Defensive training in Michigan

This is a discussion on Defensive training in Michigan within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a defensive training course for CCW in Michigan. I've already got the CPL so I'm looking for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defensive training in Michigan

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a defensive training course for CCW in Michigan. I've already got the CPL so I'm looking for the next level in training beyond that, stuff like point shooting, shooting while moving, force on force, disarm/retention etc.

I've found three or four websites that advertise training but the schedules are all a couple years old and they don't answer my e-mails so I imagine that the companies are defunct but they pre-paid their web fee.

Target in Royal Oak (where I took my CCW course) is supposed to have something but they haven't scheduled one as long as I've been checking their website and that's roughly 6 months.

Can anyone make any recommendations on courses within a few hours drive of SE Michigan that are still in operation?

Contact this individual.
    He goes ALL OVER the U.S. and is highly recommended. I'm not sure of his schedule.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...13-2009-a.html
    Post #1...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It would be a bit of a drive, but well worth it. Top Gun not sure if it's in Taylor or Southgate, but the trainers they use have a 9-5 job training feds how to shoot, They only offer classes on the weekend, but you get your money's worth. Cheryl and Pete are great. If you go tell them "The Professor" referred you.
    Last edited by Aitsu83; June 28th, 2009 at 03:41 AM. Reason: gramatical error.

Innovative Tactical Concepts, LLC
    Dept S.W.A.T.
    PO Box 1022
    Richmond, IN 47375
    (765)977-6662
    Realistic and Practical Firearms Training

Try these guys. I have good things about them. And only a couple hours drive to Richmond. Good Luck.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

Distinguished Member Array mathewsman's Avatar
    hey cool i am with you i live in lansing and cant find anything eather
    NRA sence 2003 Colt defender Taurus .357 mag
    Taurus tcp x box gamer tag mathewsman

I might just join you as well, then again, funds are tight. I'll be looking to see what you guys go with.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

You might try MDFI

They just had a write up in SWAT magazine.

Also join the Michigan Gun Owner's Forum. They're a pretty nice bunch of guys and gals (never mind the old curmudgeons) and there is a dedicated section for instructors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a defensive training course for CCW in Michigan.
    A walk down any street in Detroit... nothing like on the job training
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

I believe Massad Ayoob is bringing his training to MI (Kalamazoo perhaps?) in August.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Someone who remains nameless posted about a course here

I'm free on that date and if he's legit, I may go.

Ayoob's training would be even better, unfortunately I'm already out of town the weekend it starts. Dang.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricebrnr View Post
    You might try MDFI
    Just wanted to say thanks for the link, I'm signed up for this course and hopefully even have found enough ammo to do it.

I'll be the one with the M&P 9 in a supertuck holster. If anyone else is planning on going, speak up...we'll hang.

Cycler,

I have taken 3 pistol classes from Steve Fisher there at MDFI over the last 2 years. I think you are really going to like it, and you won't believe how much you will improve.

His classes are very reasonably priced, and the classes are usually small, but man do you burn through some ammo. That's where the money goes...right through your gun.

I wanted to sign up for one his classes this summer as a refresher, but I decided to do some hardware acquisition instead......its sad, but I can either pay for training or buy guns, not both.

Just attended one

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a defensive training course for CCW in Michigan. I've already got the CPL so I'm looking for the next level in training beyond that, stuff like point shooting, shooting while moving, force on force, disarm/retention etc.

I've found three or four websites that advertise training but the schedules are all a couple years old and they don't answer my e-mails so I imagine that the companies are defunct but they pre-paid their web fee.

Target in Royal Oak (where I took my CCW course) is supposed to have something but they haven't scheduled one as long as I've been checking their website and that's roughly 6 months.

Can anyone make any recommendations on courses within a few hours drive of SE Michigan that are still in operation?
    Check out MDFI.com. I just attended the Handgun 1 course and it was great. A definite upgrade for a new CPL holder like myself

Try Closed Quarters Tactical (CQT). They are located in Chesterfield, MI near 23 mile and Hayes, I think? Might be Gratiot.

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I've already got the CPL so I'm looking for the next level in training beyond that, stuff like point shooting, shooting while moving, force on force,
    October 22-23, 2011
    POINT SHOOTING PROGRESSIONS
    Bellevue, Michigan
    Instructor: Roger Phillips

Experience has proven beyond any argument that the traditional shooting range methods are simply not suitable for reactive gunfighting. In this course you will learn the "Fight Continuum" detailing exactly when point shooting is suitable, how far to extend the pistol to the threat, the various visual indexes, the combat draw and other life saving skills that will have you shooting at speeds previously considered impossible. This material is comprised from material from virtually every threat focused shooting system in existence and refined to fit into a simple progression of instruction. This course distills it all into one well thought out and extremely applicable system that dovetails neatly into the regular Close Range Gunfighting matrix, presenting the full aspect of the integration of sighted and unsighted fire at CQB distances.

We must point out that THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE SHOOTER. If you have not received basic instruction, or have a question about your skill level, please call us first.

DURATION:

2 Days

TIME:

8:00AM to 4:00PM

PREREQUISITES:

NONE

AMMUNITION:

Appx 700 rounds (Minimum); Bring more if you want to shoot more

YOU NEED TO BRING:

Spare clothing appropriate to the weather, lunch/snacks and water (minimum of 1 gallon per person) for the entire day, baseball or other style hat, sun screen, bug repellent, allergy medication (if needed), chair (if you have a problem with sitting on the ground, note taking paper/pen/pencil and a boo boo kit (band aids, gauze pads, antiseptic wipes, antibiotic ointment and tape)

REQUIREMENTS:

Pistol, Carry Holster, 3 Magazines and Magazine pouch and Range Safety Gear

Centerline Gun Club
    23100 13 Mile Rd. Bellevue MI 49021
    Phone: 269-763-2079

DIRECTIONS TO RANGE:

3 miles south of Bellevue MI on 13 mile road

NEARBY HOTELS:

Hampton Inn
    17256 Sam Hill Road, Marshall, MI, 49068
    Phone - 269-789-0131

Holiday Inn Express
    17252 Sam Hill Road, Marshall, MI, 49068
    Phone - 269-789-9301

CLOSEST AIRPORT:

Kalamazoo/Battle Creek Int'l Airport / AZO

NOTES:

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate the call us anytime. Call Suarez Headquarters if you would like to get in contact with your instructor or the class host.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links