Instructor in Memphis

Instructor in Memphis

This is a discussion on Instructor in Memphis within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My m.i.l went to the range with us last week and fell in love with shooting. shot my wife's s&w 638 to snappy for her ...

Thread: Instructor in Memphis

Instructor in Memphis

My m.i.l went to the range with us last week and fell in love with shooting. shot my wife's s&w 638 to snappy for her shot my pt145 pro (my bad had to do it) way to large. But she put 200 rounds through our Thunder .380 and loved it. Trouble is she is 68 and a very petite woman and really can't handle racking the slide although she does shoot VERY well. She wants a defense gun in house that she is comfy with it but needs to try a few more. Do any of you good folks know of a good instructor in Memphis that can give her the patience to find her HDW.

When it comes to a home defense gun, the shotgun should always be the first to be reached for. But, if a pistol is the closest thing, I would teach her the multiple ways to charge a bottom feeder.

I took a friend of mine to the range a few weeks ago, and he brought his wife. I showed her that holding the gun and racking the slide is not the only option to charging the weapon. The most suitable for women with small hands, arthritis, or just not strong enough to rack the slide of a small frame pistol seems to be (at least when I'm taking them shooting) the method that has them hold the slide, and push the frame forward.

Hope this helps.
    Dave
    Springfield XD .40 Service
    Para Ord Hawg 9
    Kahr CW9
    S&W 22A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBMq...eature=related

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    The Best in Western Tn are at Rangemaster on S. Mendenhall.
    RANGEMASTER - Proven techniques, tactics, and thinking for the real world.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I would recommend taking her to see Jay at Classic Arms.

Classic Arms Of Memphis

1740 N Germantown Pkwy # 13
    Cordova, TN 38016
    (901) 757-4605

After that Range USA.

Range USA > Home ( DNN 3.1.1 )

2770 Whitten Rd
    Memphis, TN 38133
    (901) 213-4774

She actually lives in G-town would be nice if I could give her a name of someone to talk to needless to say she is an old school southern charm "I can't just walk in there and ask someone" if ya get my drift.

my bad Jay will pass that along

Defensor tried that route but no go she is stuck on a handgun which I am pretty cool with cause it is the 1st step to get her to carry and we all know Shelby county is 1 of the worst crime rates in the country.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    The Best in Western Tn
    Remember, it's not "western Tennessee," it is West Tennessee.

Range USA on Whitten Road has a lot of training opportunites. Range USA > Home ( DNN 3.1.1 )
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Congratulations on a bonus m.i.l.! I hope that she finds the instruction that helps. I admit that racking my semi-auto takes concentrating on pulling the gun close and using opposing action of pushing the slide one way and the frame the other. (I like to shoot .45 +P). It isn't just little ole m.i.l.'s that need help. Again, good for you.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I was born (56)& grew up in(60's)in Memphis Tn. It was bad then but not like it is now.One of my favorite shows is 1st 48 Cop show & they feature Memphis Homicide on there alot. I was shocked to see the level of violance? there now.
    WE lived next to Elvis' Circle G Ranch there & could shot your guns out there in the "COUNTRY"......... way back THEN! :)
    Take care & stay Safe..........................BoogeyMan
    If the enemy is within range,so are you!

Thanks for the help guys I think she called Jay today. BoogyMan it is just terrible I lived there for 4 years when I met my wife in '94 we lived right off of Mt. Moriah in an apartment and loved it. There is know way in hell I would get out of my car and go anywhere in that part of town these days without carrying we have been back in E. Tn. for 10 years now i guess. She lives in Germantown and you would think it would be safe not a chance Shelby Co. as a whole scares the crap out of me.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Remember, it's not "western Tennessee," it is West Tennessee.

Range USA on Whitten Road has a lot of training opportunites. Range USA > Home ( DNN 3.1.1 )
    Do I detect a little sarcasm?
    I guess I've been living in South Carolina too long.

I grew up there (30yr reunion coming up); I used to shoot at Rangemaster regularly (Only a mile from home). They have excellent instructors that understand "Real World" defensive tactics I've also spent considerable time at the penal farm range.

Most "white" people don't have the stones to go to that part of town (especially after dark).

My mom has been living in that area since 1971. From then until now, we've experienced SIX burglaries and TWO home invasions. (ALL prior to the neighborhood going downhill)

The last burlary was over 15yrs ago; and the last home invasion happened in the Mid-1970's when I was about 14 and home alone. (Thank you "Mr. Winchester" for my 410.)

(If you live your life in fear, you will live a short life.)

PS; I think I'll visit Range USA next trip.

Sponsored Links