In Va you can open carry with no training at all. I am conflicted in that I think training is essential, but I do not think it should override ones ability to protect onesself, concealed or otherwise.

Yeah...no...

*sigh*

Of course, you guys are correct. But I keep thinking about those folks that killed that little boy, or the morons who have AD/ND and hurt or kill people because they're being stupid and unsafe. They get the same rights as those of us who are responsible, and...here's my take on it: Knowing YOU guys are out there, carrying, I feel safe and relieved. Knowing people like THAT are out there, carrying, is like knowing the BGs are out there, carrying. It's a bit unsettling.

Of course, I don't claim to sit in the judgement seat, I wouldn't want that responsibility if it was offered. But it just seems like an online course is a poor barometer of whether or not someone is really prepared for the responsibility.

Of course, then again, who's to say what "prepared" mens, exactly, or how to gauge that as well?

Ok, I think I'm over my head here. Never mind. I think I'm only going to sound dumber and dumberer... :(

Edit: Just to add: I'm still VERY new to all of this. Bear in mind I still can't even legally OWN let alone carry at this point, so you know, take everything I say with the fact that I'm still kind of naive please :)

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)

www.vanguardnc.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links