AFTER all safety drill have been accomplished!!!!
Breaking down the scenarios that face a CCW holder who is under attack I see patterns of behavior that Pincus, Ayoob, and others have understood for qquite a while.
Many of us worry about the proper stance, hold, etc. And, of course these are of great importance but a violent encounter is likely to be very close.
1. I teach Ayoob's crush grip. My own experience is that fine motor skills disappear rather quickly in a very quick adrenellian rush which we are in when something jumps out in the night. The thghter the hold you have the better off you are.
2. Pincus is correct to teach a shove or strike back to give yourself some retreat space if you can.
3. Rock Back Drill, This is very important, close presentation keeping the handgun in tight as you rock back to clear the holster and fire from a eyeball distance. Do over and over and over.
4. Bill Drill, Again close, but not as close.
5. Mozambique Drill. Close multiple assailants.
When the basic drills are mastered (physical skills) then add MOVEMENT.
I think of my nephew, who is in prison for 52 car jackings from the Tucson Mall in a 2 year period of time. No one sucessfully got away from him because NO one resisted.
He was finally arrested for killing another thug in Tucson. Since then he has gone over with me exactly what he would look for in a victim and how easilly someone could have fought back.