How often do you practice? - Page 2

How often do you practice?

This is a discussion on How often do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; at least once a month, more if I have the time....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you practice?

at least once a month, more if I have the time.

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I usually go about twice a week and shoot my target reloads....and run some SD ammo thru all the guns as well. I also try to take a tactical type class every few months.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    About once a year (hey I'm honest here), haven't lost much from all military training. I should go more though, but you know what, since most action is going to take place less then 10 feet from me, it's not my practice that's going to be the saving grace for me, it's still going to be how I handle myself in a stress situation. Just my view.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    My goal is once a month...Range USA in Memphis

VIP Member
    Dry fire practice can be tremendously helpful and with the ammo situation and being out of work, I dry fire practice every week, actual shooting is down to every 6 - 8 weeks.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm going out on a limb....I think the more important questions is how do you practice. Or what do you practice.

What is the goal?

To be able to shoot more accurately?
    To be able to shoot more rapidly?
    To be able to fight with a handgun?
    To be able to change mags faster?
    To be able to perform IADís
    To be able to shoot one handed?
    To be able to shoot in the dark?

How many of you practice shooting with the non dominant hand until it is empty and perform a reload with the same hand (One handed so to speak).

How often do practice your draw? Or do you walk around with your firearm in your hand?

How many of you practice shooting with a light? (80% of all shootings happen in low or reduced light!)

Going to the range and shooting at paper targets that don't move and don't shoot back is preparing you for what?

You must train the way you will fight! So that you fight the way you train!

Just me $0.02 and I am sure thatís all itís worth.

Tom

Well i like to practice at least once a month, but the local range wont let you draw your weapon, fire at a distance less that 15yds, and no rapid firing. so i asked what i am supposed to do tell the guy to back up 15 yds and hold still so i can hit him twice in 3 seconds? Anyone know any good ranges near Fayetteville, NC that would allow more training??

I don't know about Fayetteville or other places east of the Mississippi, but out west you can legally shoot on land managed by the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) in most states. In Nevada, you can practice on BLM land unless it is posted otherwise, provided you are at least 5000 feet from any occupied dwelling (for rifles) and 1000 feet from any occupied dwelling (for handguns and shotguns). I practice target shooting at the range, but I do my training in the desert, where I can work on fast draw, reloading, point shooting, and other skills I'd need if a self defense situation came up.

I target shoot at the range every two weeks, 2-4hrs per session, and about 1000 rds with a mixed bag of .38spl, 9mm, .40, .45 and .22lr. Since ammo is in such short supply (and expensive), roughly 500 of the 1K are .22lr. At least once per month, I shoot IDPA. I'm trying to find time to shoot more IDPA in the off weeks between range practice.

-Seawolf
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDPA Member & RSO, KSRA Life Member, NRA Life Member, NRA Firearms Instructor & RSO, KS CCH Instructor (www.thekasdg.com)

I am still shooting trap twice a week, which is not really practice, but I try to get to the range at least weekly. We have a pistol league weekly, but it's been slacking off for the summer.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

400 rounds of .45acp every week. plus what ever rifle or shot gun I feel like plinking with.

I try to shoot once a week. At least once every two weeks. My girlfriend likes it and women shoot free on friday so we kinda make a date out of it. Go shooting and then get something to eat.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Botu 250rds a week if not more. Now that I have an AR I have been feeding that rifle like an obese elephant diseased rhino lion. In other words I prolly should start ordering a pallet of .223.

I have had this AR for about 5 days and it has over 1000 rds through it already.Way I see it, I will just get replacement parts when they wear out hehehe.

But my practice sessions consist of running around tactically defeating paper and metal bad guys who have every intention of shooting back at me. But for some odd reason I seem to always get the kill shot first....... weird sigh ...
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    I try to go to the range every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. Lately I've been shooting largely .22 due to tight finances and ammo availability.

I have no formal training, mainly because I cannot afford it. I do everything I can to teach myself well and offset that fact...

I practice drawing from my carry rig, reloading, slow fire and fast fire.

I practice "hit one area but do not hit another area". With that drill I try to go as quickly as possible with 0 hits in the no-hit zone, so speed varies by the range I have it set up at.

I practice both hands, strong hand only and weak hand only. I practice simulated FTF situations (TRB) using snap-caps when I have enough money to get some 9mm.

I practice shooting without using sights, shooting from both retention and a position closer to fully extended.

I practice shooting while standing up as well as kneeling and transitioning between kneeling and standing.

I practice using both eyes open as well as each eye individually.

I practice drawing and dry-firing at home.

I do NOT practice moving while shooting, since the range does not allow it. I plan to get into IDPA to get some practice with this.

I do NOT practice moving targets, once again because there is no way to do that at my range.

I have not tried shooting with a light yet, but I will probably try that soon because it sounds like a pretty good idea.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by NCConcealed View Post
    Well i like to practice at least once a month, but the local range wont let you draw your weapon, fire at a distance less that 15yds, and no rapid firing. so i asked what i am supposed to do tell the guy to back up 15 yds and hold still so i can hit him twice in 3 seconds? Anyone know any good ranges near Fayetteville, NC that would allow more training??
    Talk to Bernard out at Guns Plus (in Spring Lake on the 24). I trained with him in a Vickers class a while back and he is a good guy.
    Deputy Director of Training
    LMSDefense
    www.lmsdefense.com
    troyprice@lmsdefense.com

It is not the ability to master the extraordinary that makes a warrior special; what makes a warrior special is the ability to master the basics extraordinarily well. - (author unknown)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links