Diagnose my shooting

Diagnose my shooting

This is a discussion on Diagnose my shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from the range. I had a great time. 1.3 hours of range time, 50 .22 rounds, 50 .38 specials, and 2 ...

Thread: Diagnose my shooting

Diagnose my shooting

I just got back from the range. I had a great time. 1.3 hours of range time, 50 .22 rounds, 50 .38 specials, and 2 rental guns came to a total of 46.50 USD. Anyway all of my targets had a list of the left. I was using two very different guns both of which I had no experience with. The ranges varied from 30 to 50 ft. Here are the pictures. The quality on some of the photos are poor I only had my cell at the range. BTW .380 is IMPOSSIBLE to buy/find unless you pay 55+ a box.

Weapons used .38 Special Undercover

22 Ruger Target pistol

Target results .38 Special Undercover
    35 rounds COM 10 in stomach radid fire, 5 head shots

Results .22 Ruger
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Try this. It is helpful, IMO.
    Attached Images
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

So then more trigger finger would help?
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

I think its more of a sight picture issue. Make sure there is equal light on both sides of the post. I used shoot a wee to the left, too. To practice, take aim at a white wall with your normal about-to-shoot grip and get a good pic on the front sight, then stop and back up the focus and see if it's really centered between the rear sight bars. Good luck.

Not too shabby, I've seen much worse (like not even on paper).

One handed, two handed, stance, strong hand grip, support hand pressure, arms locked or bent, finger overlap, thumb position, breathing, caffeine consumption, mechanical sights centered and even, your sight picture and alignment, follow through etc...

It really is an art to diagnose a shooter's problems and correct it. Find yourself a quality instructor who knows shooter and target diagnostics.

One way to hone in is to get yourself off the big targets and onto paper dinner plates and start in at 5 yards and work your way out to distance all the while keeping shots on the plates. As you progress, use multiple plates, go for speed and accuracy and then reduce the plate size.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I was going to say that the trigger finger is the culprit too. If you're right handed you could be pressing the trigger at an angle on it's right edge rather than straight back. Review your technique to see if you are pulling straight back on the trigger.

Thanks guys I'll use smaller targets next time, and have a look at my trigger length and get with you. I'll be back to that range next week. Hopefully they will have .380 then so I can use my EDC.
    -Hybridz.org

Personally, I don't think the diagnostic targets are particularly useful. They can't watch what you're doing and thus can only tell you some of the possible problems. In many cases, they send shooters off trying to fix non-existent problems rather than addressing the actual bad habit which is causing the bad hits.

First steps to achieving better trigger control:
    1. Make sure you are pulling the trigger properly. Clear your gun, check that it's empty, check again, and then perform the Wall Drill. Once you can press the trigger without the front sight moving out of alignment, go to the next step.
    2. Try the Ball & Dummy Drill to see if you are anticipating your shots. Once you are pulling the trigger without anticipating (no motion of the gun when you reach a dummy round), move on to the next drill.
    3. Work on marksmanship fundamentals by slowly increasing the level of difficulty, such as with the 3x5 Card Drill.
    Train Hard, Stay Safe!
    Todd Louis Green
    pistol-training.com

I did the same thing recently after shooting right on target for the last 6 weeks.
    My error was finger. not pulling straight back. what was sugestedto me..
    unload gun. check to be sure it is unloaded. then check again. aim at a clear back stop white wall. slowly pull the trigger. keep praticing that untell the sites do not move. this is dry fire pratice, it should do like as your smaller plates for when your not at the range.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

You may want to try some of the stick-on "Shoot-N-C" targets. You can take them and stick them (they are self adhesive) on the center-mass area of your B21-E targets. Gives you a smaller area to concentrate your fire on without giving up the life-size background.
    " In theory, reality and theory are the same. In reality, they are not."

GLOCK G23, KAHR CW9, RUGER LCP, TAURUS PT92, TAURUS 689, MOSSY 500

NRA member

Looks like your range sets you up. All of that would have cost me $120+ and that's only 1 hour of range time.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    take a look at this Massad Ayoob article it says it all:

How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

here is a list of all of them:

Index of free, online articles published in Backwood Home Magazine

Mixing live rounds and snap caps will show you if you flinch. Dry fire helps a lot. Experiment with the location of your trigger finger. Work hard to maintain correct eye focus and sight alignment. Learn what "isomeric tension" is.

Start at 7 yards and go slow. When you can shoot 2 inches groups all day, move to 10 yards...15...25. It takes time and practice.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Are you right-handed or left-handed? Those diagnostic targets listed above are great tools, but I think the ones in this thread are right-handed. If you need the left-handed ones, you can look here: http://vanguardnc.com/Links.htm

Scroll down to "Downloads," they have lefties and righties there.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    take a look at this Massad Ayoob article it says it all:

How to shoot a handgun accurately by Massad Ayoob Issue #85

here is a list of all of them:

Index of free, online articles published in Backwood Home Magazine

Mixing live rounds and snap caps will show you if you flinch. Dry fire helps a lot. Experiment with the location of your trigger finger. Work hard to maintain correct eye focus and sight alignment. Learn what "isomeric tension" is.

Start at 7 yards and go slow. When you can shoot 2 inches groups all day, move to 10 yards...15...25. It takes time and practice.

Excellent reference! I've been struggling with the same problem with 2 .38s and a .357. Thanks for the link.

Sponsored Links