Tactical Response class review, Fighting Pistol in Muncy, PA 6/1/09-6/2/09

This is a discussion on Tactical Response class review, Fighting Pistol in Muncy, PA 6/1/09-6/2/09 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT Dam. That guy must be completely insufferable to work with now... Nope, he's cool. Which was really my point- "good enough" ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tactical Response class review, Fighting Pistol in Muncy, PA 6/1/09-6/2/09

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Dam.

That guy must be completely insufferable to work with now...
    Nope, he's cool. Which was really my point- "good enough" is never good enough for some.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    OK, fair enough.

RE: Emergency Medical treatment - Tactical Response also offers a 2 day Trauma Medical Class.
    Now THAT is a class I would definitely want to take! Basic 1st aid and CPR are fantastic for everyone to know, but you never know when you will come across something (like a car accident, or worse) where you would need a bit more. This is a great idea.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I've had 40 hrs of training from Tactical Response. They treat you like an adult. You will learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by dgg9 View Post
    I've had 40 hrs of training from Tactical Response. They treat you like an adult. You will learn a lot.
    Yes, they do & you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Now THAT is a class I would definitely want to take! Basic 1st aid and CPR are fantastic for everyone to know, but you never know when you will come across something (like a car accident, or worse) where you would need a bit more. This is a great idea.
    Very, very true.

Jay

fm2
    I agree! The next thing you know you'll be telling every one "Check out my cool emergency medical kit".

Rob, nice post.

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I have one. But it's mostly for dogs and horses. (They have all the best toys) I have never even heard of a sucking chest wound until this month, I'd definitely be interested in a class that covers that, etc.
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

I have long suggested a course in high schools to replace some of the feel-good crap they currently mandate. First half of the class, EMT-A certification, full course, no ifs ands, or buts. Second half, Firefighter 1, or state equivalent.

No one will be expected to go through life as superman, but what if you NEED firefighters? At least some can start sizing up, relaying info, and without gear, surround and drown, rather than interior attack.

To teach everything you need to know in two days is inviting a visit from a lawyer. You have just trained yourself, so Good Samaritan might not excuse your screwups.. You will be held to a higher standard, and I doubt you'll get TR to come to court on your behalf. I applaud the idea, but think two days is WAY too little time. I believe NJ requires 120 hours for EMT. That's one hell of a 2 day course...
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Quote Originally Posted by MedPig View Post
    I
    To teach everything you need to know in two days is inviting a visit from a lawyer. You have just trained yourself,...

sigh... no, you haven't. No certification, no licensure, no more than the basic first aid/First Responder courses some high schools do offer.

Yes, I used to work clinical instruction with a state university.

You will learn slightly more advanced hole-plugging from certified and liscensed instructors. Same deal at many other schools.

To teach everything you need to know in two days is inviting a visit from a lawyer. You have just trained yourself, so Good Samaritan might not excuse your screwups.. You will be held to a higher standard, and I doubt you'll get TR to come to court on your behalf. I applaud the idea, but think two days is WAY too little time. I believe NJ requires 120 hours for EMT. That's one hell of a 2 day course...
    Most tac med courses aren't trying to teach "everything you need to know", or the equivalent of a full EMT course. They're usually focused on a pretty narrow subset, gunshot and stab wounds, basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Most tac med courses aren't trying to teach "everything you need to know", or the equivalent of a full EMT course. They're usually focused on a pretty narrow subset, gunshot and stab wounds, basically.
    True, but merely "plugging a hole" on the surface does nothing. Volume Replacement is everything in trauma. Some paramedics like to play doctor, and be cardiologists. Others of us, like myself, are trauma junkies, enjoying the battlefield medic role more than treating ECG rhythms. Unless someone went into one of these classes with a decent skillset to start with, I can't see that two days is enough to teach anything useful.

I see it as catering to the "Walter Mitty" set. We had cops at my old shop who took 1 and 2 day courses, and to hear them, you would thing they were qualified to do brain surgery under fire. I was a paramedic for 20 years, and there are things I would want a month's training for, before I was comfortable...
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

I see it as catering to the "Walter Mitty" set....
    Someone with Celox gauze and a SWAT-T or Cinch-Tight, and no more knowledge than how to use them, would have made a significant difference at VMI, I would suggest. At Trolley Square Mall, on the Beltway, etc., etc..

"Know what you don't know." Know how to apply what you do know; be able to integrate that into non-scripted scenarios, and be able to reason through unique situations; recognize and be able to verbalize the limitations of your current training and equipment.

"Walter Mittys" will always be around. If I took a shotgun blast, point-blank to my inner thigh, I would prefer a Walter Mitty with a half-clue and a clean Tshirt to Gina Soccermom who thinks calling 911 is going to help. Odds are, such a thing will never happen, but it sucks to be a 1%er...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Someone with Celox gauze and a SWAT-T or Cinch-Tight, and no more knowledge than how to use them, would have made a significant difference at VMI, I would suggest. At Trolley Square Mall, on the Beltway, etc., etc.
    Exactly! (though I think you mean Virginia Tech, not VMI).

As always, the people on the scene when it happens are the real first responders. They may not be EMTs or trauma surgeons, but they can do things that will help keep the injured alive until help arrives. This is particularly important in active shooter type situations where medical help isn't going to be available until police secure the scene. When seconds count, help is minutes away (if not longer).

August offer from Tactical Response

Howdy Folks,
    Starting August 1 new people signing up for classes in Camden,Tn. will get $50.00 off, current police and active duty military will get 50 percent off and prior service military or police get 25 percent off.
    This offer applies to classes scheduled in August.

Go to TacticalResponse.com for schedule and sign up.

Jay

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links