IDPA

This is a discussion on IDPA within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was not really sure where to post this, but this seemed as good a place as any. I took some time today to go ...

View Poll Results: Do you participate in IDPA or another pistol shooting sport?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

74 45.96%
  • I used to

9 5.59%
  • I'm going to look into now

33 20.50%
  • No

45 27.95%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: IDPA

IDPA

I was not really sure where to post this, but this seemed as good a place as any.

I took some time today to go the IDPA match in Charlotte today and I have to say it looked like a ton of fun and I am surprised that it doesn't get more screen time on this site.

The addition of a timer, opportunities for penalties, strategy and chance of chastising by friend seemed to add a fair bit of stress to the event.

I saw malfunctions (some handled and moved on, some gamed for a better time), user error (guy had a magwell and mags with no pad so the wouldn't seat for him), environmental awareness (scanning for missed targets to avoid penalties), tactical and slide lock reloads, guys enter with a plan and completely forget it once they started shooting, and active movement. All of which seemed like good experience for people interested in Defensive Carrying.

So who here participates in IDPA or a similar shooting sport?

2. Remove Ads

I shoot USPSA, ICORE, steel challenge, and some 3 gun. I haven't shot IDPA. There are not enough weekends to do it all!

Dave

It is something that intrigues me. A great way to practice.
    Come to the Darkside. We have Cookies.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    No but I want to just haven't had the time.

VIP Member
    I shoot IDPA. I just got back from one of our regular matches.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    I actually found out there is a local shooting range that offers all kinds of competitions, including several rimfire. Sadly with ammo like it is I'm thinking of trying that one. Although I know I'm going to be the worst shot there.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I said "No!"

I have thought about it from time to time.
    I took a Pistol SD course from an instructor who is the FL Area Coordinator for IDPA, but he's 2 hours away.
    I'm not sure that there is an IDPA center near me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I just shot a local IDPA match today. IDPA can be a good place to get some trigger time in something other than a pure square range environment. It does have some limitations though. I don't think it really exercises the full range of gunfighting skills and it can teach you some bad habits that could get you killed in a real fight. If you keep these limitations in mind, you can try and shoot IDPA in a more realistic way and avoid some of the bad habits (though this will probably hurt your scores). Even better you can do additional training and practice outside of IDPA to try and practice the skills IDPA doesn't really cover.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I said "No!"

I have thought about it from time to time.
    I took a Pistol SD course from an instructor who is the FL Area Coordinator for IDPA, but he's 2 hours away.
    I'm not sure that there is an IDPA center near me.
    You are in the middle of 3-4 clubs and all far away? Darn!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

VIP Member
    it can teach you some bad habits that could get you killed in a real fight
    Such as?
    Randy Cain.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Such as?
    A friend of mine who occasionally posted here as Harold Green drew up a list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green
    1. Poor use of cover. This occurs in at least three distinct circumstances:
      1. Exposing too much of one's self. This happens when a shooter steps out further than is needed from behind cover.
      2. Exposing one's self too long from behind cover. This happens most often when shooting multiple threats while slicing the pie. Your may spend long enough neutralizing the first threat that his partners will be able to sight in on your muzzle blasts and take you out as you try to engage them.
      3. Re-exposure in the same place. This happens when you've fired from around the edge of cover, duck back behind cover to reload or for some other reason and then come back out in the same place. Your opponent may have had time to align his sights on your last known location, and be ready for you when you pop back out to take additional shots.
    2. Use of concealment for cover. Participation in organized pistol matches conditions us to think of most walls as cover, when in actuality they're really concealment. Cover is something that will stop bullets, concealment will not. Most interior walls are made of sheetrock construction that bullets will readily penetrate. Most car doors and body panels are made of thin sheet metal that bullets will readily penetrate. In many pistol matches, the scenarios presented specify both of these as hardcover, when they are really bullet-permeable concealment.
    3. Infrequent use of a concealment garment. Many courses of fire used in pistol matches don't require the use of concealment. Almost all of us, who carry a gun for defensive purposes (with the exception of on-duty, uniformed police officers), carry it concealed. We should practice deploying it from that condition.
    4. Use of a "match gun" and equipment rather than your every-day concealed carry gun and equipment. All too often we see folks at pistol matches using guns, holsters, magazine pouches, and the like that are markedly different than the ones they use for every-day concealed carry. Practicing with equipment that's markedly different from what you may have to depend on to save your life may not be in your best interest.
    5. Use of low ready for weak hand exercises. Often, match directors will include weak hand exercises to simulate a disabled dominant hand. Very likely, if your dominant hand is disabled in a defensive encounter, it will occur before you've had a chance to draw your gun. If this happens, you will need to have practiced how to draw using your weak hand prior to needing to do so in order to save your life.
    6. Habitually double tapping everything rather than shooting to eliminate the threat. It's not uncommon to see shooters double tap targets when a course description calls for one round or for three rounds. Double taps are done so often most of us have gotten into the habit of doing a double tap and then assessing to see if we've made good hits. In a real defensive encounter a double tap may not take down an opponent. If this happens, that hesitation and assessment may cost you the advantage. Shoot until the threat ceases to be a threat, rather than automatically firing two shots and waiting to see what happens.
    7. Conditioning shooters to use two hands to re-holster. If your non-dominant hand is occupied with something important, you may not be able to use two hands to re-holster, and you may need to re-holster quickly in order to free up your dominant hand.
    8. Developing the habit of shooting for speed rather than emphasizing correct technique and tactics. The use of timers tends to make us focus on speed rather than on the use of proper shooting technique and tactics. In a high stress situation, improper technique could cost us hits, and improper tactics could get us killed.
    9. Conditioning shooters to automatically unload rather than scan at the end of a string. If you follow this conditioned response, once you think you've eliminated the threat, you may find yourself with an empty gun in your hand just in time to look around and find there were more threats than you realized.
    10. Insufficient use of movement. How many times have you seen shooters just stand with their feet planted and shoot? How many times have you seen shooters take baby steps when they're supposed to shoot while moving? If your life were in danger, would you stand still and make yourself a static target? If you were trying to get away from an adversary, would you take baby steps? No, of course not. Wouldn't it be better to practice the tactics and techniques you would use in a real encounter, like you would use them in a real encounter?
    11. Conditioning the shooter to perform tactical reloads whenever reloading a partially loaded gun. Tactical reloads are great, at the right time and in the right place. However, there may be times when you need to top off your gun and don't have the time for a tactical reload. If you tac load then, it could be hazardous to your health. So, why do we do tactical reloads? Because we may run out of ammo if we don't save the partial magazine. If you're in jeopardy of running out of ammo, just carry more ammo.
    12. Conditioning shooters to depend on the buzzer as a start cue. In real life, no one's going to sound the buzzer when you need to start defending yourself. The cues will probably be much more subtle than that. Condition yourself to watch for these cues (can you say condition yellow) and act on them when there is sufficient need.
    13. Conditioning shooters to solve all problems by shooting them. Every course of fire in traditional pistol matches requires the 'shooter' to shoot something. In real life, other solutions may not only be appropriate, but imperative. The old saw, 'if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail' applies here. If you find yourself in a tight spot and have the choice to shoot or to run which is best? If you're conditioned to solve every problem by shooting, and running is the better choice, you may make the wrong choice. If your gun stops working, do you have other skills available to you that could be used to solve the problem? If you don't, maybe you should.
    One additional one that I see all the time at IDPA matches is crowding cover or concealment and sticking the gun out beyond it. When you're slicing the pie, sticking your gun out beyond cover is like an invitation to any bad guy you haven't seen yet to shoot at your gun or hands or even to shoot at you through your concealment.

Participate in shooting sports? Yes. My club is geared toward IPSC and the USPSA. May be somewhat different overall from IDPA, but I've been exposed. I'm going a step further next month, and taking the level I NROI seminar to become a range officer.

Would like to know if anyone knows if there is any near my location (Fayetteville, NC)??
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Would like to know if anyone knows if there is any near my location (Fayetteville, NC)??
    List IDPA clubs in North Carolina.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    List IDPA clubs in North Carolina.
    Thanks

They are all more then a hour away from me.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links