Dry Firing, safety

Dry Firing, safety

This is a discussion on Dry Firing, safety within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, one of my students e-mailed me and credited me with a drill that perhaps saved someone's life. I gave this same advice at LFI ...

Thread: Dry Firing, safety

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar

Dry Firing, safety

Recently, one of my students e-mailed me and credited me with a drill that perhaps saved someone's life. I gave this same advice at LFI I in Phoenix when Mas allowed me to give the study classes in the eveningss following the regular instruction.

Perhaps I'm paranoid but there is simply too much old platoon sergeant in me to take anything for granted when it comes to safety.
    Especially since I'm getting older with the whimsey tha follows that affliction and having many students who are young with the impulsive audacity of their age.

You MUST dry fire if you are to maintain your skill level with a firearm. In the Army, on the Berlin Brigade Rifle team we would dry fire up to 6 hours a day, the 6th Army AMU did the same as did Col. DePasque of the 63 ARCOM AMU.
    But you must take every precaution NOT to let a live round go.

Take two magazines, paint them a bright color, white, bright yellow, a color you can identify in low light. Put only snap caps in them. No other bullet will ever be inserted in these magazines.

Then make certain you begin your session with no magazine in the gun, pull the slide back and feel into the chamber. This is very important because a live round from the mag you dropped may very well be in the chamber and in some handguns it is hard to see.

Once done put the painted mag in the handgun and dry fire untill you are tired, then quit.
    Drop the mag, pull the slide back, take you expelled snap cap put it back in the mag and then use your normal safety routine to reload a live magazine when necessary.

This is the safety procedure briefing on the back of my dryfire CD.

Dry Fire Safety Procedures
    Dry fire ONLY when you are alert and focused. Dry fire should always be a formal structured process. DO NOT casually dry fire while watching TV or other activities.
    Unload your pistol and place the live ammo in a specific canister before entering the dry fire practice area do not take any live ammunition with you into the practice area
    Go to your practice area where there is NO LIVE AMMUNITION
    Check your pistol again to ensure that there is no ammunition in the pistol or any practice magazines.
    Dry fire practice only on a specific dry fire target that is used only for dry fire practice. Do NOT dry fire at TVs, light switches, or other such general targets; doing so is a dangerous practice that can lead to damage, injury, or death of someone else.
    Place your dry fire target against a bullet resistant wall, e.g., brick or concrete block.
    If a bullet resistant wall is not available, the target should be backed by a body armor panel capable of containing a bullet from your pistol.
    Do not allow yourself to be disturbed during dry fire practice.
    Wear eye protection when dry firing in case of a Negligent Discharge.
    Using an Inert magazine for reload practice is highly recommended. If you use dummy ammunition during dry fire, use ONLY commercially manufactured, easily identifiable dummies. Homemade dummies are less readily identifiable and can result in death or serious injury. The most readily identifiable dummies are made by ST Action Pro Training Ammo, Dummy Rounds, Tactical Gear - ST Action Pro .
    When you are finished practicing, conceal or take down your target and put your pistol away immediately. Do some other activity that will remove dry fire from your thoughts. Do NOT immediately reload your pistol.
    Immediately reloading your pistol GREATLY increases the possibility of having a NEGLIGENT DISCHARGE.
    Failure to follow these procedures EXACTLY can result in DEATH or SERIOUS INJURY.

Always observe the Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling
    Four Rules of Safe Gunhandling
    1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
    2. Never point a gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy, including parts of your own body.
    3. Keep your finger out of and above the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond it
    In addition, store firearms so that they are NOT accessible to unauthorized persons.

Links