Online Training for Utah

This is a discussion on Online Training for Utah within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone interested in getting the classroom portion of the Utah Non-Resident permit online needs to know that this must be completed by April 29, 2006. ...

Thread: Online Training for Utah

VIP Member

Online Training for Utah

Anyone interested in getting the classroom portion of the Utah Non-Resident permit online needs to know that this must be completed by April 29, 2006. As of May 1st, Utah will require all Utah permit classes be given in person and will no longer allow the online format of instruction.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Odd, I am a certified Utah Instructor and have received no notification.

Are you referring to the 12/21/06 letter rom Ed McConkie, BCI Chief?
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Odd, I am a certified Utah Instructor and have received no notification.

Are you referring to the 12/21/06 letter rom Ed McConkie, BCI Chief?
    I signed up for the online class from UTCCW which is part of RBI and received the following email.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Welcome to the Utah Online Course! You are registered now and may begin watching your sessions right away. It will take about 3 hours to watch all the sessions. Please remember the course must be finished by April 29th in order to receive your permit from Utah by taking an online class. As of May 1st, Utah will require all Utah permit classes be given in person and will no longer allow the online format of instruction.

If you have any problems with the sessions as you progress with the class please let us know.

Thank you for enrolling! Enjoy the class!

Sincerely,
    Deanna Clemmons
    Program Coordinator
    RBI
    1-800-852-5504

I notice it does not say that they have to be taken in Utah, but rather that they must be in person which seems to mean that they will no longer allow the classroom portion of the trianing to be done online. UTCCW had just announced their program a couple of weeks ago at $119, then the next day I got another notice that for a limited time the price was $49. After I signed up and got the email I know why the price change and what limited the time. I would have done the same thing. If I had created and recorded the class sessions and put them online only to be told that I had only 2 months to be able to recover my costs I would cut the price to get the most possible people enrolled.

I needed the online class because there are only two certified Utah instructors in Alabama and both are about 100 miles away. I checked with them and neither had a class scheduled until late spring. This worked out well for me. I usually have things happen the other way. I would sign up for the $119 class and the next day the price would drop to $49. Finally got a break.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Be sure you can provide PROOF of gun handling, as BCI will not approve a permit for those who cannot. Instructors who provide on line cannot waiver gun handling.

You will need DD214, certified LEO training, NRA pistol certification, or NRA instructor certificate in order to get you license.

For information contact Utah DPS. www.bci.utah.gov
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info. I have my NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate. I have completed the the online portion and am now waiting for the documentation of that and the rest of the documents necessary to submit. I am going to get the picture this weekend. Fortunately my brother in law is LEO and I can get the fingerprinting done officially and easily.

Have a great day.
    George

Is there any benefit to getting Utah if you already have FL?

VIP Member
    There is not a lot of benefit. Utah's permit is accepted in the following states that do not accept Florida's. This is as accurate as I can get it since Florida's CCW site appears to be down and Packing.org keeps giving me "Too Busy" notices.

Ninnesota, New Mexico, and Washington

Florida is accepted in Pennsylvania where Utah is not. Other than those there appears to be no major difference. Many maps for Utah show New Mexico as not accepting, but the Utah BCI site shows that Utah and New Mexico have a reciprocity agreement. The page is dated March 1, 2006. If your Florida permit is Non-Resident the other benefit is cost. Utah is $59 for 5 years. You could pick up Pennsylvania by getting New Hampshire Non-Resident for $20 for 4 years. This would still be about $40 less than Florida for 5 years, if I recall the price of Florida correctly. It your permit is resident Florida then the three additional states is the only benefit.
    George

I plan to replace my Az with Utah this summer. Have to go to Az in order to renew, and Have Utah paperwork all done.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Florida has New Mexico.. It's Minny and Wash

I was thinking having 2 is a backup in case some states stop recoginizing Florida or laws change?

Does showing 2 helped out if stopped?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees98a
    Florida has New Mexico.. It's Minny and Wash

I was thinking having 2 is a backup in case some states stop recoginizing Florida or laws change?

Does showing 2 helped out if stopped?
    I can't answer that question since I have not been stopped, but I don't see how it could hurt. At present I only have Alabama, but as soon as my paperwork comes in I will be getting the Utah. Next month I will request the New Hampshire. NH only requires that you send a copy of a permit from your resident state, fill out app, and include $20 check. I will have 3 then. The only benefit for me from NH is Pennsylvania, but we are planning a trip to Philadelphia next year so it is worth $20 for the NH permit.

Before you decide you might want to check to see how many Utah instructors there are in Florida. I expect that there are more than the 2 available in AL. If I could have gotten the class soon, not too far away and at a reasonable price I would have done that rather than go the online route. It just worked out that online was available at the right price when I could do it. After April 29 I would have had to find an instructor.
    George

Well its $49 for online and I already have NRA Basic pistol so I'd be set.. But just wanted to see what people think being already have Florida CCW is it worth it to get Utah too?

VIP Member
    I did the full course over a 3 day period. I started late the first night and did 3 lessons. Next day did 6. Third day did 9. You could easily do them in 2 sessions. One session would be more than I could handle. 2 or 3 sessions on a Saturday would easily be possible.

Good Luck.
    George

Links