Poor man's shoot-on-the-move simulator

This is a discussion on Poor man's shoot-on-the-move simulator within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was going to post this on my "shooting on the move thread", but that has degenerated into a debate about what the definition of ...

Thread: Poor man's shoot-on-the-move simulator

Poor man's shoot-on-the-move simulator

I was going to post this on my "shooting on the move thread", but that has degenerated into a debate about what the definition of "the X" is.

In any case...I have the old original Nintendo video game "Duck Hunt." I practiced hitting those ducks while "Groucho walking" and then sprinting across my living room. I practiced using the sights, and point shooting. I practiced one handed, and two handed...The game gives you 3 shots per duck, and I used rapid fire until the target was down, or I was out of ammo (a miss).

The interesting result was that, at a distance of 2-7 feet, at a rapidly moving and very small target, I was consistently getting a 80-100% hit ratio, regardless of technique. (If you're wondering, I got to level 16 and a score of about 250,000)

Of course, the light gun used in the game has no recoil, but it is still a useful, safe, and cheap training tool, IMHO. It is also a bit of a workout!

So, at these up close and personal distances, it would seem accurate hits are possible even while moving out at a pretty good pace.

Next time, I will try this while holding my ballistic panel-equipped briefcase as a "shield" and see what the results are.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Wonder how well you could do if the ducks could shoot back.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Duck Hunt!

Now that takes me back. I never thought of it as a tactical training tool though. Laser Tag, maybe, but not Duck Hunt.

While it's not quite as retro as Duck Hunt, another option is to do some dry fire practice on the move. If you've got a laser on your gun, it can do a pretty good job of showing how well you're holding on target while moving at different speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    The interesting result was that, at a distance of 2-7 feet, at a rapidly moving and very small target, I was consistently getting a 80-100% hit ratio, regardless of technique.
    You may be doing this already, but one important thing to keep in mind at these distances is to limit how far you extend the gun. You don't want to hand it to the BG.

OK...tried my "simulator" this morning while holding my ballistic panel-equipped briefcase (actually a laptop bag) in front of me.

First, that bag is heavy! Would not want to use it in a protracted, shoot and move scenario - but that's not its purpose. For a reactive street encounter, holding it in front of your chest effectively protects all your vitals except for the head. Holding it with my hand's palm facing me (like lifting a dumbbell) was much easier that holding it palm-out, so it is best to twist it around while going from walking with it to holding it out in front. Added benefit is protection from blades and blunt objects, in addition to stopping handgun bullets.

I also found that I could brace the inside of my right (shooting) forearm against the side of the bag, effectively turning a one-handing shooting stance into a two-handed one. Only caveat was to ensure the pistol is out in front of the bag a bit, to ensure room for the slide to cycle.

Hits were about the same as yesterday, while movement was a bit slower. However, I think the benefit of the armor FAR outweighs any slight penalty in movement speed (ask a tanker if he would rather have an extra 5 MPH or an extra 5 inches of steel around him, and you will get the same answer every time...).

Of course, to get this all to work, need to practice one-handed draw some more. I use a Smartcarry, and it can be done - especially since there is no need to untuck or sweep away a cover garment (shirt tucked in behind the holster).

Practice...practice...practice.

Links