Your range exercises?

Your range exercises?

This is a discussion on Your range exercises? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Most of the time, the range I go to is indoor with lanes, paper targets only and no moving while firing. As standing in one ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProShooter

Thread: Your range exercises?

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar

Your range exercises?

Most of the time, the range I go to is indoor with lanes, paper targets only and no moving while firing. As standing in one place and shooting the same bullseye over and over is both boring and not very well related to real life situations, I've started coming up with 'games' to play. I'm curious if others have tried something similar.

For instance, I draw a line down the middle of a piece of printer paper and try to rapid-fire as many shots on one side as possible, without ever hitting the other side.

Or, draw a bunch of circles on the paper then draw and fire a certain number of rounds into each one.

Just simple things like that. I don't really have a big budget (thus I have been using printer paper/sharpie targets and a .22) but I'm sure there are plenty of ways to change up the routine to improve skills other than the single untimed long-distance shot.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Indoor Range

-Left hand shooting
    -Right hand shooting
    -Two hand shooting

I try to shoot around 400 rounds for each hand in single-handed shooting. And for two-handed shooting I try to shoot around 600 rounds. Some days I shoot more and some less, it all depends on what I have going on.

Outdoor Range
    -drawing from concealment
    -shooting on the move with left hand
    -shooting on the move with right hand
    -shooting on the move with both hands
    -shooting in and out of cover

When I am outdoors I tend to use a lot more ammo than what I would use indoors.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Get some colored circular stickers, like orange ones. They usually sell them at Staples and such and are about the size of a quarter. Get some paper plates and string.

Sticker on the center of the plate, plate tied to the string. Hang the string from the target framework and twist it so that it untwists on its own. Send it down range to an acceptable distance. As its spinning, switch from the ready position to fire every time you see the orange sticker. Try to only shoot when the orange faces you.

Cheap, but highly effective
    HAGJewels likes this.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

IDPA

IDPA is a great way to spend a few hours. It is a game, practice, training whatever you want to make of it.

Cheers
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Try loading a bent up empty case and one or two live rounds in your gun. You'll get a shot, a jam, another shot, and an empty gun or a slide locked open. You can practice malfunction clearance and reloads in the same string of fire. Hang two bullseyes up and have someone call left or right, or practice shooting one on each back and forth. Look here for free targets: FREE TARGETS from TARGETZ.com but make sure you don't go print a bunch for free at work or anything that would be wrong.... No matter what I'm practicing on any particular day, I shoot 5 rounds into a bullseye target for score before and after I practice. Reminds me about trigger control. I developed a "qualification course" we shoot at the range, there is minimal movement. I pasted it here:

We developed this course at the gunshop where I work. We were looking for a basic competency or skills drill. We wanted to do something without drawing and firing from the holster and that didn't involve a timer, so that it would fit with our range and rules. We added the controversial pelvic shot after some consideration, yes we know there are some strong opinions on this. As a paramedic, I happen to think it's a good idea. Not everybody does. We learned a few things as we employees tried to go through it, your input is welcome as always. A snub and service revolver course is under development and we are eagerly seeking input in this.

Basic training drills for self defense: Semi-auto drill.
    This is a simple set of exercises to evaluate defensive shooting ability. The goal is to complete the course of fire at the fastest pace that will allow you to keep a 100% score on the target. Smooth performance is better than fast misses. The reality is that this is practice on a well lit range without the stress and Adrenaline rush of a lethal force shooting. If you are unable to perform these drills at a reasonable speed under these conditions, take a serious look at your ability to defend yourself with a handgun.

Requirements:
    Pistol, 50 rounds of ammunition, spare magazine, eye and ear protection, one silhouette target.

The Rules:
    #1 SAFETY FIRST! Be aware of your muzzle and trigger finger at all times. The margin of error is 0%. Sights off of target = finger off of trigger. Do not move your support hand in front of the gun. No excuses! No exceptions!

#2 Reloads are required at some points. If you rely on a pistol for defense, spare ammo is a must. A spare magazine carrier is recommended. A speed reload is done with an empty gun and the empty magazine should be allowed to fall free if possible. A tactical reload (also called “reload with retention”) requires the shooter to retain a partially used magazine, usually in a pocket. Note that in these drills, sometimes the retained magazine will be empty.

#3 Do not be afraid to ask for help or advice.

#4 No cheating. Use your everyday defense pistol and gear, no match guns or race guns. You get out of practice what you put in.

#5 Hits must be in the center of mass (COM) of the target to count. Head and pelvis only count when specified as a target in the course of fire. Shots to the target’s gun hand or other “luck shots” do not count. For targets with score rings, COM is anything inside the 8 ring. For picture targets, estimate the vital zone. Pelvis hits must be below the belt line.

#6 Low ready position means the gun held parallel to the floor, elbows tucked in tight to the chest. One hand ready means the gun held parallel to the floor in one hand, the other hand and arm should be tucked into the chest or held tight against the body well out of the way of the muzzle.

#7 At close range, beware that muzzle blast may swing the target back. You may have to move the target further away if it swings excessively.

Semi-auto course of fire:
    (Set target at 5 feet, load 5 rounds into the gun)
    1: At 5 feet, fire 5 rounds COM from the two hand ready position.
    (Load 2 rounds in gun, 3 in spare)
    2: At 5 feet from the one hand ready position, fire 2 shots to COM, speed reload, fire 2 shots to COM, 1 round to head. One handed shooting only.
    (Load 3 rounds in gun, 2 in spare)
    3: At 5 feet, from the 2 hand ready position, fire 3 shots to COM two-handed, speed reload, fire two shots to pelvis using dominant hand only.
    (Load 4 rounds in gun, 1 in spare. Move target to 3 yards)
    4: At 3 yards, from the 2 hand ready position, fire 2 rounds, return to ready position.
    5: At 3 yards, from the 2 hand ready position, fire 2 rounds, speed reload, fire one round to head.
    (Load gun with 5 rounds)
    6: At 3 yards from the 2 hand ready position, fire 5 rounds COM.
    (Load 3 rounds in gun and 2 in spare. Move target to 5 yards and open 1 barricade, all further stages will use the barricade for cover)
    7: At 5 yards from the 2 hand ready position, fire 2 shots COM from behind cover of the barricade, tactical reload behind cover, fire 3 more rounds COM.
    (Load 10 rounds in gun if possible, otherwise load 5 and 5)
    8: At 5 yards, one hand ready position, fire 5 shots COM with dominant side hand only. Behind cover, carefully switch to non-dominant hand and fire 5 rounds COM with non-dominant hand only. If a reload is needed, do so behind cover.
    (Load 5 rounds in gun, start next to barricade, not behind it. Move target to 7 yards.)
    9: From the 2 hand ready position at 7 yards, fire 3 shots COM 2 handed, move behind cover, fire 2 shots COM with dominant hand only.
    (Load 5 rounds in gun, start next to barricade, not behind it.
    10: From the 2 hand ready position at 7 yards, fire 2 shots to COM, sidestep to barricade, fire 2 shots to pelvis, kneel and fire last shot to head.

Score: 43 COM hits, 4 pelvis hits, 3 head hits.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Try loading a bent up empty case and one or two live rounds in your gun. You'll get a shot, a jam, another shot, and an empty gun or a slide locked open. You can practice malfunction clearance and reloads in the same string of fire.
    Ah, yes. I do this with snap caps
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Ah, yes. I do this with snap caps
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Very helpful I will try this in a few days when I go to the range.
    "The 280z, is more like a skittish, half broken bronco, that requires constant attention, challenges your driving ability and will literally ride the driver hard and put him away wet."
    -Hybridz.org

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    First thing is stretching; touch my toes, stretch my arms, legs, trunk rotations to stretch my obliques. After that a few calisthentics to warm up, then I'm ready.

Today's range session consisted of 150 rds. I forget the target name but it had 5 different target areas. I think it was for sighting in scoped rifles. Anyway, here is today's course of fire: Upper Right Target - 10 rounds, two hands; Lower Right Target - 10 rds, strong hand; Lower Left Target - 10 rds, support hand; Upper Left Target - 10 rds, two hands but sighting with non-dominant eye; and finally Center Target - 10 rds with both hands. I fired 50 rds each of 45 (XD Service), 40 (XDsc) and 9 (XD Service). I shot the 9 last and was supprised at the mild recoil compared to the 40 and 45.

The snap cap usually feeds and just simulates a failure to fire. An empty case only feeds occasionally and can give a jam, even a stovepipe with the short OAL compared to a loaded round or snap cap. Makes clearing it harder.

Exclamation My 2 cents...

Before going to the range, I pick which gun/guns are going...lube the rails or bolts lightly...paste targets to backers...grab the right ammo box(s)...load the truck...go to range.

Unload and set-up spotting scope and targets...uncase firearms...load weapon to be fired. Usually do bench work first, then standing / prone work...and lastly, practice point shooting by drawing my CCW from holster / cover...presentation...double taps to center mass, without use of sights, at various combat ranges (within 25 ft).

Reload carry piece with preferred carry ammo...pack up...load up truck...go have a beer with friend(s) I went to range with.

Chalk up another great day !!

Here's where I get some free printable targets:

Downloadable Targets

Rifle & Pistol Targets

Free Printable Targets
    SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Links