Sequence of drills for effective CCW

This is a discussion on Sequence of drills for effective CCW within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AFTER all safety drill have been accomplished!!!! Breaking down the scenarios that face a CCW holder who is under attack I see patterns of behavior ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequence of drills for effective CCW

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Sequence of drills for effective CCW

AFTER all safety drill have been accomplished!!!!

Breaking down the scenarios that face a CCW holder who is under attack I see patterns of behavior that Pincus, Ayoob, and others have understood for qquite a while.
    Many of us worry about the proper stance, hold, etc. And, of course these are of great importance but a violent encounter is likely to be very close.

1. I teach Ayoob's crush grip. My own experience is that fine motor skills disappear rather quickly in a very quick adrenellian rush which we are in when something jumps out in the night. The thghter the hold you have the better off you are.
    2. Pincus is correct to teach a shove or strike back to give yourself some retreat space if you can.
    3. Rock Back Drill, This is very important, close presentation keeping the handgun in tight as you rock back to clear the holster and fire from a eyeball distance. Do over and over and over.
    4. Bill Drill, Again close, but not as close.
    5. Mozambique Drill. Close multiple assailants.

When the basic drills are mastered (physical skills) then add MOVEMENT.

I think of my nephew, who is in prison for 52 car jackings from the Tucson Mall in a 2 year period of time. No one sucessfully got away from him because NO one resisted.
    He was finally arrested for killing another thug in Tucson. Since then he has gone over with me exactly what he would look for in a victim and how easilly someone could have fought back.

2. Remove Ads

Since then he has gone over with me exactly what he would look for in a victim and how easilly someone could have fought back
    Do share please.

----------------------------------------

Regarding drills, I used to follow the Modern Technique of utilizing fine motor skills after 10,000 hours of muscle memory training. Been to Paulden.

Reminded me too much of my golf lessons - I no longer golf nor use the Modern Technique.

Fairbanks / Applegate / Suarez / Janich is what I decided on for private citizen self defense with a a handgun.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Yes, please share his insight from the other side...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Please reiterate what your nephew has told you --- I believe that would be some very good info to share w/ the forum.

I'll have some time tomorrow to do that. I did share with Mas and students at LFI. It is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I'll have some time tomorrow to do that. I did share with Mas and students at LFI. It is interesting.
    Hey threefeathers...

We've been waiting...don't keep us in suspense!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A little background because we can all learn from this.
    My brother and SIL made a crutial mistake raising a son. The son was a star athlete in Pop Warner and Youth wrestling. He stared in Jr. High. He got to High School and my SIL (who is a real whacko) listened to her sister who is a nurse about injuries in athletics and she refused to allow her son to participate in athletics. The kid lost ALL machoness with his peers. He did find a young Mexican illigal immigrant girl and he started running around with her brother who was in one of the many Messican gangs in Tucson. By the time he was a Junior he had 8 credits and dropped out. He and the girl eloped, he joined the adult bangers and had some reeeely interesting tatoos.
    He was assigned to jack cars while his 'wife' and her family worked for a 'chop'shop in South Tucson. They had a child who they gave up to another niece who did well in school.
    During this time he 'jacked' at least 52 cars, mostly from the Tucson Mall, some from restaurants that serve liquor because he knew no one wold be armed.

My nephew made an effort to change and came in from the cold, he asked me to sponser him to join the Army. I took him to a recruiter who had gone through much of the same thing as a youth. He was getting his gang tatoos taken off when he met a stripper from T D's West.

Three slime from Missouri saw him and the girl and decided to reverse the situation, they wanted to rape the girl and 'jack' her Camaro.
    They talked my nephew into going outside to look at their 'choppers' and pulled a gun on him. They got him to get into the drivers seat, with the girl in the back and took them west, toward Old Tucson. They didn't realize he had a Ruger .22 under the seat, and the Camaro was really crowded.
    They decided to stop and do away with him and ordered him to stop.
    He slammed the brakes on and almost wrecked, the girl started fighting the ones who were pulling her pants off.
    My nephew opened the door, gun in hand and put a bullet into the belly of the guy in the suicide seat.
    Neither of the guys in the back seat had been holding their weapons once they began raping the girl and he shot both of them.
    He grabbed the girl and all three of the B G's made it out the other door.
    One of them colapsed and sat on the side of the road, the other's ran.
    My nephew did not give chase and he never saw those two again. He sat and watched the other fellow die.
    He and the girl fled to Dallas where he called me and I talked him into turning himself in which he did.
    I bting this up only to show that this kid had become a cold blooded bad ass.

We've had many talks and he is been in Isolation the last 6 years. But writes often.
    So what did he look for that allowed him to get away with at least 52 jackings?

1. He wore a simple outfit that always blended in whth his surroundings.
    2. He covered his tatoos.
    3. He smiled a lot and acted like he was a typical High School student athlete.
    4. He helped old ladies that his victim could watch and that would put them at ease.

He did all of this while establishing a non-threatning presence.
    Then he looked ofr.
    1. Arguing couples. "Uncle T F they don't know what hit them."
    2. Someone not with the 'right' person, he could spot someone having an affair and they were the next lambs.
    3. Old people alone, especially women in a hurry, he never had to hurt them, they gave him the keys and would say things like/"Ill pray for you."
    4. Someone on a Cell Phone. again. They don't even see you coming."

Next, the Tucson Mall is right on I-10 and South Tucson is 15 minutes away. He could jack, get on the freeway, have the car in a shop, and be back at the Mall in a different shirt and slacks in 45 minutes, often shopping with the money he had just stolen or been paid.

So the lessons learned, Never, never put yourself in a situation to look like a sheep. Never allow your wife or parent to go to a Mall late, and never be speaking into your cell.

Thanks for the info. His practice of targeting those who were "task fixated" should definitely serve as a reminder to all of us to avoid that type of behavior and stay alert.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, and if you're jumped by someone like my nephew
    Punch, Rock and Draw, shoot.
    Read Combat Handgunner for the correct physical description of the technique. If you fall on your petitootie, well

Thanks for the valuable info. Too may times we get complacent in our surroundings and that's when things happen. I try telling the wife that all the time. She gets tunnel vision and that's when things can happen real fast. Again thank you.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Yes, and if you're jumped by someone like my nephew
    Punch, Rock and Draw, shoot.
    Read Combat Handgunner for the correct physical description of the technique. If you fall on your petitootie, well

Just to be clear...when you say "rock back," are you talking about leaning back similar to what we see in the pictures here? The "Speed rock?"

If so, I would say that falling on your butt is probably the most likely occurrence if you're doing this against someone who is actually attacking with any forward drive. Leaning back like that leaves you with no way to manage impact and exposes your entire centerline to your attacker. You also have no leverage or "base" to defend from if you need to fend off an attack.
    There are methods for shooting at extreme close range that do a much better job of both managing impact, and protecting you against incoming blows.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Mr. Threefeathers,

As you know, I've been around various felonious individuals a time or two. It sounds like he was pretty good at "reading" people. That is a survival skill that the beginning street thug develops in to a finely tuned machine.

Being task fixated is a detriment, as previously noted. One thing I would add, self confidence goes a long way. Head up, eyes alert and scanning and walking with a purpose all seem to help prevent being a victim. I'm not talking about a swagger and being "Billy Badboy" here, but assurance and the ability to project that assurance without imposing on others.

Watch a "typical" woman walk down the sidewalk. She will look down at the ground averting her eyes and sometimes even lower her head in an attempt to avoid trouble. This shows a lack of self confidence that any predator like your nephew can smell.

Now watch a "typical "Alpha" male" walk down the same street. The shoulders are erect, the gaze is direct and he confronts people head up. He can have a smile on his lips and kind words on his lips, but he may have death in his hands and walking with a purpose.

We can't pick our family, but we can pick our friends. He picked his, and I've picked mine. Take care and stay safe,

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; May 20th, 2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: typo

Threefeathers, thank you for sharing this. One of the first things that I learned as a Correctional Officer was how well inmates could read people. Both on the outside and inside, they are looking for an easy target.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Punch, Rock, Draw Fire is the perfect technique to have a ghost of a chance to take on someone like my nephew.

This can be done very quickly and you can move to a better position fast. Again, this drill is used only when you have to present your handgun close and immediately. Try it, you are not as off balance as your thing, Use the Shotokan technique of tucking your butt and you will have good balance.
    Regardless, this technique is doen to save your life in a fst sitution, if you are alive in 1 second after the attack commences you can move quickly to a better position.

That is exactly why I feel the Bill Drill sould be part of your Drill package followed by the Mozambique.

From these put a multiple package together, hopefully they help you get to a carbine or shotgun which will be a real force multiplier.

One of the reasons I want to train with Brownie this year is to see how he reacts to this kind of situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links