Defensive Carry banner

Bad: Man Shoots Himself in Head While Trying to Teach Gun Safety (Merged)

6K views 64 replies 61 participants last post by  Mongoose 
#1 ·
I know I don't have to remind to many people here of this little saying, "every gun is always loaded, even if you are sure it is empty" and "Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot."

Phoenix man killed in gun-safety demo | www.azstarnet.com ®

A 26-year-old Phoenix man accidentally killed himself early Sunday while explaining gun safety to two Sierra Vista residents.
Samuel Benally Jr. was at an apartment on West Tacoma Street when he said guns should be kept unloaded because people could point them at their heads, said Sierra Vista police Sgt. Brett Mitchell.
Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said.
Benally was flown to University Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Mitchell said.
An investigation is ongoing, but police do not believe alcohol or drugs were involved, Mitchell said.

#4 ·
He was demonstrating safety by pointing the 9mm at his head and pulling the trigger?:confused:
Supper dumb or more to story & needs investigation.:hand1:
Sad:frown:

#46 ·
#6 ·
The first things that come to my mind are probably a bit insenstive considering the guy lost his life. So I guess I'll just echo what previous posters have said;

Sad

#15 ·
Benally then demonstrated by putting his own 9mm Ruger, which he believed to be unloaded, to his head and firing it, Mitchell said.
Like others, sad, but.....

NEVER assume the firearm is unloaded, ever.

Under NO circumstances, point it at your own head and pull the trigger.(unless you are suicidal and intend to kill yourself anyhow)

Sadly, this guy didn't heed any of the safety advice and this is the price paid for such actions.

#16 ·
I wonder if he thought it had a magazine disconnect safety or maybe he ejected the round from the chamber before removing the magazine. Either way following the rules would have prevented this. When teaching, teach by example and make sure everyone knows the four rules.

#30 ·
I was just thinking the same thing.
A safety lesson that will never be forgotten. Very sad.

#22 ·
I'm trying to feel bad about this.......but I have to admit, it's a struggle. A large part of me simply sees it as a bit of chlorine in the 'ole gene pool.

#48 ·
That’s what I was thinking. Survival of the NOT COMPLETELY STUPID.
I think this ended better then that instructor that shot a student in the face a couple weeks ago. At least it was the person that was dumb that got shot not an innocent bystander.

#47 ·
this guy was not qualified to teach gun safety to others
:frown:
I respectfully disagree. I guarantee that this method of training will be VERY effective to the trainees.

#26 ·
Wow...talk about irony.
I hope that he died before he had time to think of how stupid this was, hopefully he died without knowing what an all-time dumb move he made.

#27 ·
I feel sad for his family. What a horrible way to lose someone. (There's never an easy way though, is there?)

That said, WHAT IS IT ABOUT THOSE PLASTIC/RUBBER GUNS that it seems no one wants to use when demonstrating safety in a class-type situation? Argh!!!!! This was SO preventable, it's scary!

*ahem*
Not to mention your basic 4 rules. Duh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.