How often do you practice? - Page 3

How often do you practice?

This is a discussion on How often do you practice? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GWRedDragon I try to go to the range every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. Lately I've been shooting largely ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How often do you practice?

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    I try to go to the range every 1-2 weeks. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less. Lately I've been shooting largely .22 due to tight finances and ammo availability.

I have no formal training, mainly because I cannot afford it. I do everything I can to teach myself well and offset that fact...

I practice drawing from my carry rig, reloading, slow fire and fast fire.

I practice "hit one area but do not hit another area". With that drill I try to go as quickly as possible with 0 hits in the no-hit zone, so speed varies by the range I have it set up at.

I practice both hands, strong hand only and weak hand only. I practice simulated FTF situations (TRB) using snap-caps when I have enough money to get some 9mm.

I practice shooting without using sights, shooting from both retention and a position closer to fully extended.

I practice shooting while standing up as well as kneeling and transitioning between kneeling and standing.

I practice using both eyes open as well as each eye individually.

I practice drawing and dry-firing at home.

I do NOT practice moving while shooting, since the range does not allow it. I plan to get into IDPA to get some practice with this.

I do NOT practice moving targets, once again because there is no way to do that at my range.

I have not tried shooting with a light yet, but I will probably try that soon because it sounds like a pretty good idea.

PM sent!

Tom

Every time I take a ccw class to the range, I model all behaviors and techniques. Sometimes during those jaunts, I'll have a student blame the gun as being inaccurate and I have to take the piece and show him or her that it's the shooter and not the gun so please pay attention, you're technique is flawed in this way... But those times, I'm usually focused on the student's safety and technique.

Times just for me? During the summer durn few due to the heat factor even at an indoor range. Still, I've been "at this" for so long and with so much training that I can go months without a smidgen of range time and still feel fully capable to resolve any tactical issue that might arise. When Fall comes around I'll be healthier and able to resume my IDPA matches and I'm sure MIGGY will be reminding me constantly. What a good friend. I'll take my daughter to the range when she gets back from New York in August and that will be time for me to brush up for myself. I'm fortunate in that the indoor range where I go for pleasure is also the range where I take my ccw classes for quals and they allow me to draw on the line and practice tactical reloads.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Do online first person shooter games count? If so I have literally MILLIONS of rounds downrange and a huge number of dog tags collected! In fact I have been known to "shoot" for hours and HOURS a day everyday of the summer vacation.
    I think my wife might have plans to shoot the computer.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Every two to three weeks, I take one of my carry guns to the range for practice and fire 150 to 250 rounds
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    Do online first person shooter games count? If so I have literally MILLIONS of rounds downrange and a huge number of dog tags collected! In fact I have been known to "shoot" for hours and HOURS a day everyday of the summer vacation.
    I think my wife might have plans to shoot the computer.

I try to get to the range twice a month. I shoot 50 rounds of .38 from my Ladysmith (gotta ration what I have, since it's so danged hard to locate) and then a bunch from the Walther P22 or one of the 22 rifles, just for fun.

Found some ammo lately, so will shoot more often now. Getting a pool put in this month. So now I will have dirt for a back stop for the gun range I've been wanting to make on my property. My wife just started shooting when we took our CW course. She is excited about shooting more. That's if I can get her out of the pool!
    Bosun
    Semper Paratus
    "Never choose a life at sea--it holds you like a prison"

I go weekly, shooting at least 150 rounds in 5 round groups with EDC working on accuracy at varying distances.
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Quote Originally Posted by NCConcealed View Post
    Well i like to practice at least once a month, but the local range wont let you draw your weapon, fire at a distance less that 15yds, and no rapid firing. so i asked what i am supposed to do tell the guy to back up 15 yds and hold still so i can hit him twice in 3 seconds? Anyone know any good ranges near Fayetteville, NC that would allow more training??
    24 or so years ago I shot my first Flintlock at McKellars lodge on post. I'll bet its still open. Its an outdoor range and from what I remember I think you could do various shooting drills without violating the range rules....this was 24 years ago so you might want to check if the range rules have changed...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    PM sent!

Tom
    Whatever your reason is I don't' think you can have much more fun than shooting a .22 LR. Pistol or revolver.

I have one of each. My Taurus revolver is just fun. I can shoot anything out of it.

My Walther P22 semi auto only likes FMJ either HP or ball nose. CCI Ball or HP seems to work fine. I usually shoot FMJ but sometimes Remington HP not covered in copper, the pistol jambs frequently in the little Walther but not the Taurus.

Tomorrow, I will not take anything with me besides my Kimber 1911
    About 100 rounds and I will be done. I am a member so it is free.
    I will shoot Winchester and Hormandy FMJ only.

Maybe I will take a Sig I have a .40 and 9mm slide. I will use the 9mm since I have much more ammo for it than the .40.

I like shooting the P250 It is a great pistol that more should try, there is just not to like about it.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I try to go at least once per week, sometimes 2. With a membership it makes it a lot cheaper. Sometimes I shoot my EDC and then others will mix it with the safe queens and the 22 for fun and depending on the ammo supplies.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Since the ammo shortage - not at all.
    Before that - twice a month.

Bobo
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other"
    ~John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    The ammo shortage has hit me hard. I'm trying to save a decent supply to last the rest of my life for SD. I honestly believe the ammo market will never really recover and after the 2010 elections, if the dems still have it i believe we'll see a complete assault weapons ban and some kind of legislation to hinder ammo sales or impact the cost.

I think we've turned a corner and that we'll never turn back unless there's an armed revolt sometime in the future. I believe this firmly for many different reasons so I've modified what I shoot and I'm "rationalizing" what guns I have and what I should still purchase while it's possible. What I mean by rationalizing is thinking long and hard about what I'm really likely to need.

I have started loading up on CCI Mini-Mags because my Walther P22 loves them and I'm using that gun to practice more.

Now I absolutely know I'll never get into IDPA (sp?) and I know I won't be buying many more guns at all. I'm not going to stockpile 10,000 rounds per caliber becasue frankly, even in the proverbial SHTF scenarios, no one is really going to have to or be able to sit there and defend their home thru thousands of rounds.

So I'm bummed about it all and only get out once a month or every month and a half.

Was at least 100 rounds once a week, pistol. Now about every two weeks. Took my wife out to an outdoor range and she went thru 100 rounds 22. A cheap date!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smile Lucky Lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Tallinthesaddle View Post
    Was at least 100 rounds once a week, pistol. Now about every two weeks. Took my wife out to an outdoor range and she went thru 100 rounds 22. A cheap date!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wish I could say that. My wife will crank thru 100 rounds of 45 right quick, but she hates shooting anything else. Durndest thang I ever saw.

Distinguished Member
    Maybe once a month, it cost me $85 today for 120 rounds of 9mm where I shoot for, two 50 round boxes of 115 gr. American Eagle and one 20 round box of Speer 124 gr. +p GD.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links